[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

water fountain colouring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

hey /sci/

for our engineering graduation celebrations at my university, each year they pour soap into the main fountain on campus and it spews foam for a whole week.

next year we're thinking of upping it a notch, by colouring the water.

was thinking of potassium permanganate, although not sure what quanitities of PP we would need + if it is a hazard in large quantities or would it do that much harm to the water.

i know it is used as a disinfectant and so on, so i guess it would not be such a problem.

also, maybe you can suggest another chemical which will turn the water green, which would be better.

i think if we were to use food colouring, it would need large quantities to get a strong colour in the fountain.

dont really want to cause any damage to the environment and the likes in the meantime, so we're thinking of avoiding soap this time.
>>
Any concentration of potassium permanganate that you're able to see is going to be hazardous to peoples health. Just use fluorescein.
>>
File: cavedye2.jpg (39KB, 535x257px) Image search: [Google]
cavedye2.jpg
39KB, 535x257px
>>8720277
and if that's too timid and safe, put up a few comical radioactive contamination signs to scare people. Even with out the signs it can be a little frightening.
>>
The janitor at your school must fucking hate the engineering department. Do you realize that putting soap in a fountain clogs the filters and fucks up the pressure in the tubes, possibly causing damage from back-pressure? Engineering students should understand how this is more than just a harmless prank. Probably costs the school a good chunk of change every time somebody does it
>>
throw a bunch of potassium in there, it will turn purple
>>
>>8720263
I'd be less worried about "the environment" and more worried about fsking up the pump. Though, I suppose, given the water loss that'd result, one could argue you're fsking up the environment.

I can't give you a shop link, as it'll be spam blocked - but Google "Crystal Clear PondTint - Blue Colorant Crystal Clear PondTint - Blue Colorant" maybe check the ingredients. It's supposed to be safe for pool pumps and even for fish.
>>
op here
>>8720277
>>8720283

flourescein i guess seems safe to use, would it be removed by the pumps filters (if any)? or possibly it would until they get saturated i guess

>>8720294
it's not just a single janitor, its maintained by the estates and works department that handle all campus basically, and most of them hang around the engineering department for welding their broken tools and what not hehe :)

>>8720316
product seems great, looking into water dies now. problem i might think is that it would get removed by the pump filters possibly and its not quite cheap, although not too expensive, should everyone chip in anyway
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.