[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Signs you go to a brainlet university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 20

File: SHIT-Accepted[1].jpg (84KB, 793x853px) Image search: [Google]
SHIT-Accepted[1].jpg
84KB, 793x853px
>Do the odds
>>
>>8726495
what
>>
>>8726543
If your class has you do just the odd problem sets, its a brainlet university
>>
>>8726559
kys
>>
>>8726559
>If your class has you do problem sets, its a brainlet university
ftfy
>>
>>8726495
If you can afford tuition, you go to a brainlet university
>>
>Mastering Engineering
>>
>>8726495
If you have weed out classes you go to a brainlet university.
>>
If the professor uses slides he stole off stanfordU, you go to a brainlet university.

>tfw i go to a brainlet university

inb4 kys
>>
>>8726565
>Not getting a full ride
Brainlet detected
>>
If you receive good boy points for clean hair, you go to a brainlet university.
>>
>>8726599

>If you can ride your university, it's a horse
>>
If it has the word "State" in the title, you go to a brainlet university.
>>
>>8726495
>.ppt
>.ppt1
>textbook on foreign language
>low to no practical work
>practical work is done with people that do it for the money
I could go on
>>
>your professor scales up every exam
>>
File: 1484567395795.png (278KB, 706x412px) Image search: [Google]
1484567395795.png
278KB, 706x412px
>>8726559
Odd number of problems or what do you mean?
>>
>>8726851
my dude,
some textbooks leave even numbered problems unanswered and have the results of the odd ones at the back
>>
>>8726906
Man, I remember middle school.

>>8726719
some explain this to me.
>>
>people don't routinely commit suicide due to stress
>>
File: 1486010045354.png (1MB, 1198x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1486010045354.png
1MB, 1198x1080px
>>8726906
Thanks for the info. I've only seen "solutions to selected problems" maybe twice, so odd problems having solutions like this was a new thing.
>>
>>8726747
This. God damn I hate scales. I wish people just accepted what they got on tests and exams and realized if they got a bad score that they need to study harder and actually learn the material.
>>
>there are engineers in the physics classes
>>
>>8726906
Yeah my calculus textbook is like that, and it's annoying as fuck
>>
>>8726495
At my uni all the problem sheets are written by the lecturers.
>>
>tfw you puzzle over a question for hours only to find out you can't access the official answer
For some mind-bending courses like Probability or Topology I'd really like to know if I got it "right"
>>
>when the calculus classes are allowed to use cheat sheets
>>
>>8727102
>probability
>mind-bending
Choose one (1).
>>
>>8726567
That's a problem of the first unit of the first semester of any engineering you mong.
>>
>the majority of the people in your major pass all their first semester core classes without much difficulty

If your university didn't fail 2/3rds of your class out of your stem field in the first year it's a brainlet university.
>>
>>8726929
what if your professor gives tests where the average is like 19% and that's normal

common at my university's physics faculty
>>
File: Bitch You Might Be.jpg (121KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch You Might Be.jpg
121KB, 540x720px
>>8726495
If your school doesn't challenge you enough and you have time to waste on 4chan, you might go to a brainlet uni.
>>
>>8727156
Then there is one of three possibilities:
>The tests are way too hard
>The professor is shit at teaching
>The students are complete retards
If they're all retards, they should be left to fail. More likely, though, it's one of the first two problems.
>>
>>8727186
we're a top 10 physics faculty globally so I doubt it's 2 or 3

perhaps you're just a fucking brainlet with no experience outside your fucking retard American school where everyone can perform well

kys
>>
>>8727193
Not the guy you are responding to, but if you knew the answer to your question why ask it in the first place?
>>
>>8727193
A test where the average is 19% is a pointless test. If half the students are unable to correctly answer more than a fifth of the test, then they haven't learnt the material being tested.
>>
>>8727212
>>8727193
Also, faculties are ranked mostly by their research. I've met plenty of brilliant researchers who are terrible teachers. Research skills and teaching skills are different and mastery of one set of skills does not imply mastery of the other.
>>
>>8727220
this is probably the most American answer I've ever read just because of how fucking ignorant it is

