[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is math invented or discovered /sci/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

Is math invented or discovered /sci/?
>>
>>8738059
Derived from axioms.
>>
Math is an invented system which can be used to discover truths
>>
Invented
>>
Math was invented to explain systems that operate within in construct. The universe is discoverable but our brains have to take a third step after observation and analysis to understand its complexities. Making 2=B is an understanding between entities to describe the value of B or 2, not a discovery.
>>
I say even God discovered it.
>>
in my opinion it's an invention in the sense that we have some common agreement on certain rules and play the game from there
>>
Invented but emergent.

In the same way we humans invented Smash Bros but discovered wave-dashing.
>>
Is pattern recognition invented or discovered?
>>
The rules are invented, the outcomes are discovered
>>
>>8738059

Math is a language game, it's purely created. The "discoveries" mathematicians make are simply the consequences of the axioms they're "playing" with.
>>
numbers were invented, but math was discovered.
I mean, the egyptians were slapping Pythagorean theorems long before him.
>>
The biggest redpill is to realise Mathematics is a human tool like anything else and holds no objectivity whatsoever.
>>
math is man's imperfect model of the world/universe. it will never solve any purpose outside of letting delusional people think they can play god.
>>
It's engineered, architected, designed, and produced. On some days in tedium
>>
>>8738213

This person has the right idea.

>>8738065
>>8738316

mealy-mouthed bullshit from wimps who think that not picking a side makes them look smart.

>>8738405

This person is a blithering idiot.

>>8738409

This is the worst post in the thread.

Mathematics is straight discovered, my dudes. The thing of it is that it doesn't even take but a little straight thought to arrive at that correct conclusion. Much of the wish to say that mathematics, of all things (one of the few things that /isn't/ invented, you ought to be reminded, just to get it absolutely right) is "somewhere in between" is again a wish from people who haven't actually thought very hard about the subject, to play-act an "even-handed", "educated" role.
>>
>>8738458
>t. idiot who knows nothing at all about mathematics
>>
File: internet_meme.png (127KB, 500x737px) Image search: [Google]
internet_meme.png
127KB, 500x737px
>>8738460

Nope, I have a bachelor's. Now you can wimp back about the degree itself, but the point here is that your intimation is quite false.

Do you see this onion? It is wrong. Like you.
>>
>>8738458
Without doubt the worst post made today.
>>
>>8738470

Not at all. You can't argue your corner on its own merits. You cannot destroy me. You couldn't even do it if you really got flustered and actually tried. And yes, I am goading you, in order to enjoy seeing you and others fail, once you are actually obliged to explain your views to a vigorous opponent; and this because most of /sci/ wrongly comes down on the "invented" side, or worse does the hemming-and-hawing stuff that has already been exhibited.

Mathematical truths persist independently of our observation of them. Fight me (you can't).
>>
It's invented, vector spaces weren't observed by telescopes, integrals weren't dug out by archeologists and infinitesimals weren't found under a microscope, people just made up stuff and then just wonder what if I change this, what if I change that, do I need that assumption, how do I generalise that theorem for ridiculously abstract case. It just so happens some of the maths can describe models of reality. Note how most of mathematical concepts are first invented and they are used in physics or other branches of science years of tens of years later (if at all)
>>
>>8738059
We invent methods of representing natural phenomena on paper, and then discover logical outcomes from there.
>>
>>8738059

Both.
>>
>>8738063
For these kinds of nonsensical questions,
the best answer is always one of the first posts.

True. Derived from axioms.
>>
File: spivak.png (20KB, 681x427px) Image search: [Google]
spivak.png
20KB, 681x427px
If it's invented, who invented this?
>>
>>8738059
It was always here anon.
>>
>>8738747
Some dude
>>
>>8738458
>Mathematics is straight discovered, my dudes. The thing of it is that it doesn't even take but a little straight thought to arrive at that correct conclusion. Much of the wish to say that mathematics, of all things (one of the few things that /isn't/ invented, you ought to be reminded, just to get it absolutely right) is "somewhere in between" is again a wish from people who haven't actually thought very hard about the subject, to play-act an "even-handed", "educated" role.

You could create a system of Mathematics around any set of axioms, buddy.

Wake up!
>>
>>8738059
math is discovered
notation is invented
>>
>>8738059
Mathematical objects/systems are invented
their properties are discovered
>>
what if universal grammar does exisst and a special form of it applies to our quantitative understanding ("maths") of nature?
>>
File: 1488114386026.jpg (221KB, 1024x570px) Image search: [Google]
1488114386026.jpg
221KB, 1024x570px
>>8738059
If there are ayylmaos out there somewhere who are about as advanced as us, I wonder how differently they do math to us...
>>
>>8738476
You sound like a teenage atheist who just realised god didn't exist and wanted to prove the world about it. A fair mix of retardation and autism.

To adress your point, mathematical truth exists, but the choice we made amongst the truths we exprime and the way we express them were invented.
>>
>>8738731
Nonsensical? Most great mathematicians dabbled with them.

Mathematics is both invented and discovered. We invent the axioms and logic which we then use to discover the consequences of them (theorems).
>>
>>8738772
>advanced ayylmaos come to earth
>we tell them about math
>"what the fuck is a prime number"
>"what the fuck is an integer"
>"what the fuck is probability"

The twist: they instantly understand Mochizuki's IUT and use it to trivially prove the Riemann hypothesis
>"what the fuck is a million dollars"
>>
>>8738059
Mathematical models are created to represent the concepts we discover.
>>
>>8738812
And such concepts are mathematical in themselves (even without their models).
>>
>>8738059
I don't know actual shit about math, but isn't it simply the science of quantity? Quantity has its own intrinsic features, mathmaticians discovere them, describe them through invented models and convey them through an invented language. The concept doesn't seem different from any other science.
>>
>>8738780
only real answer in this thread
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.