[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could an alien species develop advanced technology and space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: pnp.png (65KB, 800x826px) Image search: [Google]
pnp.png
65KB, 800x826px
Could an alien species develop advanced technology and space travel without having a concept of or ability for language?
>>
>>8720065
No.

The language wouldn’t have to be anything like the languages we use, but you can't have any significant level of technology without some kind of widely shared way of conveying detailed information.
>>
>>8720093

>you can't have any significant level of technology without some kind of widely shared way of conveying detailed information

Doesn't that depend on the assumption the beings involved were limited enough in their senses to not pick up on what others were doing by observation instead of communication? Like if nervous systems were externalized in a way where you could tell what another person was thinking, then them telling you what they were thinking wouldn't be necessary.
>>
>>8720106
Telling what someone was thinking would also require whatever displays they make to be structured in a way that you could understand. Basically, you'll end up with a language.
>>
>>8720213

Is the sight of an apple on a tree language?
>>
>>8720219
If your definition of language allows for that, yes! Otherwise no.
>>
>>8720235

I think counting anything you directly sense as language isn't a very good attempt at having a coherent definition of language.
>>
>>8720219
>>8720257
It would be a covert language. Language and thought reduce to the same structure, the former typically referring to externalizing the latter but they're fundamentally the same thing
>>
>>8720065
A hivemind; able to communicate though some sort of link like chemical communication.

It'd basically be an ant colony with a super intelligent queen. The only reason a species like that would space travel would probably just to get more resources with little or no care for anything or anyone else.
>>
>>8720464
I doubt chemical signals can be complex enough to convey information as complex as language, let alone fulfill the needs for advanced technology.

The only real way to avoid a language is if they have a way of transmitting thoughts directly, perhaps with a specialized physical contact. Brains that communicate though radio is a fair bit more fanciful, but sure why not. Both however would probably be codified enough to be equivalent to a language even if we wouldn't easily recognize it as such.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.