[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does school cause depression or anxiety?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1487152975999.jpg (82KB, 1440x1523px) Image search: [Google]
1487152975999.jpg
82KB, 1440x1523px
hey /sci/entists, I am thinking about writing a paper schools being either good or bad for people with depression or anxiety or if it causes or stops these things from happening, can some of you help?
>>
>>8731450
I'm generally at my least depressed when I'm immersed in an interesting problem.
>>
>>8731450
If you have agoraphobia like me, then school is obviously stressful, scary, and exhausting. But knowing I'll have a piece of paper that makes me far more employable some day actually cures a lot of my hopeless depressing thoughts. Socially failing every day is awful, but it will pay off I guess is what I'm saying.
>>
I use problems that are considered difficult but are easy enough for me that I don't get stressed about them as a method of escapism.
>>
>>8731450

Generally I'd say "no" but the situation is different when one looks at individual systems.

For example, America's K12/college system is built to turn people into depressed zombies through it's intense focus on test scores. Even if the exams are easy (most of the time they are), all they do is condition students to be extremely conformist and uncreative. This is because not even the teacher has control over the curriculum content and there are no opportunities for students to build anything. Creative impulses and self-expression are greatly suppressed with anything other than core studies (music, art, woodshop, car shop, etc) being dumped as students are corralled into test-prep and tutoring classes.

This happens because American colleges have a severe capacity crisis, their limited seats only increase in value (and if they don't, budget cuts can ensure that they do). Tere are many conflicts-of-interests here between college administrators, tenured professors, college counselors and banks all of whom have a desire to keep tuition costs high by keeping supply low.

The end result is a completely mindless generation, which has little life skills and only figures that out once they hit the real world sometime between 22 and 28. If they aren't crushed and depressed already, they become so once they realize that it's going to be another 5-10 years of labor to pay off their student loans and MAYBE be in a position to save up for a house by their forties.
>>
>>8731613

The long term effects of this won't be known for a long time. If I had to guess, it'll mean greatly decreased consumer spending as a majority of society becomes unable to afford a home loan, car loan, or student loans (for their children). Even those that inherit property will find themselves unable to pass it on to their children if they still have outstanding student loans. Perhaps in thirty or forty years enough voters will get sick of it and demand the government allow people to declare bankruptcy on student loans, either ending the practice outright or causing banks to stop being so predatory.

In the nearer term as society slowly starts to realize that they've been ripped off for the first 22 years of their life, anti-establishment and anti-intellectual trends will become more popular. We already see this on the right with Trump, and on the left with the rise of progressive blocs.
>>
>>8731613
>>8731632

also: Neil Postman has a lot to say about this in his 1997 book, "The End of Education"
>>
>>8731613
sums things up well enough. degree inflation and shit. i have a fellowship for a phd and am even considering quitting to get a real job. prospects in academia are going straight to hell
>>
>>8731450
I must have mood problems or dysthymia or something because I've been slowly losing interest in my hobbies for years now. School just makes it worse. Lectures specifically. Unless I'm in a class I thoroughly enjoy I cannot concentrate on the lecture because I'd rather just take a bullet in the head

Labs are always fun though. Actively doing things always perks me up. If we could just combine the fucking lectures and labs I think a lot less people would be driven to off themselves out of sheer boredom and stress
>>
Hello blog. I go to a university that forces everyone to do huge problem sets every week in all courses. Shit's giving me anxiety issues. No because the problem sets are hard to do, but because they are huge, mandatory and have deadlines.

I was expecting more freedom when coming to uni. Not being forced to do stuff I don't need to do.
>>
>>8731450
I say that i got burned out at the end of year 4 and year 5 was true hell.
I basically dedicated my life day and night studying thinking knowledge is something that is valued.
Needles to say I was very wrong and I hate every moment I spend on the books instead outside partying like a normal person.
>>
>>8731450
The was the school system is setup causes stress from very early age. It has been proven (no idea why anyone though otherwise before) that even very young children can experience spikes in stress. given multiple classes, a child can under certain circumstances be under prolonged stress which generaly causes exhaustion and can lead to anxieties over time. The school system we mostly use is based on engative reinforcement (either you succeed and nothing happens, or you fail and everybody goes apeshit about it for like a week of your life) which directly affects the way you perceive learning, specific subjects, social environment, and your family environment. The kids that underperform, e.g. because they have a different type of learning inteligence, are driven into a corner and develop anxieties which further impedes their ability to perform well in school in the future.

I don't know if there are specific links, but untreated anxiety can probably lead to depression.

note that pubescent kids can succumb to these effects faster due to the hormonal changes, and should not be treated as statisticaly significant for their future developement
>>
Kids with Autism, I repeat, SHOULD NOT ever, ever, EVER go to public schools. Doesn't matter how high functioning they are. That's just how I feel. It's for the benefit for both kinds of people.
>>
>>8731450
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTTojTija8
>>
>>8733648
this makes me use my cognition
>>
>>8731450
in my country at least half of average students belong in juvenile detention centers, there is no room for learning anything other than social norms.
>>
>>8731467
If school is stressful than you rather not want to work because it can be 300x times more stressful for someone that is stressed on school.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.