[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a potato cylinder gained weight in a beaker of NaCl, is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Tonic2.gif (8KB, 434x171px) Image search: [Google]
Tonic2.gif
8KB, 434x171px
If a potato cylinder gained weight in a beaker of NaCl, is it hypetonic and the beaker is hypotonic? I'm writing a lab report and I'm pulling my hair to figere how the hell to write the tonicity based on my results
>>
>>8722385
The solution in the beaker around the potato WAS hypertonic, but now they should be isotonic.
>>
If the potato gained weight, then the concentration of NaCl inside the potato was more than the concentration of the solution. Water rushes into the potato cells to balance the concentrations. So the potato is in a hypotonic solution/environment. It's hypertonic to the soln
>>
>>8722403
>>8722404

Thanks, sometimes in biology I feel like I'm doing math and I'm suppose to bilingual because numbers have different values in different languages. . .
>>
>>8722450
Yeah, >>8722403 I'm wrong. This dude is right >>8722404.

I was thinking about cooking stew and thought the salt was absorbed in the potato.
>>
>>8722477

would you say this looks about right? Now it's just me feeling weird saying that h2o molecules went into the starch cells rather than the potato cylinders overall

"Before conducting the test, the idea in mind was that the sodium chloride (NaCl) would merely lack the H2O molecules that would transport into the starch cells of the potato cylinders, but what has become apparent is that we needed to consider the tonicity of the solute that we place the potato cylinders in, as while they did not transport any H2O molecules into the starch cells, they did pull H2O molecules away from the starch cells in the potato cylinders. "
>>
>>8722496

this >>8722404 is me

Nothing is transported or pulling H2O molecules. What is happening is that there is a semi permeable membrane around the potato cells that allows water to flow through (and not ions). The water wants to maintain a constant concentration of NaCl, inside and outside the potato. To do this, water has to go through the cells to decrease the concentration of NaCl since it is higher inside the cell. It pulled water from the solution into the potato's cells
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.