[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Khan academy good? >pic unrelated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: altair8800.jpg (529KB, 2362x1684px) Image search: [Google]
altair8800.jpg
529KB, 2362x1684px
Is Khan academy good?

>pic unrelated
>>
Have you tried using it?!
Like...you can answer your own question here OP
>>
>>8724315
I don't want to waste time
>>
For what I've heard, no
>>
>>8724294
Everyone on 4chan will say so. Yes - it's got quite a comprehensive section on high school maths and sciences and it's free.
>>
File: Quadratic_formula.svg.png (30KB, 2000x617px) Image search: [Google]
Quadratic_formula.svg.png
30KB, 2000x617px
>>8724337
I'll give the long answer so you don't feel like I cheated you.
Khan academy is a commodity, and it seems to offer a watered-down curriculum on several subjects. It does your thinking for you, and it doesn't provide you with any more discipline than any other method of self-study. That requires self-motivation and discipline, so you might as well do your own research rather than follow such a curriculum. For what I've heard from Khan Academy, is that it does the usual pedagogy method of giving you decontextualized information (an infamous example is the quadratic formula, see pic), which leaves you with a bunch of information and no knowledge on how to apply it by yourself.
That is why I don't even touch places like KA, my method instead is to do my own research, by which I find books on the subject I'm interested in, learn the background information on each subject, come up with a plan for myself with the best books on the subject I want to learn, and read those books. Sometimes I have to read them twice.
This gives me the freedom to learn what I think is relevant (if I were to go for Khan Academy maths curriculum, I'd have to go through high-school algebra all over again, and end up at calculus, while my interest is geared towards stuff like Category Theory, I seriously doubt such non-mainstream subjects are even touched by Khan), and the best resources also guided by my own understanding of the subject.
On the flip side, this can get frustrated as I need to step back and learn or erview some preliminary knowledge that wasn't quite clear to me, or jumping between different resources to get a better overview on the subject.
But it's worth it, I don't trust resources that promise to do your thinking for you, because you're left with an artificial funneled approach to the subject, always bound to the limitations of some pedagogical framework, which only works for some subset of people.
>>
>>8724361
Now if you're the kind of guy that did great at school because your only concern was passing and the work you had to do to achieve that was limited to repetitive drilling over symbol manipulation over and over, or if you just want to superficially grasp some skills without a throughout understanding of the rationale behind each subject, then KA is probably good for you.
Otherwise, the internet is huge.
As for me, libgen.io is my school
>>
>>8724294
Yes it is, up to a certain level.
>>
>>8724294
good but they tend to not apply the lessons they give. its great if you want a refresh about high-school math otherwise learning something new from khan academy isn't worth it and tend to be boring
>>
>>8724294
It's good if you simply want to pass high school math or whatever.
If you want to appreciate, understand, or develop your comprehension of mathematics there are plenty of other ways to do that.
>>
>>8724366
>As for me, libgen.io is my school
oh shit, didn't know libgen came back.

Any other free book sites? I also use bookzz.org
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.