[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question to aspiring mathematicians. Since this guy was at 18

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: tao_terence_download_3.jpg (1MB, 3000x2040px) Image search: [Google]
tao_terence_download_3.jpg
1MB, 3000x2040px
Question to aspiring mathematicians. Since this guy was at 18 probably more knowledgeable in math than you will ever be, knowing this, how do you motivate yourselves? Go into some niche branch of math, since no one can know everything?
>>
>>8729568
It's not a competition for some people. It's just fun for them. They could be better or worse than they are now and they would still do the same thing.
>>
if i'm jelly about how good he is i'll do the same thing he did and remain humble while doing my maths
>>
>>8729585
This, not sure why everyone sees this life as one big competition.
I do not care if I am not as 'good' as him, I just want to understand math
>>
>>8729568
Sure, I'll never be as good as this guy. But he can only be in one place at a time, someone's gonna have to settle for me.
>>
File: Makel.jpg (134KB, 289x357px) Image search: [Google]
Makel.jpg
134KB, 289x357px
Tao pretty much blew it imho.
Erdos sure was fantastic at math but he never did anything I care about. Tao dabbled in Erdos fields, and then some existence uniqueness problems in analysis. If he's not gonna hit gold with Navier Stokes, he'll be 80 doing nothing.
I like a Lurie more - even if that guy is in an opaque field (some may argue), at least he creates. Maybe I'm just a Grothi fanboy. Tao is also a lefty, which recently made me like him less. I hope I'm not just bitter.
>>
Someone else's success doesn't define my failure.
>>
File: rice.png (276KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rice.png
276KB, 1280x720px
>>8729568
he's sitting next to a stack of textbooks written by other mathematicians
>>
>>8729611
>Tao using any textbooks

They just quickly got them for the photoshoot.
>>
>>8729605
>pretentious abstraction autist complaining about Tao working on actual problems
>/pol/tard
birds of a feather I guess
>>
>>8729621
Actual problems like what. Me complaining about doing existence/uniqueness questions on some differential equations is rather the engineer complaining.
I did point out that building abstract worlds like Lurie and the algebraic geometrist might be a waste too, but yes I find it more valuable than muh arithmetic progressions.

>/pol/tard
His Hillary blog post was annoying
>>
>>8729649
He wasn't wrong though. Trump talks like a retard
>>
I have a better haircut than he does.
>>
I went into fluid dynamics
>>
File: ourguy.jpg (109KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
ourguy.jpg
109KB, 540x960px
>>8729667

>STEM autist wants to critique other people's speech skills
>>
I tell myself that I could probably defeat Tao in hand to hand combat, also his wife is ugly.
>>
>>8729816
talking like an autist > talking out of your ass

> Daily reminder that Trump believes that vaccines cause autism
>>
>>8729832

better than dying by nuclear fire while Hillary hides in her bunker
>>
If there's someone better than you, you just have to kil him.
>>
>>8729901
Long and bloody way ahead of you, ay?
>>
>>8729585
>>8729596

top levels of academia is very competitive and i don't just mean within the same department but in the field of research as a whole. i don't know about pure mathematics but in earth sciences of you have limited budgets or limited access to run experiments and that's where the competition kicks in, why should your research be chosen instead of someone else's? get it?
>>
>>8729985
>earth sciences

btw i meant natural science lol
>>
>>8729985
Not everyone wants to be a top level academic.
Art is suffering. Everyone wants to know how to draw or paint, but no one wants to be, say, Van Gogh.
It's the same thing with math. People want to know programming/circuits for recreation and productivity, not necessarily because they want to advance those fields.
>>
>>8729828
I think my little sister could defeat Tao in hand to hand combat.
Jesus CHRIST. Look at those arms. I get that being a genius is important business and all, but he could at least lift a fucking pickle jar every once in a while. Is someone carrying his text books for him?
>>
>>8730027
>hurr me pick up heavy things and put them down
>>
he looks like a nerd
>>
>>8730127
>not /fit/ /sci/ master race
>>
>>8730127
>He's not smart enough to know that exercise makes your brain and body function better.

No wonder Tao hasn't solved his Navier Stokes yet.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-07-20-50-45.png (185KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-07-20-50-45.png
185KB, 1280x800px
Im taking a pure mathematics seminar and my classmate just did a presentation on unstable homotopy theory
>>
>>8730443
I go community college
>>
File: Gottfried_Wilhelm_von_Leibniz.jpg (38KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gottfried_Wilhelm_von_Leibniz.jpg
38KB, 316x400px
>>8730450
> I'm a pretentious faggot

and before you start, I'm not the guy you are replying to.
>>
>>8730443

tfw u stop after taking functional analysis and switch to engineering
>>
>>8729568
The thing about that is that he just had a headstart. You can't compare someone that had one of the greatest mathematicians of our time as a tutor to a bunch of austists on /sci/
>>
>>8729985
Yes, and we will cross that bridge when we get there. In the meantime, we couldn't give a shit as long as we have the chance to work on mathematics.
>>
>>8729649
What is Jacob Lurie up to now a days?
>>
>>8729985
Tao was promoted to full professor at 24. He was winning an IMO gold medal at 13. I think it's safe to say the majority of people you'll be competing with in academia won't come close to Terry Tao's accomplishments.

>>8730027
>implying he doesn't hide his gainz in the sequence of prime numbers
Nice try gainz goblin
>>
>>8729832

yes please tell everyone how you're 100% certain vaccines have never caused autism in any situation ever, and you would never place vaccine companies under any scrutiny despite the important role that vaccinations play in public health

don't ever question the narrative goy. here accept it blindly. it makes you look smart
>>
>>8730629
Nigger there is zero evidence vaccines have ever caused autism, why do you even bother with this shit
>>
>>8730629
/sci/ needs a wall to keep /pol/tards out
>>
>>8730638
>>8730639

I don't believe that vaccines cause autism. But these days, you're only a hop, skip, and a throw away from granting vaccine companies permission to use something as harmful as thalidomide because any concerns over vaccine procedure is labeled as conspiratorial.

Give me a break. We get it, you're trying to signal to everybody else because you accept something at face value that you know little about.
>>
>>8730547

Yeah, seriously Tao was tutored by Erdos at age 10.

He had an upbringing few could even dream of.
>>
>>8729620
>>Tao using any textbooks
Tao confirmed for brainlet.
>>
File: terrence wife.jpg (39KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
terrence wife.jpg
39KB, 620x349px
>math genius
>married a solid 4/10

Well I guess he doesn't understand how inequalities work
>>
>>8731013
kek. terence is pretty decent looking desu and he married that cow
>>
>>8729568
Stop worrying about age, analytical ability improves with age, part of the reason universities like mature students.
>>
File: 1471184886257.jpg (8KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
1471184886257.jpg
8KB, 265x265px
>>8731025
>cow
>>
>>8729605

grothi was like the king lefty, you know shit.
>>
>>8731060
>grothi
*Shourik.
>>
>>8729568
Mochizuki and Perelman > Tao
>>
>>8731060
The left in the past has nothing to do with the left now. In 2017, the conservatives turned into the reactionary libertarians.
>>
>>8731906
>Mochizuki
Should put more effort into explaining his work.
I would post a lot on videos on YouTube explaining my work so that more mathematicians could understand it.
>Perelman
Only solved on problem.
>>
>>8731959
>just one problem
yeah totally its not like his work had profound implications or anything
>>
>>8731973
>yeah totally its not like his work had profound implications or anything
Trains still get delayed so I don't see why.
>>
>>8731982
>why
* how.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.