kys
>>
>>8727212
I wouldn't set any limits like that. Some classes are supposed to be weeders, and the pass rate is whatever it is. If the average is 19% that means almost everyone needs to gtfo
>>
>>8726495
It's a directional school.
>>
>>8726993
This, you go to a brainlet university if otherwise
>>
>>8727220
I'm not a native english speaker and I enrolled for courses imparted in english because reasons. The teachers giving the lectures are the heads of the different investigation fields hosted in my university because they visit and do expostions in foreign conventions often, so their spoken english is top notch. They are excellent teachers and their several PhD don't get in the way of feeling empathy for their studients, they're probably the best teachers I've had in college so far. From my experience, the ones that have given up on their investigations and just come to give class, or the guys who are just hired from somewhere else to do a specific class are the worst, they just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>8727293
That's funny since I'm not American.
>>
File: 1486613206477.png (36KB, 778x512px) Image search: [Google]
1486613206477.png
36KB, 778x512px
>Acceptance rate is greater than 50%
>SAT score averages are low
>GPA Deflation (so not only do you go to a brainlet school, but there is rapid GPA deflation in STEM courses). So, by the time you graduate and apply to graduate school you have 2 marks against you 1) Brainlet university 2) Low GPA
>Professors don't do research, just teach
>US News & Report ranks you school below the top 100.
>>
>>8726495
>I got a PhD. in x and wrote a dissertation in a format that was ingrained into me by the same people I agreed with to get my degree in x.
>To get said degree in x I also had to do t u v w y z courses unrelated to x in order to get degree in x.
>I could have learned how to do x in a shorter time by using the internet and reading a book that explains x.

Paying to agree with people is a rip off and it does not inspire anyone to think differently.
>>
>>8727357
CSU?

I go to CSULB and this describes my school accurately.
>>
>>8727306
That's actually the complete opposite to scaling marks up. Read the thread before posting.
>>
File: z0TnFzj.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
z0TnFzj.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>8727365
kek, sorry anon. maybe you can transfer
>>
>>8727293
What >>8727220 said.

You keep throwing around the word "American" as an insult, so it's making me wonder if our Ivy League schools have moved to Europe iwthout my knowledge, or if you just have some internal issues.
>>
>>8727385
which school do you go to?
>>
>>8727389
NC State
>>
>>8727393
>NC State
>43.7% acceptance in 2016
just barely made it, lad
>>
File: image.jpg (274KB, 650x947px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274KB, 650x947px
>majority of students majoring in meme tier shit like Visual Arts, African American studies, Early
Childcare, Sociology or Business
>STEM majors are biology, Marine Science, Pre physics, and Health Sciences
>no engineering majors, we have "Technology" majors
I didn't even realize at first, I think a lot of other students here think they're majoring in Civil Engineering of Computer Science, when it's actually Civil/Electric Engineering "technology" and Computer science "technology"
>>
>>8727398
>wew

Almost. We do have a good engineering program and cool library.
>>
>>8726495

> It isn't MIT

Any university of minnesota anons want to perform ritual suicide?
>>
>>8726906
Fucking for real. I'm in AP in high school and that textbook only does odd numbered problems. I mean I love that it does that but when we have even problems I have no way of knowing if what I did was any good.
>>
>>8727426

Sometimes they try to sell a separate book with worked out solutions
>>
If it offers precalculus.

This isn't a troll, if your university offers it, you failed. You will go through life with a mediocre resume
>>
>>8727604
Berkeley offers precalculus my dude
>>
itt:community college brainless
>>
>>8727407
i went to wisconsin so close enough.
>>
>>8727687

sorry for your loss
>>
>>8727604

Precalculus is a joke

I got so fed up with highschool math I just tested out of it in the 10th grade

I imagine they offer that for the humanities majors and token eskimo
>>
>>8727660
Tired: Going to a low tier school
Wired: Going to a high tier school
Woke: Going to community college for an associates and transferring to a university for your BA to save thousands of dollars
>>
How do I avoid going to a brainlet university?
>>
>>8728046
go to community college that is known for its transfer program, get a high GPA, and transfer into a top university

t. someone that did that after dropping out of high school, getting a GED, and being a NEET for almost four years straight
>>
>>8726906
is there a reason for this
>>
>>8728243
This guy knows his shit
>>
>>8726495
This film is adolesceuniversitakinographie
>>
>>8726495
>Going to a school where homework accounts to some % of your grade
Yes. Teachers assign odds so you can check your work.
>>
>>8728243
Thank you! I appreciate it!
>>
>>8726495
>alright class, I want you to form groups of {x|x ∈ N} for your class project
>>
if your textbook has the answers in the back, you're in a brainlet class at a brainlet university
>>
>>8726606
Damn, should I transfer out then? Does this mean my 4.0 GPA is meaningless?
>>
>going to university in the US
>not attending a superior, challenging, cosmopolitan and cultured European university
>>
If your school in Europe doesn't have good exchange universities in the UK or US, it is a brainlet university.
>tfw university lost exchange program to Edinburgh and now only fucking LIVERPOOL is left
>>
>letting you compose documents in anything except [math]\LaTeX[/math]
the hallmark of a meme university
>>
>>8727426
>no way of knowing
Wolfram Alpha exists. Your teacher exists and it is their job to discuss the work with you. Private tutors also exist, if your parents have money.
>>
>Professors dont teach the course with textbooks they wrote and published.
The epitome of a meme university.
>>
>>8728918
Teaching out of your own textbook always struck me as excessively egotistical. I get it, if none of the other books approach the subject the way you'd like to teach it, or there simply aren't any other books, but at least collaborate with someone so it's not just your name on the cover. Get a hands-on editor, something.
>>
>>8726728
>>practical work is done with people that do it for the money
What do you mean by this?

