[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

laypersons statistics interpretation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: descartes.png (116KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
descartes.png
116KB, 500x330px
as an idiot that doesn't know how to learn could someone dumb down statistical math for me?
here's my problem. average man has 10% chance of suicide from divorce, average man has 70% chance of divorce. how do i combine the two statistics to give the chances of suicide from marriage in this mans case? And if the man had a mental illness with a specific% suicide rate, how to add that in also?
>>
File: too_intelligent.jpg (70KB, 559x836px) Image search: [Google]
too_intelligent.jpg
70KB, 559x836px
>>8724442
Bayes
>>
>>8724528
thanks but the wikipedia page hurts my brain.
> Despite the apparent accuracy of the test, if an individual tests positive, it is more likely that they do not use the drug than that they do
>>
File: 1451962174692.png (440KB, 464x464px) Image search: [Google]
1451962174692.png
440KB, 464x464px
>>8724442
It's easier to think of if you break the set of all men into subsets, draw like, a Venn diagram or some visual representation and Bayes' theorem will come to you.
[eqn]
P(A|B) = \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(B)}
[/eqn]
P(Married) is the probability a man is married, P(Married|Cancer) is the probability they are married given the fact that they have cancer (the group of men with cancer who are also married).
>>
70% of married men get divorces, and 10% of those men who get divorces commit suicide. So, 10% of 70% of married men commit suicide. What is 10% of 70%?

Same general process no matter how many factors.
>>
>>8724442
>how do i combine the two statistics to give the chances of suicide from marriage in this mans case?

10% of 70% is 7%.

>And if the man had a mental illness with a specific% suicide rate, how to add that in also?

Too little information. You would need to see how many more people with a mental illness commit suicide after divorce. The best I can say is - more than 7%, since no known to me group of people with mental illness are less suicidal than healthy group of people in stressful situations such as divorce.
>>
>>8724855
>>8724888
thanks for simplifying it.
>>
>>8724442
>AND rule: if this happens AND that happens then multiply the probabilities

If men have a 70% chance of divorce AND 10% commit suicide due to divorce.
Then we can deduce that 70%*10% is the chance of men dying due to divorce

70% = 0.7, 10% = 0.1
So we just multiply... 0.7 x 0.1 = 0.07
Convert back to percent: 7%

This shows 7% of married men actually commit suicide after divorce
>>
File: WRONG.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>8725087
That only works if the events are independent which is clearly not the case in OP's example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability#Independent_events
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.