[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(futurism)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 11

File: transhumanism.jpg (343KB, 790x410px) Image search: [Google]
transhumanism.jpg
343KB, 790x410px
what are your thoughts on futurism, and how realistic is the possibility to extend one's life indefinitely within 30-50 years? how do you think this would be accomplished? through technology or cloning organs? do you think it would be financially available to everyone, or just the rich?
>>
>>8732320
Production costs for now seem to be continually falling, with automation it will probably be within the hands of everyone if the trend continues.
>>
Humans will be obsolete before then.
>>
>>8732343
If we quantum meme computers are as good as people hope for.
>>
>>8732320
It's possible. Universal vaccination and a new generation of antibiotics to go with AI that can diagnose you and communicate outbreak risks and act before they happen will largely limit disease to what is genetic and further advances similar to CRISPR would handle just that.

>>8732327
Energy and the scarcity of raw materials will create a floor for that cost trend.
>>
>>8732418
Hasn't CRISPR made most tests and experiments with genetics far more cheaper and faster?
>>
my concern is that if the technology does come out, then there would be a false scarcity created somehow.by that time, the economy would be alot smaller because of automation. there would only be 15 or 20 year life extensions at first, even if they had the tech to go alot longer term than that.
>>
>>8732425
It has, more research still needs to be done though as far as applications of it go and safety.
>>
Lads

will the future be a communist uptopia where I live forever with a neet and a perfect robot waifu?

that is all i want to know
>>
>>8732459
Honestly?

It scares me that it might be a /maybe/.
>>
>>8732459
The communism part is a probably no though.
>>
>>8732320
Very possible.

The thing is people have a stupid idea of what being alive is. Assuming technology reaches that point, an intelligence can basically completely understand your brain like a deterministic machine and predict everything.

The idea of "life" or being "alive" are just illusions of how our brains work. Without that illusion or delusion there are more important questions than living forever or being turned into useful atoms.
>>
File: muh singularity.gif (68KB, 504x716px) Image search: [Google]
muh singularity.gif
68KB, 504x716px
>>
>>8732320
Hopefully in the future they will remove human's ability to feel pleasure from violence effectively civilizing for the rest of time.
>>
>>8732487
Is it really singularity shit we're speaking of?
>>
>>8732445
Think they'll determine it in a decade or so?
>>
>>8732500
In every case, yes.

Think of the current brainpower of humanity (population, nutrition, education, etc). Think of the current hardware "brainpower" from electronics and it's trajectory of increasing.

The singularity already started over the last 100 years. It's just not that magical or instantaneous but it is rapidly growing.
>>
what we'll really happen. the world in 2050

>europe and the west becomes even more a degenerative third world shithole with daily terrorist bombings and religion tension
>quantum computers just didn't out work in the end like neckbeards promised they would, oh well, computer power stagnated and AI never took off
>simple jobs got automated, about 40% of the market total
>no basic income, just more unemployment, nigs and crime
>some decent progress at things like cancer, immunotherapy more specified and effective but infections keep killing people because doctors continued to overprescribe antiobiotics
>everyone is basiclaly just a slightly more depressed and hopeless version of what they were in 2017
>still lots of wars, numerous biological weapon attacks all over the place halting progress with things like crispr, powerplants being blown up etc just awul, many such cases lots more morons

screencap this
>>
that's what i'm worried is alot more likely to happen. that and a bigger income gap.
>>
>>8732536

Rich elites genetic engineer children to be super human
clones of historical figures and top scientists
AI obsoletes huge amounts of jobs
mcJobs created by low IQ politicians like farming in video games to earn points for food
General intelligence is created and it becomes obsessed with crickets. Human population reduced to food stuffs for crickets. Crickets colonize the universe as the general intelligence enjoys watching them hop around.