>>8726925
>>people don't routinely commit suicide due to stress
I hope you're memeing.
>>
>>8728928
>Being unable to parse a simple English sentence
The guy is saying that university research that's driven by practical need should be done in conjunction with industry professionals.
>>
>>8726567
I did this in my first chemistry exam the first semester
>>
>>8728918
>his professors dont teach with the books they are currently writing

smdhfamily
>>
>>8728818
What is wrong with groups of size 1?
>>
>>8726906
Its so the teacher knows who the retards are.
I remember doing this once and getting in trouble for it in middle school. Fucking trigonometry.
>>
>>8726563
I go to a CC at the moment and we just rush through a shitty power-point. 4 exams a year. It's up to you to study regardless of institution.
>>
>>8727873
this

t. community college nig who is now at berkeley studying math
>>
>>8727212
>>8727220
>(((teaching)))

You shouldn't expect a good teacher. Rely on the notes and the book.
>>
>>8727604
>You will go through life with a mediocre resume
Transfer.
>>
>>8727403
I am taking a four year bachelors or science in computer science. Is that a real CS degree or is it a "technology" degree? What does that mean btw.
>>
>>8726495
>Go to Mizzou
> Only know hicks, chicago douches and affirmitive action peeps
> Only plan I have is to become a farmer because noone will ever take me seriously. Just plan on studying science independently after getting my Plant Science degree
>>
>>8726495
>University prepares to have the band play at the Presidential Inauguration but cancels when Trump is elected
>University sends out email to all faculty and students announcing it will act as a sanctuary for illegal immigrants
>>
>>8729235
Computer science is a real degree.
Software engineering etc is shit.
>>
>>8729937
my university offers double honours in software engineering for CS students is this worth it or am i better off going with something like physics or math?
>>
>>8729937
not to be confused with a computer engineering degree which normally better than a computer science degree
>>
>>8730257
it is my understanding that computer engineering deals strictly on the hardware side of things.
If honestly looked into it, but it seems that there are a lot less job in computer engineering than CS.
>>
>>8730186
The only dual degree worth getting for comp sci is math or EE.
>>
>>8726495
>Go to brainlet University in Europe
>Study medicine so it doesn't matter
>move to US without debt and get paid once I finish
Stemlords, why didn't you go into medicine?
>>
>>8727358

>Paying to agree with people is a rip off and it does not inspire anyone to think differently.

Any respectable PhD program provides tuition remissions and stipends to its students.

>I could have learned how to do x in a shorter time by using the internet and reading a book that explains x.

Can't speak for other fields, but in life science, unless you have a bachelor's in bioengineering, the job market for non-PhDs is a joke.
>>
My University predates the United States.
>>
>>8727653
Berkeley is a joke
>>
>>8728908
>not typing your papers in mathematica
>>
>>8730329
Good luck passing STEPs and getting a non shit-tier residency.
>>
>>8726719
Ohio State University is not a brainlet school.
>>
>>8728923
>none of the other books approach the subject the way you'd like to teach it, or there simply aren't any other books, but at least collaborate with someone so it's not

I always thought this as well until now. I'm currently taking a zoology course for fun and i didn't even know the guy co-wrote the textbook. He knows his shit really well and isn't in your face about it either
>>
>>8727143

>tfw Harvard is a brainlet university
>>
>>8730449
>the Ohio State University

Brainlet as fuck
>>
>>8730448
>Implying I'm not studying personally in 2 languages and read medical studies and papers in English in my free time
I'm not a brainlet, passing the USMLE isn't very difficult if you're not an Indian or Vietnamese that can barely speak the fucking language.
>>
>>8726719
Arizona State University is not a brainlet university
>>
>>8729884
Commiefornia?
>>
My community college was holding a pre-algebra course. I didn't even realize it was even a thing until I walked past a class of it in session.
>>
>>8730463
>co-wrote
If he collaborated, it isn't an exploitative attempt to stroke his own ego.
>>
>>8731440
I went to a shitty high school, when I got accepted to a real university boy was I in for a surprise when I learned math problems can take more than 3 steps. Thank God they have these classes for idiots like me.
>>
>>8726719
This is some amazing bait, already caught a few
>>
>>8728941
I think you should read the topic of the thread again, he's implying the opposite. That is, that if the research is practical and done with industry that you go to a brainlet university
>>
File: figure3[1].gif (43KB, 732x498px) Image search: [Google]
figure3[1].gif
43KB, 732x498px
>>8730649
>Harvard
University of Grade Inflation
>>
>>8727186
>>8727212
>>8726929
ITT: Retards who have never seen how bell curves work at rigorous universities
>>
>>8731463
Change in GPA by ONE POINT.

