[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the universe is expanding. And the space between galaxies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 2008384.jpg (109KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
2008384.jpg
109KB, 406x364px
If the universe is expanding.
And the space between galaxies is increasing.
And lets assume the big bang happened and all matter came from the same starting point.

How and why will Andromeda collide with the Milky Way?
>>
Because universe is actually just one big moba
>>
>>8727195
which lane is andromeda and the milky way on??
>>
>>8727195
i walk the road of vengeance
>>
>>8727216
the milky way has been farming dwarf galaxies in the jungle and andromeda is coming to gank it
>>
File: spacebeer.jpg (862KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
spacebeer.jpg
862KB, 1920x1200px
>>8727149
I think it's this:
The [actual] space between the Milky Way and Andromeda is expanding at a slower rate than Andromeda is travelling [through space] towards the Milky Way.

But I'm no astronomy pro, so perhaps I misused some of the terms...
>>
>>8727149
In general galaxies are spreading away from the center of the universe but the gravity of our two galaxies has them heading for a collision course while our galaxies are travelling away from the center of the universe in tandem.
>>
>>8727149
Because we are in a "neighborhood" with Andromeda and gravity pulls them together while the rest of the universe continues expanding.
>>
>>8727149
You're thinking in three dimensions, which is a fundamental flaw

>>8727477
There is no spatial center of the universe
>>
I don't understand what they mean by "space is expanding."

Do they essentially mean more "vacuum" is opening up between particles/quanta, but all actual quanta remains the same size/amount?

When I imagine stretching a tapestry or whatever, I imagine the dots on the tapestry getting larger. They're part OF the tapestry. Like, if space is uniformly expanding, why isn't the space between stars expanding within one galaxy? Why isn't the space between individual molecules in a lump of matter expanding? Is it?
>>
>>8727580
Whatever force is causing the "tapestry" to expand is overpowered by shit like electromagnetism and sufficient gravitational forces
>>
>>8727593
Ohh okay, that's kind of what I figured - the "force" that is "multiplying" the volume of space IS universal, it's affecting the whole thing, but at local levels the normal forces just negate it as it's happening.

So, like, everything's wiggling apart, but galaxies and ordinary objects tighten back together and remain globbed up, and retain their inertia, so you only really notice the extra space on the macro scale.

That's pretty cool. Probably butchering it, but hey.
>>
>>8727598
Yeah you kind of are, but you're getting the gist of it
>>
>>8727149
Dark matter is in equilibrium with gravity. amirite /sci/?
>>
>>8727619
yes, otherwise niggers would fly apart
>>
File: pajeet.png (179KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.png
179KB, 326x326px
>lets assume the big bang happened
>assume
>>
>>8727466
This makes sense I guess.

>>8727546
>You're thinking in three dimensions, which is a fundamental flaw
This too.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.