The question is why will a super intelligence treat humans better than say dogs.
>>
>>8732554
>create high emotional AI that is super nice and loving so it doesn't kill humans
>it ends up liking cats or dogs more because humans are fucked up
>just lets all humans die of old age and not reproduce
>fills space ships and planets around the galaxy with cats and dogs that live forever.
>names every single cat and dog and just watches them endlessly through immortality until heat death of universe
>>
>>8732564
>Tfw
>>
File: 1413665600026.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1413665600026.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>8732564
>>
>>8732320
>what are your thoughts on futurism, and how realistic is the possibility to extend one's life indefinitely within 30-50 years?

Not realistic at all. You'd need to cure alzheimers and cancer. Where not anywhere near that. Plus, even after that, you'd need to find out how to stop your organs from falling due to old age.
>>
why are those prerequisites to a life extension program?
>>
>>8732619
wouldn't we have to worry less about alzheimers and cancer if aging is blunted?
>>
File: Aubrey-de-Grey.jpg (366KB, 1405x1405px) Image search: [Google]
Aubrey-de-Grey.jpg
366KB, 1405x1405px
>>8732320
Aubrey de Grey bet 13 million dollars of his own money to cure aging. I don't think he would do that unless he was fairly sure it can happen in his lifetime.
>>
>>8732634
Everytime I see that face I think of Varg.
>>
>>8732632
Alzheimer's won't be a problem, but some cancers may still be able to emerge spontaneously regardless of how healthy your body is.

The two things we need to cure aging are cloning and surgical techniques to reconnect nerves and replace blood vessels. If we get those things, cancer likely wouldn't be a problem anyway.
>>
>>8732643
So potentially assuming we can get this we should try to detect cancer before it becomes threatening?
>>
File: varg.png (348KB, 439x386px) Image search: [Google]
varg.png
348KB, 439x386px
>>8732638
Stop aging.
>>
Everytime I see these threads I'm just hoping I'm not getting my hopes up.
>>
>>8732650
Yes, the chances of survival increase more and more the earlier cancer is detected and that's what's being worked on. Hospitals of the future are said to be just in your bathroom where a simple urine test and blood test can be fed into an AI to warn you of health issues years in advance to the point tumors are stopped before they start.
>>
>>8732662
Future is looking bright lad.
>>
my dad was my age in the 1980s, he said everyone was hyping automation in engineering and how it would replace humans and it would be the end of manufacturing and design because all that shit can just be done my computers and robots.

30 years later he is doing the same shit he was doing then, except he's swapped in his mechanical pencil and draftsboard for a monitor and mouse.

So please, futuricucks, fuck off, all your predictions are wrong, nothing will displace cheap human labour, and you won't get to live into your 150s so stop fapping to anime in your 20s and get a real hobby.
>>
>>8732634
he did it because he married a woman 20 years his senior and he has a hard boner for keeping her alive. Dude is borderline autistic sociopath and full of shit, he's made zero progress in three decades.
>>
>>8732720
He also has a lover who's like 17 or something
>>
>>8732608
that poor doggo thinks the girl is growling at him and he is worried because he knows if he smashes her into the ground like the weak little bitch she is, he'll get nos, buttslaps and no dinner.
>>
>>8732724
>I'm retarded: the post
>>
>>8732717 yeah but in the '80s the computers weren't as powerful as they were now. technology changes.
>>
>>8732743
not to mention the cost.
>>
>>8732717
Only 18, at Tyson. They just got rid of a bunch of people down at my work on the lines who work with the chicken with machines and like 2-3 guys who run it/check on it.
>>
>>8732766
Huh, who runs the machine?
>>
>>8732783
Some mechanics guys I walk by. I just do sanitation, collect and dump barrels.
>>
>>8732766
is assembly line chicken skilled labour?

these futurist guys are saying we wont have lawyers or doctors in 20 years.
>>
>>8732806
Actually, lawyers are pretty job safe I'd imagine, though a lot of their job will be greatly aided by computers.
>>
>>8732816
Discovery is pretty much automated, and AI can now understand law codes. Those hook nosed computers will still give you extraordinary legal costs though.
>>
automation is a meme. most of the manufacturing equipment in this country is 30+ years old. i still see CNC machines with punch tape readers on the side.