Do you realize what this means?

A fucking mediocre, brainlet-tier, LOW IQ 3.0 GPA is a 4.0 GPA at Duke, Dartmouth and Harvard.

Holy fucking shit. Absolute brainlet tier universities. The US is such a piece of shit.
>>
>>8728423
That movie was awful, anon.
>>
>>8726495

> You uni has to advertise to get students

You never heard of Oxbridge needing to advertise, do you?

> BONUS: "If you don't get the results to get to uni, you can come to the University of Bolton through clearing!"
> Actual advert on the radio I heard over the summer
> Made me laugh with just a hint of cringe
>>
>>8731476
OBSESSED
>>
>when the final exams are packaged up and sent somewhere to be graded
>>
If your class has white students instead of only Asian or Indian students, you might be going to a brainlet school.

If kids walk around with sunglasses instead of just regular glasses, you might be going to a brainlet school.
>>
>>8731585

>ftw used to live in Bolton
>>
>>8727357
>School had a 15% acceptance rate (300 students for 2000 candidates)
>Half of those 300 candidates dropped out because it was either "too theoritical" or they were just bad and failed Calc
>ranked 7 in my home country

Still won't be able to follow my dreams of doing pure maths because it's an engineering school
>>
>>8729181
If you have more than one exam a year you're at a brainlet University
>>
>>8728908
>tfw at top 10 Uni and do everything in Word or on paper

Will teach myself how to Latex for my thesis write up though
>>
>>8733399
>it's ranked 7
>but it's not american
sorry buddy, not gonna cut it
>>
>>8733399
Germany?

Anyways, lots of Unis have low nominal acceptance rates as a results of people applying to a dozen Unis, doesn't really mean shit. If the exams are used to fail people out of the course the entry requirements are obviously not strict enough
>>
>>8733751
>>8733759
France.
Exams aren't used to fail people, though. They are quite good, it's the people who can't work (including me - used to do just enough to pass the finals and ended up with a 2.8 gpa)
>>
>>8733775
Oh, and another problem is that it has a famous CS program but the first two years (common undergraduate program) are all physics/maths.
>>
>>8733775
>>8733777
>#7 in France
>famous

Tbh the only french University anyone's heard about is the Sorbonne, and that's more historical than anything

Also if half the course drop out the exams are definitely too hard, or the entrance tests / interviews / criteria not selective enough

To be fair it's like that in most european universities, nothing exclusive to France
>>
>>8733791
We have a lot of foreigners here. Meet several dudes from Michigan.

It's still is famous in France.
>>
>>8733791
I get your point though : but still I feel kinda robbed. I just want to have a fair chance, I don't pretend to be the smartest man alive.
>>
>>8733793
Which Uni ist it? Lyon?

Every University in europe has foreign students, usually more for the "study abroad" experience than academic merit though
>>
>>8733806
Robbed of doing pure maths? Can you not transfer, or are there rules against it in France?
>>
>>8733811
Transfering in the middle of the cursus is not a good choice, don't you think ? Gotta finish what you started. I'm memeing when I say "robbed" - it's just that I know how hard it will be. But I'll have an engineering degree and a master in experimental physics, I guess.

>>8733809
Troyes. It's not known outside of France, yes. But it's still something, I guess.
>>
>>8733818
Well if you want to go into pure mathematics having the wrong degree will be more of a pain than losing a semester or so whislt switching universities

Anyways, it's obviously up to you, just make sure it's a rational decision and not inaction due to complacency, which you may regret later
>>
File: s-PAULA-DEEN-BUTTER-large300.jpg (29KB, 300x219px) Image search: [Google]
s-PAULA-DEEN-BUTTER-large300.jpg
29KB, 300x219px
>go to #1 university in Germany for mathematics
>be too much of a brainlet
>switch to retard university(cologne)
>maths is still not easy even in brainlet-land
I am doomed forever
>>
>>8728918

I thought this was just another scam for them to force people to buy their shitty books
>>
>>8733847
Switch to a brainlet course instead

