[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anyone here play chess

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: a photo.jpg (18KB, 201x294px) Image search: [Google]
a photo.jpg
18KB, 201x294px
does anyone here play chess
>>
>>8724844
of course
>>
>>8724844
yes

it's the best use of applied autism, aka geometry
>>
I tried getting into it a while ago but got deterred after seeing all the openings and everything. Anyone have any tips or order I should leave stuff. I don't know any openings, endgames, blah blah
>>
>>8724865
1. learn how to not lose in the first 13 moves (open strategy)
2. learn basic tactics (developing with tempo, discovered attacks, forcing moves)
3. learn how to win a rook endgame

if you're not an idiot you could probably reach 1700 rating that way. Just make moves that aren't bad and occasionally make some good ones.

nobody ever got good at chess by memorizing 400 openings
>>
>>8724890
It seems I cannot successfully think ahead and anticipate what they will do
>>
>>8724896
every move in chess is either a direct attack or a preparation for an attack

if your piece gets attacked, defend it
if your piece gets attacked and you can't defend it, move it somewhere else
if you can't move it anywhere else then it's doomed; try to counterattack
if you can't counterattack then you're just going to lose. you can't win them all

If your opponent is preparing an attack then that gives you time to attack them, so attack them. That way it doesn't matter if you don't know what the attack is. You're attacking and they have to spend time defending themselves and not attacking you further.

You don't have to think 5 moves ahead to win. Just count how many times a piece is attacked and how many times it's defended. If defense > attack, the piece is safe. If attack > defense then refer to the above. 90% of chess is just defending weaknesses until someone makes a mistake.
>>
>>8724865
just go and have fun with it! there are lots of clubs, and you'll only get better by practicing anyway.
>>
>>8724856
White is fucked lel
>>
>>8724911
Alright so I'll try and play some more. But think about what is happening right now instead of thinking ahead. Thanks for tips.
>>
>>8724844
I play a chess variant.

>>8724896
It is all about empathy with your opponent.

>>8724865
Don't worry about that stuff. Develop and discover on your own. Otherwise, you don't actually learn or improve in a proper manner; you're just memorizing a step-by-step guide in that case.
>>
what is everyone's favorite player

mine is morphy

tfw no morphy bf
>>
>>8724844
I do, but I'm not particularly good.
>>
>>8724937
Magnus ftw.
>>
>>8724941
he is a crybaby
>>
>>8724937
Either Tal or Karpov
>tfw Tal will never sacrifice his queen and forcibly checkmate you
>>
>>8724844
yea, got a 2000 rating on lichess. im a brainlet though
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.