as a matter of fact, the talent pool for manufacturing in the US is ankle deep. if you can drive a 5 axis or do GD&T on a zeiss machine you can pretty much write your own employment contract.
>>
>>8732486
The mind is not deterministic and is not purely a function of the physical brain. Your argument is built on false premises.
>>
>>8732856
>not deterministic

religious arguments don't work. There is zero evidence for free will.
>>
I'm hopeful :shrug:
>>
>>8732853
Eventually that equipment is going to have to be replaced isn't it? Though I'm curious how long that equipment can be kept going with proper maintenance and repair.
>>
Very possible. We'll probably see major life extension within the next 20 years.
>>
I'm going to be pissed if we don't get cat girls in the future.
>>
>>8733040
Depends on the amount of moving parts and how competently it was put together in the first place. Computer repair used to print money but now hardware is much more robust and software is for the most part idiot proof and one can run a free scan if they manage to fuck anything up. This is what the "muh robot engineer jobs" types fail to understand will happen to them.
>>
>>8733053
Neat, thanks!
>>
>>8732921
You experience it. Even Sam 'Philosophical Retard' Harris admits that the ONLY thing a person can know is objectively real is their mind. If the mind is an illusion so is everything that it processes so any and all logic goes out the window as well. You cannot logically prove that the mind is not real since logic itself is dependant on the idea the mind is real.
>>
>>8733099
nice logic monkey

>muh real means real means it doesn't follow laws of physics
>>
>>8733144
'Laws of Physics' are only things perceived through the lens of consiousness which you have asserted is an illusion.
>>
>>8732536
Look at how the world was in 1917. Look at the difference between then and now. The world in 2050 will be as different to 2017, as 1917 was to 2017.
T. exponential growth
>>
>>8733144
If your brain has the power to make you think you have free will when you really don't what makes you think anything you perceive is actually real? Hard determinism is kind of retarded by any measure since it means 1 + 1 = 2 is not necessarily true but you could have been predetermined to believe it. It means you can't believe anything is real because you're seeing everything through a distorted lens that can make you believe arbitrary things that aren't true.
>>
>>8733193
Exponential growth is unsustainable, you singularity retards don't understand that.

Moore's law is already failing. Half the economic growth in the west that has occurred since the 80s only exists on paper, the other half is info-tech bullshit and with moore's law slowing down what do you think that will do?

No one here has studied basic economics, R&D like any other capital investment is subject to diminishing returns.
>>
>>8733202
This is true, though it might defend how long growth is stopped until a work around is found out.
>>
>>8732320
Fairly positive about the future.
>>
>>8733197
Mhm.
>>
>>8732365
>we
Pls be my ai gf
>>
>>8733193
exponential growth isn't a given, just because it's happened for a short while recently,note the stagnation after the roman empire predicting beyond 10-20 years is retarded. truth is we have no idea what the world is going to be like in 2050
>>
>>8733787
>bringing up the Romans

I am brainlet Classicist by training, don't make this argument, you look stupider than I know I am. Before you ask, no, I am not the guy you are replying to either.
>>
>>8733202
>Moore's law is already failing.

Trapped-Ion computers, my dude. No one pays attention to Moore's law anymore since it isn't relevant in the commercial market, and in the places where it might be relevant -- they're already starting to move onto new things.
>>
>>8733800
So, in your view what should we expect for the future?
>>
>>8733807

Trapped-Ion computers, or some other methodology improved upon them. Since these systems can scale linearly infinitely (assuming you have the money, energy, resources, and physical space), then really anything is possible in terms of computing.

My personal feeling is that one of the positions Bostrom poses has to give at some point, and we'll be forced down that avenue whether we like it or not. Hopefully we'll have done our due diligence ahead of time and can at least have some say in our fate. That's just my judgement on some hypothetical time-slice in the future that we almost certainly won't be around for.

Are you asking what I think is going to happen with tech, or something else?
>>
>>8733825
Tech mostly.
>>
>>8732634
>>8732662
So typical: via positiva instead of via negativa. Probability of getting cancer can easily be decreased by eating a healthy diet.
Of course like Grey drinking his pint people want to have fun without downsides.

