[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: sans-titre.png (32KB, 122x122px) Image search: [Google]
sans-titre.png
32KB, 122x122px
Hello everyone, my gf has been diagnosed with bipolarity (on the type 2 spectrum) with major depression and thus has not recovered yet after 6 years with mood stabilizers/anti-depressants. Her psychiatrist has recommended ECT. I know it almost always induce memory loss, but I was wondering just how much it could affect her memory, to what extent (eg: how far can she remember or her personality) and is it possible to regain the memories after the treatment. Also, is it effective in treating this disorder? Thank you.
>>
ECT is fucking retarded. It's just en electrical lobotomy.
>>
>>8727984
Are there any other treatment when the person doesn't really show improvement with anti-depressants?
>>
>>8727980
You're overestimating its detriments.

Unfortunately, popular culture has mase ECT to be like a very painful and numbing procedure. In real life, she'll be put to sleep and shouldn't feel any differently than before.

There are plenty of alternate treatments, including medication that isn't specifically anti-depressants and psychological therpwy, but I'm assuming they've tried that beforehand or else they wouldn't be doing ECT.
>>
>>8727996
I know mostly how the procedure goes, but my biggest concern is the memory loss and how much it will change her. Also, I'm wondering if she'll be able to recover the memories lost during the treatment.
>>
>>8727998
Have you considered reading Wikipedia?

>Retrograde amnesia occurs to some extent in almost all ECT recipients.[13] The American Psychiatric Association report (2001) acknowledges: “In some patients the recovery from retrograde amnesia will be incomplete, and evidence has shown that ECT can result in persistent or permanent memory loss”.[9]
>>
>>8727980
>been diagnosed with X
>been prescribed medication (how unusual)
>has not recovered yet after 6 years
>doctor wants to try dangerous procedure B
>that same doctor
>fuck searching for a 2nd or 3rd opinion lel senpai
>I know it almost always induce memory loss,
>but I was wondering JUST HOW MUCH it could affect her memory
>I
>not her

sounds like it would be best for you and the psychiatrist to hook up and leave this poor girl alone to find proper help
>>
>>8728130
Yeah wtf OP is talking about his gf like it's a pet cat with a bump on its leg
>>
>>8727987
Has your girlfriend tried attentive non-judgemental meditation, OP?

>inb4 get out of here, yoga nigger

Many studies have been done and it shows it really helps with depression and anxiety, and also activated her prefrontal cortex enhancing her "me" center. All these can help bipolarity & depression.

I know I'd choose this over ECT. Discuss it with her & good luck.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.