[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scientific Papers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1432720187194.jpg (198KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1432720187194.jpg
198KB, 1920x1080px
If someone were to download say, a whole lot of scientific papers from a university library and dump them on like, TPB, would that be useful to anyone? Would it be illegal?
>>
>>8738313

No and yes. You can already find all that kind of shit on #bookz and similar sites.
>>
>>8738313
Yes it would be illegal. One of the co-founders of Reddit actually got prosecuted for doing a large dump, and committed suicide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz
>>
>>8738313
no it wouldnt be useful, http://sci-hub.bz/ already exists, and it's illegal
>>
>>8738313
ISO documents are a total bitch to open and read even on university connections

should not standards be open? holy shit I get triggered
>>
>>8738333
>On January 6, 2011, Swartz was arrested by MIT police on state breaking-and-entering charges, after connecting a computer to the MIT network in an unmarked and unlocked closet, and setting it to download academic journal articles systematically from JSTOR using a guest user account issued to him by MIT.[11][12] Federal prosecutors later charged him with two counts of wire fraud and eleven violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act,[13] carrying a cumulative maximum penalty of $1 million in fines, 35 years in prison, asset forfeiture, restitution, and supervised release.[14]

HAHAHAHA he got totally BTFO what a fag!

>He committed suicide while under federal indictment for his alleged computer crimes.[15] Swartz declined a plea bargain under which he would have served six months in federal prison. Two days after the prosecution rejected a counter-offer by Swartz, he was found dead in his Brooklyn apartment, where he had hanged himself.[15][16]
>In June 2013, Swartz was inducted posthumously into the Internet Hall of Fame.[17][18]

Internet Hall of Fame? For what, killing himself after fucking his life up totally beyond any hope of repair?
>>
>>8738339
the idiots who think they can keep a lid on digital information need to just die off already or create better business models already, there's the greatest widespread ability of all time to spread information and they just want to hinder it. movies, music and books still haven't adapted at all but at the very least video games have through distributors like Steam
>>
is it illegal to just download a ton of journal articles and not share them?
>>
also, why the fuck would you do it from a closet in the school???
>>
>>8738339
Honestly, I doubt he would have gotten a serious punishment. They probably were just trying to scare him and get him to plea bargain, and make an example of him. It's confusing that he killed himself, since this was ostensibly a premeditated act of civil disobedience and he should have known what would happen.
>>
>>8738361

Nope, he turned down a six month plea deal, he was heading to federal "pound me in the ass" prison for the next three decades.
>>
>>8738379
Lol
>>
>>8738343
Could depend on your jurisdiction. Broadly speaking, downloading isn't a crime unless you share/upload. But if you are downloding via a torrent, you are uploading at the same time automatically and you can't switch that off. But use a VPN and no-one can see your activity. Check it's a VPN that doesn't keep logs. Useful news articles at Torrentfreak, and I believe there's a Redditt about torrenting as well.
>>
>>8738313
sci hub already does this
>>
>>8738348
He probably set a small script to run automatically and left a computer in the closet. He didn't sit there like some academic paper-goblin.
>>
>>8738339
>35 years in prison
>for copying some 0s and 1s
>pedos, rapist, and murders get less time

Setting an example much?
>>
>>8740275
I guess it sort of backfired now that he's a martyr.
>>
>>8738313
>see pic of graphene
>get excited thinking that we may be discussing graphene
>turned out OP is just asking a stupid dumbass question with no relation to graphene
>>
>>8738313
Yes. Yes. Do it faggot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.