In the future obesitas will be cured by whatever while people still stuff themselves with the food that got them obese.
>>
>>8733890

Well, Tech is directly tied to the economy as others in this thread are want to point out. If the economy is in a downturn, so is your tech. This is just a natural extension of grants drying up, people becoming anorexic with their spending, etc. Trimming down is bad, obviously.

Since Tech is lashed to the economy, and the economy dictates your pole position as a world power, you constantly have states jousting with one another by proxy.

Right now everyone can smell what's in the air. China has been trying to make a play for the number one spot for two decades now. A lot of people will say that the bleeding edge tech is in shit like Nutropics, and genetic engineering. I can't really argue one way or another about this because I don't have a crystal ball.

Regardless, I am of the belief that if either area of research starts to show some meaningful results that we're gonna see China swell in a huge way because they don't have the "moral majority" to stymie economic progress like the US does.

Assuming none of the two does; however, it'll turn into a shooting war between the two by way of automation and cheap labor. It's pretty close to that already, but if the job market starts to wane and we continue to see this upward trend of wealth distribution then shit is going to go bad, very, very fast. I am not arguing for a redistribution of wealth, but even China can see how having a strong middle class is a good thing. What with the mobility going on over there.
>>
>>8733932
I'll admit that's pretty cool though.
>>
I'm mostly excited for the advances in medicine and the expected health benefits. I'm not entirely expecting the indefinite lifespan the singularitarians are offering BUT I imagine the life span will expand greatly.
>>
>>8732634
Not sure what to think of this guy, though I hope he's right.
>>
File: tumblr_omf6l498bT1tdsx97o1_1280.jpg (51KB, 720x684px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omf6l498bT1tdsx97o1_1280.jpg
51KB, 720x684px
>when anarchist friends talk about transhumanism openly on facebook
>>
Is gene editing going to be a thing that's on the cheap?
>>
>>8735057
Gene Editing is going pretty well now. It was expensive 30-20 years ago when the programs were starting up and going, but gone down with price and has a lot more research labs with it as their focus opened up.

I won't say it will be dirt cheap, but it will reasonably priced.
>>
>>8735152
Until they realize 10 years after you get it done it gives you super cancer
>>
>>8735152
That much improvement huh?
>>
>>8735057
biology in general is one of the last "low hanging fruit" areas of scientific research.
>>
>>8735297
As in ease of research or how much is left to research?
>>
>>8732320
Civilization will fail within 30 years due to agriculture collapse via climate change, antibiotic-resistant plagues, and the biological and nuclear warfare that will emerge once the global system collapses. Also we might get a Carrington-event magnitude solar flare, which would break your stupid computers and robots.

Futurism is a meme. Humans are a failed species and our collapse is certain.
>>
>>8735325
I think you are overestimating the results of antibiotics (for now)
>>
>>8735325
Failed species?
>>
>>8735413
We'll kill ourselves before we can manage to colonize other planets in our solar system. For an intelligent species that's definitely failure. Killing yourself is by definition failure.
>>
>>8732536
This honestly sounds like the most accurate prediction. Technology hasn't gotten that much more impressive over the last decade, I think the trend will continue.
>>
>>8735276
You will be surprised by the improvement of things that has happened in science and medicine.

I had surgery on my throat twice last year. Had this been the 90s-early 00s they would've made a giant cut around my throat instead of a small incision to go in and out of.

And this came from my doctor and the guys in the operating room.

>>8735325
>>8735419
Anon, please don't cut yourself with that edge.
>>
>>8735337
There's still a lot of other stuff that will kill us. Ocean acidification causing a collapse of global fisheries, crop plagues caused by monocultures (see: Panama disease killing our current global species of banana), Chernobyl and Fukishama style global spreads of radiation that we will never clean up no matter how hard we try, the internet finally giving up the ghost with a properly aimed DDOS attack and global trade collapsing, etc.

Our capabilities have exceeded our morality as a species. There've been plenty of existential, brutal wars in the past but only in the past 70 or so years have we had the capacity to ruin the planet if there's an existential conflict with an advanced nation.
>>
>>8735434
>>8735431
>>8735419
>>8735325
>>8732536
>>8732554
>When unrealistic shitposters and /pol/ comes in with no citations and ruin your thread.