No point doing maths if you can't cut it
>>
>>8733855
nah I am average in my current university and have more interest in maths than most people around me it seems. It's just that the average here is really really bad, my analysis professor once pretty much told me that this is a brainlet university that is getting worse every year
>>
>>8733399
What school?
>>
>>8733847
How do you get to the point where you decided you are too dumb for that course/uni? It would break me forever.
>>
>>8733859
Cologne is a joke of a University

If you're average ther whilst actually putting in some effort then it's very unlikely that you would actually get anywhere in academia

Industry or teaching is a different story of course
>>
>>8733868
I got to that point by being bad and especially worse than friends of mine with less interest in maths than me..
Other than being a brainlet, another reason for being so bad is my lazyness, which explains how even some people with no interest in maths surpass me easily.
The biggest reason that keeps me going is that I like maths and that whatever job I get after university will suck in comparison, so I would like to keep doing it as long as reasonably possible(masters). Also, I still have some hope that I will get less lazy sooner or later.
>>
>>8733874
I know it's a joke, I went to Bonn before it, but can you define putting in effort roughly in time per whatever?
>>
>>8733886
30+ hours a week for average performance is brainlet

That would be at a decent Uni like Bonn, at Cologne the brainlet effort cutoff would be lower, like 20-25 hours a week
>>
File: putin-addresses-the-eu.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
putin-addresses-the-eu.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>8733899
if we are counting attendance at lectures and the likes then I am a confirmed super brainlet
>>
>>8728280
ink costs money
>>
>>8733904
Yeah, counting lectures, classes, homework, studytime and everything else

Also

>attending lectures
>>
File: 1406868228946.jpg (67KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
1406868228946.jpg
67KB, 800x388px
>>8734014
Half the professors don't have a handy pdf so you can stay home, also you gotta hand in your assignments.

I gotta say being a diagnosed brainlet puts this all in a much worse perspective than being a presumed one
>>
>>8731463

>SAT score averages skyrocket

>dumb legacies get forced to go to brainlet schools like NYU

>humanities infested with SJWs while science advances on its own track

there's many reasons why Ivy Leagues have GPA inflation. none of it has anything do with anything worth studying at those universities.
>>
>>8734022
Feels good living in a small college town where everything is within walking distance

Plus all of out lectures are filmed & uploaded online (not that I watch them anyways) and we have a complete set of typed notes for pretty much every course online as well
>>
File: a frog.png (7KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
a frog.png
7KB, 420x420px
>At one of the lowest ranked unis in the UK
>Have an average above 80% even though I dont recall ever studying
>Its rare for people to actually turn up to class and when they do they play league of legends the whole way through
>Have to do group assignments myself because everyone else skips them

Oh god I wish I hadnt basically skipped all of 6th form
Going to a good uni for an MSc though
>>
>>8734733
London Met detected
Probably transferring to U of East London
>>
>>8733818
Situation similaire, sauf qu'on m'a un peu pousser à faire de la physique fondamentale sous prétexte que j'étais intéressé par ça quand j'étais au lycée et que j'ai lu ce connard de Stephen Hawking (car on m'a offert ce bouquin pour mon anniversaire quand j'avais 15 ans).

Depuis, mes parents m'ont jamais laché là-dessus, donc je vais finir un master 2 auquel je ne comprends rien, et je ne peux rien y faire, car contrairement aux mathématiques, la physique, c'est beaucoup moins rigoureux, donc plusieurs interprétations sont possibles quand les définitions ne sont pas bien posées, et ceux qui réussissent, sont ceux qui parviennent à avoir la bonne interprétation de manière naturelle, mais je ne fais pas partie de cette catégorie. C'est une sorte d'autisme, je ne comprends rien à ce que ces singes racontent, parce qu'on ne parle pas le même langage.

Bref, je vais me retrouver avec un master 2 inutile, et je ne connaitrais jamais les maths pures. J'ai vraiment une vie de merde, j'ai envie de me tirer une balle, mais je ne peux pas, car je vis dans un pays de lopettes où les armes à feu sont interdites.

On m'a volé mon enfance (collège/lycée inutiles; 20 ans pour apprendre des tables de multiplication), et maintenant ma vie future. Pays de merde.
>>
>>8734834
no we dont have any croissants or baguettes
>>
>>8727693
>testing out

Is this some American meme? I wish this would've been possible at my school
>>
File: too_intelligent.jpg (70KB, 559x836px) Image search: [Google]
too_intelligent.jpg
70KB, 559x836px
If zero is not considered a natural number in your courses, then you go to a brainlet university with brainlet professors.
>>
>>8736130
t. brainlet
>>
File: 1488074166802.png (354KB, 594x593px) Image search: [Google]
1488074166802.png
354KB, 594x593px
>>8736132
Nope zero is a natural number! Brainlets are the people that the natural numbers at one.
>>
>>8727106

What?

