[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the set of finite subsets of N in bijection with N?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170223_174648.jpg (553KB, 1446x2329px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_174648.jpg
553KB, 1446x2329px
Is the set of finite subsets of N in bijection with N?
>>
no

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_set#Properties
>>
>>8731215
errr now that i read 'finite' subsets i take that back
>>
>>8731211
Whats a finite subset? Sry 4 pleb
>>
https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Set_of_Finite_Subsets_of_Countable_Set_is_Countable
math.stackexchange.com/questions/200389/show-that-the-set-of-all-finite-subsets-of-mathbbn-is-countable
>>
Thoughts:
A set of n elements has [math] \binom{n}{k} [/math] subsets of size k.

E.g., for {1,2,3,4} we have [math] \binom{4}{2} = 4!/(2!·2!) = 6 [/math], namely:
{1,2}
{1,3}
{1,4}
{2,3}
{2,4}
{3,4}

I think it's countable because of the following construction.

n=zero
1 -> {}

n=one
2 -> {}
3 -> {1}

n=two
4 -> {}
5 -> {1}
6 -> {2}
7 -> {1,2}

n=three
... -> {}
... -> {1}
... -> {2}
... -> {3}
... -> {1,2}
... -> {1,3}
... -> {2,3}
... -> {1,2,3}

n=four

This covers all subsets, although not surjectively.

In the other direction, map {m} to m.

So if you have two surjections in both directions, you should have a bijection? I think that's a nontrivial claim, though, formally speaking. I remember something
>>
lets first proove that for n in N the set of subsets of N with n elements is countable(lets call such sets Cn), if we have that, we are done since the subset of finite subsets of N is a countable union of such sets Cn and if those are countable, the union is.
We use induction:
for n=1 we have nothing to prove since we essentially get N
for n|->n+1 we can find a surjective map f from B:=( (Cn x N) \ { ({a1,...,an},k) in (Cn x N)| k=ai for i in {1,...,n} } )
to Cn+1: f({a1,...,an},k)={a1,....,an,k}
B is a countable subset of a countable set and therefore countable, therefore we get a surjective map from N to Cn+1 (N->B->Cn+1).
I think this should suffice if I didn't make any mistake(which isn't that unlikely).

There is probably a way way easier way to proove this but I am too stupid for it
>>
>>8731237
>So if you have two surjections in both directions, you should have a bijection? I think that's a nontrivial claim, though, formally speaking. I remember something

Schroeder-Bernstein is what you're thinking of

Your first argument is a little loose btw. Why map into say the empty set multiple times?

>>8731232
My intuitive idea was basically proof 1 on proofwiki.
>>
i am in community college algebra 1 but isnt the set of subsets of N always greater than the sum of NBA basketball?
>>
>>8731252
>Schroeder-Bernstein is what you're thinking of
Thx!

>Your first argument is a little loose btw.
Yeah, it's not supposed to be a proof, just
>Thoughts

>Why map into say the empty set multiple times?
I wanted to write down a systematic map, and a surjection at that

>>8731232
Those are all nice proofs that the finite subsets of N, call them F, are countable. I.e. they proof that you can injectively map F to N.

But nobody there constructs a bijection. The map to the prime powers, for example, needs you to order the sets first and thus leaves out numbers.
{5,6,9}
will be mapped to
p_1^5 · p_2^6 · p_1^9
but the number
p_1^9 · p_2^6 · p_1^5
is not in the range of this map.
>>
>>8731272
If you can find a can find a surjective map from N to an infinite set OR an injective map from an infinite set to N, there exists a bijective one. In other words, all countably infinite sets are in bijection. Unless your issue is that you want an explicit one, in that case I got no idea how to construct one.
>>
>>8731211
The easiest bijection I can think of looks as follows:
Consider the naturals in binary. If the [math]n[/math]-th digit (counting from the right) is [math]1[/math], include it in the set, if it is [math]0[/math], don't.
As such, for example, [math]19=10011_2[/math] would map to [math]\{1,2,5\}[/math].
>>
>>8731272
Explicit bijections between infinite sets are usually hard to make. That's why Schroeder-Bernstein is such a big deal.
>>
>>8731286
I like this one.
>>
>>8731286
Ah, yes that works. Here we can e.g. write
2^7 + 2^5
as
2^5 + 2^7
and thus we never get into the ordering issue that the prime listings with p_k have

>>8731290
Okay, that's the theorem for injections in both directions. So with m->{m} there's an injection and we can use it to "get" some bijection (like some kind of math deity :)

So new related question:
Q: Is a countable infinite set necessarily in bijection with the natural numbers?
countable infinite like [math] {\mathbb Q} [/math] (which is in bijection with [math] {\mathbb N}\times {\mathbb N} [/math]) can bijectively mapped to [math] {\mathbb N} [/math] and the same is true for [math] {\mathbb N}^n [/math] for any n.
The set [math] {\mathbb N}^{\mathbb N} [/math] is not countable and not in bijection with [math] {\mathbb N} [/math].
But is ANY countable infinite set necessarily in bijection with the natural numbers?
>>
>>8731317
yes, I already said so earlier: >>8731283
, also countably infinite can (and oftentimes is) defined as "in bijection with N"
>>
>>8731322
sure, you said it in this post
...but I can also say that the Riemann hypothesis is true :>
>>
>>8731326
sigh, then define countably infinite for me since I know it as in bijection with N, is it there exists a surjective map from N to X or an injective one from N to X?
>>
>>8731317
>But is ANY countable infinite set necessarily in bijection with the natural numbers?

That's literally the definition of countably infinite
>>
>>8731331
>>8731337

>B is finite
there exists an m in N so that there exists a bijection between B and {1,...,m}

>A is infinite
A is not finite

>countable A
there exists an injection from A to N
>>
>>8731364
ok so we have f:A->N injective so |A|<=|N|
lets assume there is a smaller infinity than |N|
(otherwise we are done)
B:=Im(f) is a subset of N and has to be infinite since it is in Bijection with A.
(B,<) is an well-ordered( I dunno the english word, there exists one "next" element for each element) set and has a smallest element since it is a subset of N, so we can find a map g:N->B which is bijective if we map 1 to the smallest element and 2 to the next and so forth, per construction it is injective and we know it has to be surjective since we already have |N|>=|B|
so |N| is the smallest infinity

Damn this is terribly dirty, I should clean it up but I am too lazy now
>>
>>8731211
Easy. Imagine successive binary numbers written under the natural numbers. 1s are included under the set
>t. cs pajeet
>>
>>8731384
No... that is a trick for counting the cardinality of this set of subsets, where the cardinality is the number of different binary strings of that length. So in this case it's 2^(cardinality of N)

t. CS person who isn't a retard
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.