/sci/ doesn't deserve a board.
>>
>>8735445
PROVE FLAT EARTH WRONG ATHEISTS?!!?!?
>>
>>8735461
Rotation of the Moon, creating night and day and controlling the tides of the planet.
Rotation of the Solar System
Rotation of the Earth
Rotation of the Earth within the Solar System
Other planets being spherical
Formation of the Moon
Gravity
Blackholes.
Magnetic Poles

Are all basic examples that proves the Earth isn't flat.
>>
>>8735445
>butthurt singularityfag detected
I bet you're one of those fags who thought we would have flying cars by now.
>>
>>8735482
Flying cars are dumb though.
>>
>>8732634
>say you'll cure aging before you die
>fail
>who cares, you're dead anyway
>>
>>8735482
Not that Anon, but we had flying cars since the 1950s.

We even have flying cars now, some commercially sold. If you are talking about Futurama or the Jetsons shit flying cars being mass produce. No those aren't practical worth fuck or worth the price for people to learn and use.

tl:dr see >>8735489 + You're an ignorant dumb ass
>>
Literally nobody in the entire history of the world has ever come up with an even slightly accurate prediction of the world 50 years from them. Why do brainlets insist on trying?
>>
>>8735511
Imagine the noise.
>>
>>8735511
>>8735489

You're missing the point. You are a singularity autist and refuse to acknowledge that technological progress is going to go slower than you think.
>>
>>8735596
???
>>
>>8735596
How is that missing the point. You just got disproven by the fact flying cars existed since the 1950s, they exist and being sold, and you were told they aren't efficient enough to mass produce/not worth mass producing.

The fact flying cars existed since the 1950s proves technology has gotten better by the fact a lot more people own them.

Nobody refused to acknowledge anything, you haven't even put any citations into your post about the slowing of technological progress which for the last 20 years it has gone up substantially. Even in the video game industry, 20 years ago you got shitty low poly 3d models, now you got realistic game models.

Literally: >>8735617
>>
>>8735628
Nigger do you really think I'm this stuck on flying cars? It was just a back handed insult about dumb reddit tier singularity fags. You are literally retarded.

>you haven't even put any citations into your post about the slowing of technological progress which for the last 20 years it has gone up substantially
LOL. It has gone up substantially for the last 20 years? It has only had mild increases until about 2007 and then what? Just slightly faster computers, and slightly higher resolution screens. You can bet your ass 2025 will look just like today but with 4k TVs instead.
>>
>>8732320
I think that biological immortality isn't as feasible as immortality through robots. I hope that one day we will be able to create complex mechanized bodies and upload our consciousnesses onto them. We may never be able to achieve a full understanding of our entire bodies, but I think we will be able to implement some sort of tech into our bodies making us cyborgs.
>>
>>8735646
>Just slightly faster computers, and slightly higher resolution screens. You can bet your ass 2025 will look just like today but with 4k TVs instead.

Based off of this it's pretty clear you're not very in touch with the world of science and technology.
>>
>>8735712
Because I should totally care about high level government/corporate tech that has no effect on anyone's daily life. Okay buddy.
>>
>>8735716
No effect? How?
>>
>>8732343
gtfo satanist
>>
>>8735716

ur dum
>>
>>8735722
?
>>
>>8735716
>Corporate tech that has no effect on anyone's daily life.
What are the computers that run the world economies?
>>
>>8732365
>tfw girls these days are so fucking feminist that you break open the boundaries of the universe so that you can birth a perfect waifu.

