[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How thermodynamics explains why we getting old?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: tm.jpg (28KB, 590x290px) Image search: [Google]
tm.jpg
28KB, 590x290px
How thermodynamics explains why we getting old?
>>
le entropy meme
>>
>>8726958
My professor asked this question. I am just curious and seeking for answer.
>>
>>8726956
Mistakes accumulate in our DNA because of increasing entropy. Evolution favored the ease of reproduction more than DNA repair tool kits. Actually DNA has very extensive repair kits. Think about it. The entire sequence is copied every single time your cells divide. During your life, there's about 70 trillion * 2000 divisions (you have 70 trillion cells and on average each cell divides every 2 weeks, 80 years has 2000 two-weeks)
>>
>>8726956
It doesn't.

'How' is not the same thing as 'why'. And even the How isn't best explained using thermodynamics.
>>
>>8726956

No system can be kept order for long, they only solution is the use of biochemical cycles for trying to keep everthing as static as you can, but even the strongest statues erode and their memory too.

I think thermodinamics would just say that trying to keep something in order with energy is like trying to put out a fire with another fire.
>>
>>8727036
>No system can keep order for long

The ratio of electrons charge to protons charge has remained IDENTICAL at EXACTLY ONE for almost 14 billion years

So order can remain, but yes, biological order wont
>>
I remember reading somewhere that heat transfer is the only thing that gives time a direction. It always flows from hot to cold.
>>
>>8727063
>The ratio of electrons charge to protons charge has remained IDENTICAL at EXACTLY ONE for almost 14 billion years

But are those a system? Like, do electrons change charge or exchange energy?
>>
>>8727071
That's actually good counterargument. Thanks. Like yeah there is big difference between stuff that never changes versus stuff that do interact with the world and change. I'll need to think about it.
>>
It's a very simple issue, actually.
The system we have isn't perfect. The mechanism called oxydative phosphorylation to create ATP through the Proton Motive Force (PMF) which results from the subsequent electron chain events, have electrons not only interacting with the molecules it should (like Q10, cytochromes and shit), it also reacts with other shit (it's a high energy electron, which loses its energy in a stepwize fashion so that protons can be pumped across the membrane to create a gradient - PMF). The other shit it reacts with can create ROS, which gives stress to the cell. It can interact with proteins, DNA and lipids and to put it shortly: impairs these molecules, albeit temporarily or not significantly.
However, repeat this process enough times, damages accumulates and the cell can't keep up with this issue and DNA starts to get fucked up internally. Proteins start to get fucked up. Other shit starts to get fucked up as well.
This is definitely not the only thermodynamical principle which causes ageing (it's through unbalanced equilibrium), but that's at least one of them.
>>
>>8727107

I wasn't doing a counter argument, I was expecting a genuine answer clearing my ignorance about the subject.

I really like thermodynamics, it's just that I study biology so I don't know much of it but still feels like I can explain every single thing in the universe with it.
>>
>>8726956
You approach equilibrium
>>
>>8726956
Thermodynamics only says we can't live longer than the universe. As long as we can take energy from stars or other sources, nothing is stopping us from repairing out bodies.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.