[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Before I write an email to my friend's tard physics professor,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1486256499812.png (248KB, 680x528px) Image search: [Google]
1486256499812.png
248KB, 680x528px
Before I write an email to my friend's tard physics professor, please let me know that I actually did this right.

Question: A car (m = 1250kg) travelling south at 1.30m/s and a truck (m = 4460kg) travelling west at 9.35m/s collide perfectly inelastically. Calculate the x and y components of the final velocity.

This should be simple, use conservation of momentum to find the final velocity via: [math]m_car * v_car + m_truck * v_truck = (m_car + m_truck) * v_final[/math] (assuming the car and truck are stuck together. You get v_final = ~7.59m/s. Then you find the angle in order to calculate the x and y components. The angle is found by putting the car's momentum on the x-axis of a triangle, and the truck's momentum on the y-axis, then use using the tangent formula to find that theta = 2.23 degrees. Then you take that angle and plug it into another triangle, where the final velocity is the hypotenuse. Solve for the x and y components using sin and cos formulas and you should find that the final answer is (-7.58, -0.295) and is using exact numbers every step along the way only rounding down to three sig figs at the very end.

Obviously the professor could have rounded more sloppily than I, but this dumb cunt's final answer is (-7.30, -0.295). That cannot be correct and even though I know this confidently, my friend doesn't trust me so if you could just confirm that the professor made a mistake (or is a dumb cunt) so I can show my friend, that would be very appreciated.
>>
You dumb nigger, if the collision is perfectly inelastic then all kinetic energy is converted to heat. You're even more retarded than the professor.
>>
>>8724298
It means the two objects stick together, retard.
>>
>>8724281
>dumb frogposter
>makes retarded mistakes and blames prof
Fucking use the law of momentum conservation for X and Y axis separately instead of going into trig to solve an easy as fuck problem.
>>
>>8724314
That's what I did, asshole, there's no other (simpler) way to solve the problem without finding the angle of using trig.
>>
you don't have any friends lol
>>
>>8724314
>>8724330
this was my initial response too but I got slightly different answers the two different ways.
handling x and y components separately, prof is right about x and both are wrong about y. handling them together and using trig, you're right (I think).

so now I'm worried that I'm fucking up the setup somehow.
>>
>>8724281
The momentum in the x direction is conserved so 1250*(0)+4460*(9.35)=5710*(v_x)
The same thing for the momentum in the y direction: 1250*(1.3)+4460*(0)=5710*(v_y)
v_x=7.30
v_y=.285
That's all you need to do.>>8724330
>>
>>8724330
No, you're retarded. The simplest answer contains only basic operations without trigonometry.

Protip: Length of vector (A + B) doesn't equal length of A + length of B
>>
>>8724347
But then that means that magnitude of the velocity is 7.31 and if you use the conversation of momentum like I did, (m_car * v_car + m_truck * v_truck = (m_car + m_truck)*v_final, you get that v_final is 7.59. It is an inelastic collision so the two are supposed to stick together as one object.
>>
Y'all niggers have way too much free time to be learning these maths
>>
>>8724408
You're fucking adding vectors like if those were numbers. Are you even in college?
http://kcvs.ca/map/java/applets/collisions_2D/applethelp/lesson/lesson_2.html
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-26-23-41-38.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-26-23-41-38.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>8724281
>Yfw "your friend's" physics professor lurks /sci/
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.