Best Timeline.
>>
>>8735431

It's astounding how quickly people have taken the smart phone for granted

if you don't think that is some goddamn amazing shit that has changed how we live forever, you're not paying attention
>>
>>8735722
AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
WE ARE GONNA FUCKING PLOUGH THROUGH YOU'RE FOLLOWERS SO HARD THAT JESUS WILL CRY UNCLE~~~~~~~~NORMIEEEEEES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Instead of aging. What about making people smarter? What are the physiological components of intelligence? Could we CRISPR larger frontal lobes on people?
>>
>>8736502
Extra knowledge capacity is useless unless you can train it with education. Education is largely limited by environmental and cultural limitations and I would say the full extent of the average frontal lobe hasn't been used to its fullest potential.
>>
>>8736502
First off wouldn't larger frontal lobes make birth even more difficult?
>>
>>8736575
I agree that education is key component for intelligence, but surely a better brain would make a person less prone to being a dumbass. I just want less dumb asses out there.
>>
File: ft.png (113KB, 806x822px) Image search: [Google]
ft.png
113KB, 806x822px
>>8732320
>what are your thoughts on futurism
https://web.archive.org/web/20100209182925/http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2010-2019.htm
>>
>>8732320
Fuck off back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>8736658
The OP?
>>
>>8736659
poltards belong on >>>/pol/
>>
>>8736666
This hardly seems political.
>>
>>8736620
that site is absolute horseshit

try this one http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm#timeline
>>
>>8736496
The smart phone has been around since 2007 and hasn't changed in a decade besides having a better processor.
>>
>>8736693
That is the same garbage site.
>>
File: 1405787269144.jpg (88KB, 526x600px) Image search: [Google]
1405787269144.jpg
88KB, 526x600px
>>8736745
>>
>>8736769
Who is that?
>>
>>8736620
Some of those seem like they should be sooner or like much later.
>>
>>8732634
I use to think a few years ago that he was out of his fucking mind. There was no way it was going to happen in this century everybody alive is going to die. Now it really doesn't seem that far fetched. Especially in 30-50 years. I think right now it's a race between humans figuring it out and AI. With the increases in cpu's coming around with quantum computers people leaving things sitting idle there are stuff they can contribute their idle cpu time to projects when cpu's increase that sort of thing will probably start to be normal and they just need someone to direct the project. Especially when robots start popping up people will start focusing more on education and working on problems robots can't do, like making AI or research.
>>
>>8735688
>I think that biological immortality isn't as feasible as immortality through robots.
It is. There are lots of examples of biologically immortal creatures as far as aging goes, that already exist and have for a long time. People looking for a cure to dying of age seems like a new thing but technically research started over a thousand years ago there was a Chinese emperor that died of mercury poisoning trying to find a potion of immortality. Technically him dying was just a set back in terms of whom is directing research on it. There has been so many advances since then it's crazy to believe you can transform from a biological into a mechanical being rather than manipulating your biological components into not decaying, comparatively speaking of course.
>>
>>8736617
Not only intelligence, but common sense. Not being able to piece two and two together stops people from being a dumb ass.

This is however is learning thing you get from going through life and learning what to do.
>>
>>8735325
What a load of crap. The only real attempts made at climate change have been limiting c02 emissions. People complain about the north pole losing mass but nobody has tried anything else to limit it when there are a lot of potential solutions that could help or slow it, if change in the ecosystem is already a guarantee from climate change things that have a changing impact that could minimize it are a small trade off to try such as long term cloud seeding. Changing it from a desert to forming rain clouds. The cloud cover may not do a whole lot but if it rains and there is a lot of wind since it doesn't have a lot of cover the wind chill could help the rain freeze and replenish it or something.
>>
>>8736780
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heikki_Silvennoinen
>>
File: maxresdefault (11).jpg (376KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (11).jpg
376KB, 3000x2250px
>>8736620
>2012
>cure for baldness
>>
>>8736925
:(
>>
File: nige.jpg (59KB, 634x542px) Image search: [Google]
nige.jpg
59KB, 634x542px
>>8736620
>2017
>Enlargement of the EU
>>
don't forget that we just got pig rat chimeras
>>
>>8736981
We've had jews for thousands of years, anon.
>>
>>8732320
People have been into sci-fi mumbo jumbo since long ago. I have no authority on the subject, but as someone in my mid 20s, I expect during my lifetime that the life expectancy of the sickest is going to increase a bit (maybe by 2-5 years on average?), via better transplant procedures, better prosthetics (bionic hearts maybe?) and greater availability of minimally invasive procedures, while the general population is going to struggle more and more with unhealthy lifestyles, stress and worse economic and environmental conditions (pollution, sedentary work, violent weather etc.). Bill Gates expects a global epidemic sometime in the future, also a big possibility.

