[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hyperloop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: 928347923874-hyperloop_1024.jpg (108KB, 1024x415px) Image search: [Google]
928347923874-hyperloop_1024.jpg
108KB, 1024x415px
is there anyone here that thinks that this will actually work? this isn't actually going to be a commercially viable transportation option is it? can you imagine a bunch of pneumatic tubes in the air? god what a dumb idea
>>
>>8737037
Seems like a fine idea to me. Obviously, you don't understand the technology.
>>
even the slightest bit of friction will cause the thing to crash. it's a screaming metal death trap
>>
>>8737037
>>8737052
>he's never played air hockey
>>
It could work, but the advantages to a Maglev train are pretty slim and the disadvantages enormous. A maglev train can go 500-600 km/h top speed and the pods in a hyperloop could theoretically go 1000-1100km/h. Both concepts though are not really useable for larger distances than let's say 500 kilometres, and it isn't such a huge difference if you travel that in 30 or 60 minutes. The hyperloop though is way more expensive to build and maintain, and there are countless security risks.
>>
>>8737037
Moving transportation off the ground is brilliant, especially for wildlife and stuff. Having roads everywhere was a good thing but clearly maintenance is a problem, who knows how much extra heat it causes having all the asphalt heat up across miles and miles of it. Making high speed travel very accessible is just amazing too.
>>
>>8737037
Thunderf00t already debunked this and Elon Musk is distancing himself from the project.
>>
>>8737052
What isn't these day, honestly
I drive be a screaming metal death, go fome and cook food in a metal death trap, heat water for a shower in a metal death trap...
>>
>>8737052
t. idiot
>>
File: spurdo hyberloob.gif (64KB, 720x403px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo hyberloob.gif
64KB, 720x403px
"hurr durr"
-Elmer Bodyodor
>>
>>8737596
>thundercuc

Top kek m8. He "debunked" nothing, all he did was prove that he's a moron.
>>
File: doyouknowhereyouare.jpg (16KB, 345x146px) Image search: [Google]
doyouknowhereyouare.jpg
16KB, 345x146px
>>8737596
>Elon Musk is distancing himself from the project.
Sir, I'm gonna have to see some sources and argumentations.
>>
>>8737059
>superconductors are more viable now than air pressure.

what the fuck are you doing here?
>>
>>8737776
I feel it in my bones.
>>
>>8737596
>thunderfoot
>same guy who jumped all over Amos-6 as definitely being caused by improper seals between the fuel and oxidizer tanks despite having no understanding of launch vehicle engineering beyond 'rocket engines are hard because fire is hot'

Thunderfoot thinks that because he plays with liquid NaK and high speed cameras that he knows shit about engineering. Yes, solar roadways/plastic roads/self filling water-bottles are bullshit, but anyone could tell you that. Shitting all over a few student prototypes because the competition was funded by Elon doesn't say anything about the technology.

If Elon started up a hyperloop company, and after several months of R&D and prototyping unveiled a test rig that performed like the ones we saw during the competition, then yeah maybe it'd make sense to think hyperloop isn't going to work. However, what we saw were projects put together by students on a shoestring budget.

Besides, Elon has said from the beginning that hyperloop is just an idea and it has problems. He's also said that he'd like to leave hyperloop to be developed by someone else, probably because a system of transport that decreases travel time by a moderate amount probably isn't really that much of a game changer, on Earth anyway. Hyperloop would make a lot more sense on Mars or the Moon, for example, where air travel obviously isn't an option.
>>
>>8738117
Elon is losing it. He's digging in California and promising to fix Australia's energy problems in 100 days or it's free. He knows Hyperloop is a stupid idea and is throwing it at those students and burying it under new projects to get away from it. It's not like I worship thunderf00t but at least he's straight forward as far as his science videos go and doesn't bury times when he's wrong like Musk does.
>>
>>8738504

Hahaha what? Has Thundercuck EVER admitted when he gets something wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJa9tQyMXDc
>>
>>8738532
Thundie has a massive ego. I was fuzzy on the feasibility of the hyperloop, but the whitepaper is actually pretty impressive and if it does get built, we get to troll the shit out of thunderfoot for the rest of his youtube career.
>>
>>8738532
He already addressed this and even went into some of the inaccuracies in a comment on part 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx52A-v65Q8
>>
>>8738564
>He already addressed this
>meh.... more a nick pick than a killed... or are you suggesting the they hyperloop is completely fine and I have no valid criticism?
>In either even, you ignore the momentum of the column of air.... ~10x the mass of the capsule... and the compression effects you will get off it.
>You assume the capsule can survive the acceleration and the 'water hammer' effects. After all its a capsule designed to run in a vacuum, within mm of a steel tube... Im sure its trivial to make sure there are no tolerance failures for a capsule doing that at nearly the speed of sound while getting hit by a 1 atm pressure wave.
>You ignore the fact that even with a mere 2g acceleration within 10 seconds you will be travelling at 2/3rds the speed of sound ON A HEAD ON COLLISION with a capsule heading towards you at the speed of sound. Go ahead bullets guy..... what is the g force sustained by a head on collision of two busses travelling at the speed of sound. Whatever it is Im sure its survivable right!... yeah... you really killed me there!
>What was that you were saying... its important to correct your mistakes?
>PS I love the way to take pages of math to explain the most trivial phenomena! U so smart!