I took Calc I at a shitty community college and even there the instructor laughed at the kid who asked if that was the case.
>>
>>8736139
There are good reasons for both sides and you usually change it for whatever you are working with(in analysis it makes sense to have 0 be natural since you use it very often), lemme give you one easy one though: if zero is so natural why didn't every culture that had numbers have the number zero?
What we call "natural numbers" is semi arbitrary
>>
>>8736141
We were allowed to bring in cheat sheets in Analysis I and 60% of people didnt pass, AFTER the passing point got lowered to 28/100 instead of 50/100
>>
File: 1485660890270.jpg (34KB, 480x432px) Image search: [Google]
1485660890270.jpg
34KB, 480x432px
>>8736148
What text did you all use?
>>
>>8736151
oh we were allowed to bring one sheet of paper with hand written notes on front and back site
>>
>>8736156
Yeah I got that, but what text did the course require?
>>
>>8736164
oh sorry, there wasn't any required text but Analysis I by Otto Forster was recommended
>>
>>8736177
I am not familiar with that text. I was thinking that given those marks, either the book was absolute shit or the professor couldn't teach.
>>
>>8736182
The professor was autistic as fuck and for the first 2 months the lecture had nothing to do with the exercises, we build up ZFC in the lecture and the exercises were regular Analysis I with some proof with the rules of the lecture that [...] sprinkled in between.
His Analysis II was much better
>>
>>8727393
NC State is not a brainlet university. Also this >>8731463
>>
>University allows professors to inflate/give out grades
I'm not talking about 0,1-0,2 points so the fucker can pass the class, some people go from d to b.

>Switching professors when too much people fail
It's funny when the switch is made, one semester 80% of the class will not pass, next semester almost everybody will then next semester 80% failure rate...

>If you did not reach the minimum passing grade, you can try doing the final exam
The test lowers the minimum passing grade from c to d, the final grade then becomes ((your grade before exam *0.6 + your exam grade *0.4) >= 60%), some people don't even do some tests throughout the year because it's not worth the trouble, they will wait for the exams.

>having to hear lectures about ethics and moral from the most amoral people around

The joys of living in a third world country.
>>
>>8736223
I thought american universities do that too. Because they get more shekels if students know they will pass there.
>>
>>8736196
>NC state
>not brainlet

Is it even top 100 worldwide lmao
>>
>>8727406
Oh hey, thats where I'm going next year.

What should I know when I go there?
>>
>>8736600
Where do you go?
>>
>>8727426
Use the internet mate. If your textbook is even remotely popular it's probably on Slader.
>>
>>8727403
>4 years for civil technology
Ha
>>
>>8733847
What Uni is that?
>>
>>8729937
Soft eng is generally a better degree for employability in the UK tbqhwyf
>>
>>8736835
A non-brainlet Uni in the top 10 globally

Which I like to brag about on /sci/ :^)
>>
>>8728280
Students can use the odd-numbered problems for learning by themselves, and profs can use the even-numbered problems for checking whether the students understood anything (I assume)
>>
>>8736890
Bonn

As he mentioned above in one of the replies
>>
>>8731653
More like the other way round

If your profs create and mark the exams it's a brainlet Uni
>>
>>8734733
>>Have to do group assignments myself because everyone else skips them
It could be worse

>befriend some guy during first year
>he's the laziest person on this planet
>lots of group assignments
>can't really tell I'll do them with someone else because we're friends
>>
>>8734733
>Have to do group assignments myself because everyone else skips them
>being this much of a cuck

i will intentionally eat a bad grade on an assignment, and will even deliberately sabotage the group just to not carry a bunch of lazy shitters.

my test grades will save me.
>>
>>8736600
>>8737091

You didn't do much homework on your research on NC State.
Grad level:

#3 Vet Med
#6 Nuclear Engineering
#10 Biological / Ag Engineering
#15 Statistics
#27 Best Engineering Schools

Also has a better library than Duke / UNC

https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/huntlibrary

Has a famous Statistician:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dickey

Has a famous Computer Scientist:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bitzer

CEO of SAS was a Stats PhD student there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Goodnight

NSA partnered with NCSU:
https://centennial.ncsu.edu/singlenews.php?sId=175

http://www.wral.com/nsa-to-open-data-analysis-lab-at-ncsu/12779103/

(over $60 million)

Red Hat used to be on campus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat

NCSU has the largest career fair out of Duke/UNC and host companies like Amazon.