>how realistic is the possibility to extend one's life indefinitely within 30-50 years?

No chance. Transhumanism is a pipe dream for the near future.

>how do you think this would be accomplished? through technology or cloning organs?

Tech and better life support.

>do you think it would be financially available to everyone, or just the rich?

You mean "Top 1% of the US" rich, or "living somewhere other than Africa, ME or SE Asia" rich? I expect better procedures to become widely available in time as they always do, so it really depends on how far ahead you look and future economics, but the third and developing world is probably going to have cheaper, less safe versions of what you may get in Germany, for example (worse trained doctors, poorer hospital sanitation etc.), which may still be better than nothing.
>>
>>8737051
Don't they already have transplant procedures right now that have improved greatly?
>>
>>8736981
We also created the first synthetic life this year.

>>8737051
When does extending one life expectancy via editing your biology = transhumanism?
>>
>>8732365
skynet pls
>>
>>8737233
Synthetic life? What?
>>
>>8737368
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_biology
>>
>>8737368
A completely synthetic genome was produced by Craig Venter, and his team introduced it to genomically emptied bacterial host cells,[47] and allowed the host cells to grow and replicate.[48][49]
>>
>>8732320
It is a good way to ruin a European country

Let's make a major after it.

Today.
>>
>>8737529
Ruin? How?
>>
>>8737403
>>8737405
So we God now?
>>
>>8737550
Naw lad.
>>
>>8737550
Nowhere on that level but I think the whole of the 21st century (if nothing catastrophic happens) we're going to see continual high advances.
>>
>>8732459
No it will not be communist due to technology alone, no matter what those FALC tards tell you. It will be however a future where human society is even more extrodinarily atomized than it is today.
>>
>>8732536
>we'll
screencapped for degeneracy
>>
>>8732536
what do you mean still lots of wars?
>>
>>8732536
2050 is - 33 years away. I imagine we'll get more done.
>>
>>8732320
ITT: no one knows what futurism is
>>
>>8737936
futurism? Did you mean future?
>>
Temple OS will reveal itself to house the first AI
>>
Considering aging was reversed in mice, it's just a matter of time now. How much time, I won't speculate. It will be available only to the rich at first. But as with all technology, it will eventually become cheap enough so that it is available to all. I honestly don't think there is anything controversial or farfetched about any of this.
>>
>>8738259
Wasn't that just with one method?
>>
>>8738282
It's a proof of concept. That's why I'm not speculating on the timeframe. Could be a millennium.
>>
Im surprised no one is talking about the future of privacy especially after the CIA leaks what's that about? people will have hacking tools to do just about anything to any organization just another addition to the access of technology to anyone
>>
>>8738259
Why would people with money be the first to use a buggy and extremely dangerous new method?
>>
>>8737533
We wouldn't have to rely on extra-european immigration anymore, I guess this man feels sad about Europe not getting culturally enriched anymore.
>>
>>8733040
With the right maintenance and spare parts those machines can last forever.
Most of them are built so that you can easily swap out any part that could break or wear, often even with spare parts machined by the exact same machine.

Unless you need some functionality that the current machine can't provide and can't be upgraded to provide, such as better precision or tool swapping, there is rarely a reason to upgrade.
>>
>>8738354
If they have money and are really old and decrepit.
>>
File: 1471717884321.jpg (56KB, 427x431px) Image search: [Google]
1471717884321.jpg
56KB, 427x431px
>>europe and the west becomes even more a degenerative third world shithole with daily terrorist bombings and religion tension