Not a single coherent rebuttal, just a gormless restatement of a point refuted in full in the video. Also nice passive-aggressive snark there, because FUCK being accurate amirite?
>>
File: 1396892784045.jpg (47KB, 552x558px) Image search: [Google]
1396892784045.jpg
47KB, 552x558px
They will make a half assed and much less efficient version.
It will work but will be just as fast as regular high speed train.
Will be used as an attraction for some time and then taken apart for scrap.
>>
>>8737059
he is obviously doing it because it has off-world applications.
>>
>>8738577
Sweetie, no, hyperloop isn't happening. He used facts and figures to form his rebuttal and you can't just ignore it.
>>
>>8737052
You sound like every single old fart in the face of any new technology
>>
>>8738590

I didn't ignore it, I watched it and had a good laugh at his total ignorance of engineering. Scientists shouldn't opine outside their specialty, it just makes them look foolish.
>>
>>8737780
That shanghai maglev thing doesn't use superconductors
>>
File: Capture.png (140KB, 1012x679px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
140KB, 1012x679px
>>8737037
Their stupid test track was already the second largest vac chamber in the world and it took hours to get it to near vacuum.

Also what the fuck is up with letting student design this? What the fuck is the point of this?
We have had maglev trains for decades now. Just miniaturize one of those and and put it in a tube.

Actually, don't put it in a tube at all. Just create maglevs.
Putting it in a vacuum sounds like a cool idea to overcome drag until you realize the problems it brings with it. I doubt it is worth it over the extra energy it costs to overcome the drag.

Honestly if you want fast interstate or intercontinental travel we should bring back the concorde or even invest in orbital planes like skylon.
>>
>>8738589
The air on mars is way thinner than on earth though. How much speed are you going to gain by building a vacuum tube around the rail? I don't think it would be really worth it. Also, travel time is like the least important thing for a Mars colony. I mean, I respect Musk, but he also talks a lot of bullshit between the good things he says.
>>
>>8738623
offworld doesnt mean just mars, use ur brain, where else are there vacuums.
>>
>>8738627
Hyperloop is about the tube though. The pod in it is just a usual Maglev.
>>
"Swissmetro" is basically the same thing and was proposed over a decade ago. It's a vacuum tunnel with a Maglev in it. It would be completely underground. Was not considered because the economics side of it is absurd.
>>
>>8737052
Name one mode of transportation besides walking that isn't a metal death trap
>>
>>8738788
canoeing
>>
>>8737596
Thunderf00t made numerous errors in his video "debunking" the hyperloop, such as implying that a vacuum failure would accelerate the capsule like a bullet. And Elon Musk is not distancing himself from the project, since thundercuck has just recently uploaded a video criticizing an Elon Musk sponsored hyperloop event.
>>
>>8737059
>A maglev train can go 500-600 km/h top speed
Yeah, but the average speed over a journey is a little above 300 km/h in practice, while the expected average speed of a hyperloop journey is about 900 km/h, an almost three-fold improvement. And to me it seems that we won't see commercial maglev trains that travel at an average speed of 600 km/h any soon, because the air drag increases the power requirements, and thus the costs, so much that it becomes uneconomical, like the Concorde.

>>8737780
Maglev trains are already used commercially, and the hyperloop itself will be just another maglev train.
>>
>>8738629
Yeah, and even the turbine is redundant if you're on a planet and not in a vacuum tube.
>>
>i care about thunderfoot
>i care about what elon musk does
Go outside seriously
>>
>>8738615
>Their stupid test track was already the second largest vac chamber in the world and it took hours to get it to near vacuum.
You're the type of person who thinks it takes half an hour to boil ten eggs if it takes three minutes to boil one.
>Also what the fuck is up with letting student design this? What the fuck is the point of this?
I didn't get that either, I guess it was just a publicity stunt that backfired a bit (even a student can design a hyperloop capsule... wait, they can't).
>>
>>8737058
But theres no/ very little air in the tube anon.
>>
>>8738615

>invest in orbital planes like Skylon

There isn't really a market for space planes like Skylon (excluding the defense market).

Skylon might have seen more funding during the 1960's when everyone was toying with building Mach 3+ bombers, commercial airliners and building concept space planes. It seems as if the Skylon came way too late to the game.

Yes yes I know of Richard Branson's little hobby. But Richard has money, and more importantly he has the ability to raise capital.

Reaction Engines has a hard time getting funds from the British Government. Nevermind they are still developing their engines.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see the Skylon fly. But I think we will see the maglev business boom before the concept of orbital space flight take off.

Side note: Orbital space planes will be built loooooong before launch loops, space elevators and other popsci nonsense will.
>>
>>8738794
I have an aluminum canoe
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z48pSwiDLIM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *wheezes*
>>
>>8739473

Get the fuck out of here
>>
>>8737052
i agree with this notion but it could probably be refined to the point in which it's very safe and robust. Like humanity has done with airplanes.

>>8737037
I don't think it's technologically nonviable I think it's nonviable as to the demand and want of it. Traditional methods are more robust, mostly already in place, well-established (in terms of industry) and cheaper.
>>
>>8737037
>is there anyone here that thinks that this will actually work?
Pour enough money into it and it will work. And it sounds like the Emirs are pouring a lot of money into it now.
>>
>>8737037
Makes sense if they can get the numbers musk originally proposed. It's position on the Von Karmen-Gabrielli diagram is rather favorable
>>
>>8739184
>>8738615
>vacuum

It LITERALLY rises on a cushion of air, hyperloop =/= a vacuum tube.
>>
>>8741306
You're fucking dumb, it is very obvious that none of those two posters was talking about a perfect vacuum, just a partial vacuum. And it is called a vacuum/vacuum chamber even if the vacuum is only partial. From wikipedia:
>In engineering and applied physics on the other hand, vacuum refers to any space in which the pressure is lower than atmospheric pressure.
>>
>>8739254
eggs take 8 minutes to boil properly unless you keep the flame on like a mongoloid
>>
>>8741763
You're the type of person who would say "I know John, and he has no little brother", when reading "John and his little brother together have 23 pens. [...]" in the math textbook.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.