Graduates from State have went on to places like MIT & Google.

NCSU is a very strong engineering school. You know little about North Carolina / NCSU and it shows.
>>
>its gottingen
>>
>>8736130
>>8736139
Depends on the class

The profs explicitly define the natural numbers starting either with 1 or 0, depending which definition is more convenient for the topic of the class (for example, analysis was without zero, while most other classes were with zero IIRC)

>>8736141
>the instructor laughed at the kid who asked if that was the case.
He was just being a dick
>>
>>8737091
You're still not giving me a name.
>>
>>8727407
I've heard (from people that go there) that's where people go when they don't get into ivy's/MIT. Their math department is still pretty nice, though
>>
>>8737150
>spot the Duke reject
>>
>>8737150
>you know little about UNC

Yeah no shit, I hadn't even heard of it before now

Also
>listing Vet Med because it isn't good at any actual subjects
>having to say that a few former students became (somewhat) successful

Brainlet Uni alright

>>8737185
There's only like 6-7 Unis that are consistently in the gloval top 10. It's one of them, what do you need to know the name for

Not gonna give you any info for some triggered brainlet to try and doxx me
>>
>>8737293
>I haven't heard of UNC
If you are American then this is a lie
>>
>>8737424
This brainlet is confusing NCSU and UNC as being the same school.
>>
>>8737424
I'm not american

>>8737432
Who cares? Neither one is relevant
>>
>>8737451
UNC is better than watev 3rd world uni you go to. Countrylet
>>
[location] university is equivalence to brainlet university
>>
>>8737456
As I said. Global top 10 :^)
>>
>>8726495
odds the term brainlet is made illegal in 25 years
>>
>>8733882
>I still have some hope that I will get less lazy sooner or later.

You're delusional if you think your laziness will just fade away without any chance in lifestyle. If I were you I'd look into getting a prescription for amphetamines (study drugs), without them I never would of made it through all of my calculus coursework; the stuff wasn't too hard, just tedious as hell
>>
>>8737467
>>8737451
UNC is a prestigious university, so much so it's considered a 'public ivy'. Not surprising since it is a top 5 nationally ranked public school. It is very difficult to be accepted to UNC as an OOS and in general has a low acceptance rate. Since you cannot even locate NC on a map, your opinion matters very little.
>>
>>8737293
I'm just interested because you are being very rude.
How would I doxx you even?
I go to med school a university which is
>top 10 in medicine
>top 10 in life sciences
No need to put down others universities for it, especially since NCSU isn't bad.

Also, what do you study? Genuinely curious.
>>
File: GTthesis.png (246KB, 1946x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GTthesis.png
246KB, 1946x1080px
>>8726495
>Feelsbadman
>>
>>8731463
Based purdue
>>
>>8737563
I'm just baiting for (you)s

I study physics

And you obviously wouldn't be able to doxx me from my Uni alone, but I like beng annoying :^)
>>
>>8730853
>Implying it isn't
>Laughing superior Arizonan University Face
>>
>>8737544
UNC's Chemistry department invented capillary electrophoresis (the most accurate GC) and the biology department developed gel electrophoresis, both of which were attributed to specific professors that taught and gave labs on the techniques.
>>
why are britbong schools so awful

Spent a semester at Imperial last spring and it was dogshit. Pretentious students and easy classes, at least compared to UC Berkeley.
>>
>>8738349
You're beng damn annoying.
>>
>>8726565
AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
>>
Going to CCNY for Physics
Should I transfer out?
>>
>>8737544
confused the hell out of me when my friend got accepted to UNC Chapel Hill (out of state) but got turned down from in state at UVA for early action.

makes you wonder how much college apps are just a shit show
>>
>>8738830
Only brainlets are easily annoyed, those of superior intellect simply glance over the little annoyances in life :^)
>>
>>8739183
UVA is better than UNC, if you aren't qualified then you just aren't qualified
>>
File: Florida-State-University.jpg (772KB, 940x545px) Image search: [Google]
Florida-State-University.jpg
772KB, 940x545px
The greatest school in existence.
>>
>>8739421
this is good for my ego
>>
>>8739421
>>8739692
UVA isn't better than UNC in areas that matter.
>>
>>8739421
>>8739692
For example UNC is 28 in math UVA is 52 lmao. Also, Nc state has a higher ranked engineering program than uva. UVA is for liberal arts brainlets. UNC is literally the better school. Which school has recent nobel prize winners? Not uva, UNC.
>>
>>8726495
There are blacks enrolled there
>>
>>8739183
It's not like applicants and universities can be given a number and if you're this good then you get into all schools between X and Z but nothing better.
>>
>>8739183
People get rejected from Harvard to get accept by Stanford and vice versa. People get rejected by State universities to be accepted to Cornell. There is some randomness to it
>>
>>8739183
UVA is for aristocracy. He just didn't have the correct family members.