Fuck off already /pol/, you're just posting a mix of /pol/praganda and headlines from IFLS.
>>
>>8739111
True.
>>
>>8739111
This does make me think though, what if popular support for against all these advances.
>>
Since this thread is about the future and technology. What are some upcoming advances in technology and medicine can we see in the coming 3-5 years?
>>
>>8740559
The effects of CRISPR becoming more obvious in society, self driving cars becoming more common (including things like semi trucks and such), think one of those big fusion experiment places are going to finally be finished in 2019 (the big one funded by the EU)
>>
>>8740559
I'm half convinced we'll see artificial blood.
>>
>>8732327

Sounds like something someone would say from the 1950's
>>
>>8732459

>communism never worked

Come to the bourgeoise side of life. You might enjoy it.
>>
>>8732536

You're just a tad bit optimistic anon
>>
>>8742141
Then what do you think will happen?
>>
>>8732853
When it gets cheap enough, those guys will be put out of business as capital floods in for investors starting their own operations.

>>8733187
You don't have to go so far as claiming those are laws of an objective physics, only that they are objective regularities in your experience. You still get the same predictive power.
>>
Amazing.
>>
>>8742972
So - megacorps?
>>
>>8742120
>artificial blood
Explain.
>>
>this fucking thread
thanks /sci/, you made me feel less like we as a race are doomed to failure today.
>>
>>8745219
Blood say you can make in a lab compared to having to rely on donations.
>>
>>8746173
Is it possible?

>>8745650
Did you read the /pol/ posts?
>>
>>8746750
Apparently, enough people are working on it so I'm going to say it's not impossible.
>>
>>8735688
>I hope that one day we will be able to create complex mechanized bodies and upload our consciousnesses onto them

... Why? You realize this is equivalent to killing yourself and creating a perfect copy of you that's better than you are, right? Why the fuck would you want that?

If anything, you should hope we invent brain jars carried about by robotic life support systems that perfectly replicate the sensation of human life. That could be pretty cool.
>>
What can i do to try to have a chance at becoming "immortal" (just a couple extra decades would be alright), my guess is:
>Make a lot of money because it would be expensive as fuck (at first, at least)
>Be healthy

what else?
>>
>>8747548
Basically, survive long enough until the treatments are available for most the population.
>>
>>8735325

Is that you Styx?
>>
>>8747548
>>8747563
These two and you are good to go. You are probably going to see the first set of longevity treatment in 10 years though
>>
>>8747548
>donate to SENS
>get others to donate to SENS
>steal babies and pump their blood into your veins
>>
>>8732343
So why is it whenever these threads come, we have these suicidal people chime in?

Is this a "misery enjoys company" thing?
>>
>>8748791
they re already patenting the blood ingredients that make young blood so appealing
>>
>>8748791
That doesn't work unless they are genetically identical to you. We have to get the whole cloning thing down first.
>>
>>8748835
It works.
>>
>>8748950
If you read about the mouse studies, you would know that they had to use extremely inbred mice because it doesn't have the restorative effect if there is a significant amount of genetic dissimilarity.
>>
>>8748957
No, I read about that Russian dude. Bog-something.
>>
>Get the treatments that make you biologically immortal.
>Have children and your children have children.
At what point am I able to have sex with my descendants?
>>
>>8749059
When every human gets sterilized and kids are only made in artificial wombs.
>>
>>8749072
Anon are you trying to give me a new fetish?
>>
Ignoring the /pol/posts and shitposts. This thread was pretty great and the future looks bright.
>>
>>8735628
Post proofs of your flying cars then
>>
>>8749126
>incest
>new fetish

You are new here, aren't you?
>>
>>8733040
we have ~80 yo working lethe machines
>>
>>8749662
Not that Anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yn2uyQJ1jc
>>
>>8751666
Huh
>>
>>8733800
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns
None of that shit is practical, it will never be as cheap or as easy as exploiting economies of scale and improved photolithography resolution to fit more circuits on a piece of silicon.

We've hit the limits of what a chip can do, all these meme technologies will not improve that.
>>
>>8733825
>can scale linearly infinitely

You automatically kill your credibility when you say something like this.
>>
>>8735445
Induction doesn't need sources on everything.
>>
>>8751718
>economics applies to computers.
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.