[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A career as an Earth Scientist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 180px-Feel_Guy.jpg (6KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Feel_Guy.jpg
6KB, 180x180px
2nd year geophysicist in the UK here worried about my future...any Earth /sci/entists care to share a bit of advice, especially fellow Britains (all are welcome though).

I'll greentext my situation to make it easier:

> Did a shitty media studies degree and spent 3 years on jobseekers between shitty zero hour contract jobs because I couldn't get my shit together
> Mum died when I was young and invested, what was now £30k in to a savings account
> I vowed to turn a profit on that money, so I opted for a career change and decided to work in either the gas or oil industry...hence I am studying a relevant subject for the field. In short, my heart is set on these industries.
> I understand that this work will mean travelling
> Met an amazing girl towards the end of my second year, we've talked about our futures together

I am worried about when I do get a job, it will be tough on her, and how will I manage as a father with a job that involves being away for long periods of time. It worries me to think that I may comprise the upbringing of my future children by not being there for them. She says she is OK with travelling for a while, but I still feel guilty

I went in to this degree to try and get a well paid job. I kinda don't want to settle for work in an environmental geophysics company ; the closest environmental science company is RSK, and by all accounts they aren't great to work for and the wages are pretty low for what you could get. I mean if I was to only get a job paying low £20sk, I honestly would never have bothered going to uni in the first place.

Am I a naive fool? Am I worrying about nothing or do I have cause for concern? How will I manage family and relationships whilst working in oil or mining? I am not surprised if I've said something completely idiotic. If I have, I don't mind criticism, but could it at least be constructive

Sorry if I have waffled on, I am feeling a bit sad at the uncertainty ahead.
>>
>>8731554
>Markets change, you should never worry about the here and now but what is to come. As a geophysicist there is little to actually contribute if you arent inceptionally intelligent. I'll give u something tho. Certain geological occourances makes for valueables in certain areas. Maschine learning should be your second learning path. Cus geology is sciences, social studies (gender studies)
>>
>>8731582

I like studying science though. Geoscience fascinates me, and I look forward to the career in industry, but it makes me sad to think of the potential that I may ruin my relationships with people I care about
>>
I wish I had some good insights for you OP, but I don't.
Bamping dis to get you to the first page.
>>
>>8731554
>She says she is OK with travelling for a while

I bet Tyrone is also okay with that.

Anyway, you shouldn't have ever gotten a girlfriend if that is your path. A person who travels a lot is fundamentally a lonely person. You SHOULD be lonely. Just like you travel the world, you should also travel from vagina to vagina.

You should settle down and you definitely shouldn't have kids (unless you don't mind fucking them up).

That said, you really made me think. When I go for a masters or doctorate degree in mathematics it will most likely be in another country because my country is pretty small and the programs are not that prestigious. I don't doubt that my gf would travel with me but the problem is... she graduates 1 year after me, which means that I would have to leave before she finishes.

Which means that I would leave her alone for 1 year, an easy target for Tyrone. Fuck man. I am sad now, fuck you.
>>
>>8731743

Faithfulness is a quality I can rely on, from her and in fact her circle of friends.

One of their oldest friends, who met her bf a few years back at uni, has been cut off from their group as she cheated on her bf at a music festival.

Cheating is basically social sacrilege for them. A good example of morality keeping society in check.

I just love her so much and want this to work out for us.
>>
>>8731801
Shit man.

I now know that feel. You made me know it.
>>
>>8731919

What do you do yourself?

It's tough man. I want to expand my knowledge, grow my career and build a happy life for us, but I want to make sure I afford her the attention she deserves.

That, if anything, keeps me up at night worrying.
>>
>>8732036
>What do you do yourself?

What do I do? I study pure mathematics and I'm pretty talented. My professors are already pushing me to get into research and get a PhD after graduation, so I have no choice. My life is already decided.

I am a bit scared because I had never thought about this before. Just the fact that my gf will graduate a year after me will be very impactful in our relationship. The only choice I possibly have is to get a masters degree locally but even that feels a bit weird because I'd rather just get into a PhD program directly and for that I definitely need to go outside because I want my PhD to be very prestigious.

Then the best option would be to help her transfer to some college in the country I will be studying at, but she does not speak any english at all and that could be a problem.

But then I could do a PhD in a spanish speaking country but I am not too excited about that.

I will probably end up either taking a 2 year masters degree locally to wait for her, or simply stay a year doing nothing waiting for her. You can't trust Tyrone man.
>>
>>8732088

You should be able to trust the girl though, there are millions of opportunistic fuckers out there who will fuck another guys gf (I know, I once was a hedonistic degenerate), but if she is faithful that doesn't matter.

Hope it turns out well dude
>>
>>8731634
I'm not sure about geology, but I know for geophysics you can get an 'office' job. you might have to do 3-5 yrs of field work beforehand. one of my friends after graduating sits in front of seismic traces all day doing interpretation, hates it a lot. another friend after graduating works for government doing similar stuff, both geophysicists.

one of my friends graduated with geology and he does menial lab work cataloging samples and stuff. anyway point is you dont necessarily have to travel all the time.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.