[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coilguns/Gauss rifles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

I'm a brainlet who's shit at physics, and I wanted to know how much recoil would be produced by such a device
>>
>>8728857
GAS THE BRAINLETS
IQ WAR NOW
>>
File: Professor_Ogden_Wernstrom.jpg (16KB, 317x454px) Image search: [Google]
Professor_Ogden_Wernstrom.jpg
16KB, 317x454px
>>8728858
>GAUSS THE BRAINLETS

FTFY
>>
>>8728857
F12=-F21
So just as hard as a normal rifle
>>
>>8729042
However this only if you accelerate the bullet at the same acceleration. If you apply a lower force for a longer time you woulde have less recoil for a long time.
>>
>>8729047
From a practical standpoint (since we are looking at a application,) how long do you think a bullet can spend in the barrel of a gun if it's final speed is hundreds of feet/second? You can talk about lowering the force and increasing the time under force but do you really want a 20 foot gun to shoot a small projectile.
>>
>>8728857
It would produce recoil equal to the momentum of the project I've fired
>>
>>8728857
Hoping on the brainlet thread. I want to build a railgun for fun. What are some good ways to charge it up?

I have minimum electronics knowledge but pretty sure I want high current rails and a magnetic field 90degrees to the rails. Capacitors in series? batteries?

Should I make solenoids for the magnetic field or permanent magnets?
>>
>>8729102

>What are some good ways to charge it up?

capacitors

warning: whatever you build will likely involve high voltage power, so remember to have the weapon connected to a ground in the event a short-circuit occurs

>Should I make solenoids for the magnetic field or permanent magnets?

the former since it'll weigh less and is capable of a much higher magnetic field depending on how much power is run through it
>>
>>8729186
So a capacitor bank in parallel would be ideal with some rare earth magnets for the magnetic field

Could you hook up a DC PSU and just crank it to charge the capacitors and when you want to dump you just connect the leads to the rails?

Generally are non magnetic yet conductive projectiles used? I can see the projectile getting pulled to a side upon exiting the rails and losing velocity.

t. MechE Student at University of Brainlets
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.