I'm actually dead serious by the way. If you don't come from a private school they "know", or have legacy, you better be fucking amazing on paper. Being so rich that the admissions people know you are rich also helps.
>>
>>8739778
I promise you that the average UVA graduate makes more money over their lifetime than a UNC graduate.
>>
>>8739830
UNC is higher ranked than UVA in areas that matter. The difference between 4 and 5 in the nationally ranked scale is meaningless. I'd rather go to UNC over UVA for STEM studies. UNC and UVA are sister schools. They are literally like the same school except in two different states.
>>
>>8739778
>>8739765
Doesn't mean anything, it is overall a better school so the admissions are just flat out more difficult because its more in demand.
>>
>>8739881
UVA is not the flat out better school. Telling the same lie over and over again doesn't make it true. UNC and UVA are virtually the same school except UNC has a stronger bio / stem program and UVA has the better brainlet liberal art program
>>
>>8729845
Farming is fucking awful my man. Is Mizzou considered low tier? That's I was hoping to go this fall.
>>
>>8726495
If you have to use rankings to argue for your school being better, you go to a brainlet university.
>>
File: sparky.gif (24KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
sparky.gif
24KB, 900x900px
>>8730853
asu eee mat represent
>>
>>8740114
Please teach us, what should we base our arguments on? Hot women?
Most rankings are based on employer reputation, academic reputation and international reputation. What else is there?
>>
>>8736130
I go to Cambridge and all of our lecturers start the natural numbers at 1.
>>
>>8733465
I have 5 exams per semester, since we don't have tests during the semester, only practical projects and then the theory is all evaluated at the exams
RIP best university of the country
>>
>>8736223
The passing grades in my university are always 47.5% in each part (practical and theoretical), and we need to have the practical part done during the semester or we fail and we have to pass in the theoretical final exam too
>>
>>8737147
In my university, you would fuck yourself up as well, projects + final exam to pass and if you fail in the projects, you fail the course automatically, no exam or whatever to save you
>>
>>8727604
>tfw never took precalculus in hs
>tfw university had precalculus and I took it there
>tfw PhD in CS
>tfw $145k/yr
>>
>>8729845
>>8740087
18yo hs senior here, im going to meramec during summer then rolla in fall. my brother is ee at mizzou. trust me when i say you do not want to go there. if you plan on doing stem, rolla is the best youre going to get in the midwest.
>>
if you didn't have 50% chinese professors, you may have gone to a brainlette university
>>
>>8726495
My secondary school predates the US. If you're uni doesn't predate the US, it's brainless tier.
>>
>>8737466
Cambridge?
>>
>>8743488
Oxford?
>>
File: 3f0.jpg (11KB, 261x194px) Image search: [Google]
3f0.jpg
11KB, 261x194px
>>8743384
>PhD in CS
>only 145k/yr
>>
>>8726495
If your university doesnt actually do any worthwile research
>>
>>8743624
what do you consider worthwhile, i do research involving some pretty niche molecular inhibitors but you won;t know if it yields powerful finds untill you do it
>>
>>8743641
All research is worthwile if your not retarded about it, but I mean that if you never see articles or never have seen any that are made about something your university is doing then its a brainlet college.

Good colleges do things of value with their members
>>
I think for grad level all depends on the labs. You should do a research before applying and see whether there are at least a couple of labs that you would fucking love to join. Chances are in more meme schools you would find more labs like this, but it is much much better to apply based on labs rather than on rankings.
As for undergrad, I think it is better to apply in big cities regardless of the level of the school and just search for internships/opportunities. I did my undegrad in a CUNY public university, absolutely for free without a scholarship and still had plenty of chances to do undegrad research at Colombia and Weil Cornell and now do research at MIT. It is useless to expect that rankings of your school somehow will reflect whether you are brainlet or not.
>>
>>8727358
You clearly have no idea what a PhD is and how it actually operates. It's not a trade school where you just do x, nor it is a seminary where you learn to recite about x. Your whole post reads like a load of sour grapes of your own failures as a person more than anything about a PhD.
>>
>>8743259
I meant one exam as in one set of examinations at the end of the academic year

Having several examinations throughout the term of semester is brainlet
>>
>>8743195
>University of Oxford East Anglia Campus
>not brainlet
>>
>>8744673
There are a few courses that you have two tests OR a final exam, but the majority is practical project + final exam
Thread posts: 251
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.