[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you prove that negative numbers exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0776.jpg (96KB, 720x587px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0776.jpg
96KB, 720x587px
How do you prove that negative numbers exist?
>>
how do you prove that positive numbers exist?
>>
How do you prove that anything exists at all?

How do you prove that a proof is true?
>>
>>8727808
Overdraft my credit card, boom negative numbers
>>
>>8727808
Look at my bank balance.
>>
>>8727822
>How do you prove that anything exists at all?

I think, therefor I am.

>How do you prove that a proof is true?
If logic is real, then I can use logic. If logic isn't real, then I don't need proof because proof is a logical construct.

Checkmate
>>
>>8727824
>>8727825
Hey, you took my joke!
>>
>>8727808
Because what can be negative has to be positive.
What has, can be.
>>
>>8727808
Assume positive numbers exist
Define a set as the Cartesian product of the positive numbers.
Define some operators on your new set
(a,b)+(c,d) = (a+c, b+d)
(a,b)*(c,d) = (ac+bd, bc+ad)
Define an equivalence relation
(a,b) ~ (c,d) iff a+d = b+c
Create an equivalence class from your new set and equivalence relation.
The negative numbers are the subset of your equivalence class
{(a,b) in EC : b<a }
>>
>>8727828
Low hanging fruit, I guess.
>>
>>8727808
any numbers doesnt exist without something else

like you can have 2 apples

but you can't have just 2

it' d be like 2 nothings
>>
>>8727808
The natural numbers don't form a group with addition. The integers do form a group with addition because each positive number has an inverse (the negative number of equal magnitude).

So no, negative numbers don't exist unless you want to start working in a ring which you ideally do because most of our results in number theory are technically specific cases of ring theory.
>>
>>8727824
Your credit balance is negative, the bank owes you money.
>>
File: cat-unimpressed.jpg (53KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
cat-unimpressed.jpg
53KB, 403x403px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_realism
>>
>>8727824
>>8727825
Just because you owe doesn't mean you have a negative amount of money.

Your debt is a natural number that you subtracted from your current amount which you can colloquially recognize as a negative amount of money.
>>
How manny niggers do you need to start a riot?

Here's your proof
>>
>>8727808
Define exist
>>
>>8727808
You can let your bank account be represented by them, slowly your belongings will dissapear.
That is clear proof of the existence of negative numbers.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.