[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>saw a free mathematics for computer science textbook posted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1488919594909.jpg (36KB, 482x427px) Image search: [Google]
1488919594909.jpg
36KB, 482x427px
>saw a free mathematics for computer science textbook posted on hacker news
>full of stuff that looks important
>now I have a textbook full of more stuff I feel like I have to learn or else I'm retarded

I feel so fucking guilty about all the shit I don't know. Yet you go in to a library and there are a million important text books called "Introduction to X" and they're all huge.

And then there's all the practical stuff. And the books to read.
>>
>>8730933

You are a loser OP
>>
File: 1430b751d7bcf2e5.jpg (66KB, 1284x863px) Image search: [Google]
1430b751d7bcf2e5.jpg
66KB, 1284x863px
>mathematics for computer science

lmao nigga u dont need no math

bitch i got like masters and cant do a long division :D
>>
>>8730933
Post a link plz
>>
>>8730987
Sounds like what you actually got was a software engineering education. Don't worry many "computer science" educations are like that today, though.
>>
>>8730933
I feel the same.

I'm a physics and in planetary. Every time I walk into the physics library.

there's so much to read. But its all I can do to stay on top of my classes as it is.
>>
>>8731996
Literally googled "free mathematics for computer science textbook posted on hacker news" and found this thread from three days ago: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13800320.

This is the linked PDF: https://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf. Probably safe to assume this is it.
>>
>Live in apartment
>Laundry room has communal bookshelf
>Spot a finite math textbook that has matrix algebra and bayesian inference sections
>Want to take it so fucking bad
>Too much of a pussy to steal

M-maybe if I replace it with something else...
>>
>>8732552
Open the cover and see if there's a name, track down the person and ask to borrow it

Or if you're really a shut-in NEET incapable of human interaction leave sticky note on it asking if you can borrow it and for them to leave their reply on the note
>>
>>8732559
But I wanna keep it, I'm a sucker for free/cheap textbooks

I'm almost positive nobody will notice, cause there are barely any other students living in the building, and I don't think they're the type to learn math while they wait for their laundry.

The sticky note does seem like a decent idea though
>>
>>8732170
> This is a blessing.
>>
>>8730933
Wtf math do you need for computer science? Basic algebra? Some form of analysis for big programs? Sounds like you'd be better off learning how to code.
>>
I looked through the book. It's just your basic intro to proof book + Rosen's. Really nothing that special, something a undergraduate math major should know very well.
>>
>>8733164

Well, a lot of problems in CS deal with counting stuff, so you need a fair bit of combinatorics knowledge. For example, the pumping lemma in TCS uses the pigeon hole principle. However, a lot of CS math is "first principle"; as in, you don't need that much background beyond a high school level to "delve" into a subject, but the problem is that there are many subjects to delve into that may benefit from intuition and understanding gain from studying upper level mathematics.
>>
>>8730933
>tfw you think about the absolutely enormous complexity of everything
>tfw you realize that most of your opinions and beliefs about reality are flawed simplifications of it or flat out wrong
>tfw you realize that if the human life span was 4 days, i'd have about 3 days to
>tfw uni starts and it seems the exams are so far away but when its finals week it seems only an instant has passed and you realize that, perceptually, you're only an instant away from death
>>
>>8730933
and now you know why people go to college. you are paying someone who spent probably a decade reading all that shit and they know whats important and whats not. they can also guide you through whatever your interests are in.
>>
>>8733201
i hate you
>>
>>8733206
why anon?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.