[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kinetic Energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: kinetic-truck-of-peace.png (35KB, 975x276px) Image search: [Google]
kinetic-truck-of-peace.png
35KB, 975x276px
If I have something incredibly massive (x10^21) that moves incredibly slowly (x10^-11) it has a tiny kinetic energy but a massive momentum.. can someone explain this to me? Does it imply I could stop it with my bare hands?
>>
>>8719589
Try stopping a car moving 10mph and try stopping a pencil moving 10mph. It will be different.
>>
>>8719597
Do you have proof of this?
>>
>>8719589
Generally when two things collide, nature doesn't want them to occupy the same space. So the choices are two:
Object A matches object B's speed or goes even faster thanks to springs n shit
Object B matches object A's speed thanks to springs n shit
A bit of both

In collision you generally die to massive acceleration, or massive deceleration after you're massive accelerated. If something has very big mass and goes very slow you can accelerate pretty gently to its speed.
>>
>>8719589
>Tiny Kinetic energy
Means it's not moving very quickly

>Massive momentum
Means its massive, has a huge velocity or both .

What's the problem?

>Does it imply I could stop it with my bare hands?

No.
>>
In your example the truck has energy in the neighbourhood 1Nm.

Since P=Fv=W/T, if you assume bare hands pushing strength of 1kN, you get around 10^8 seconds. In this timespan the truck moves around a millimetre.

Point is that it is possible to stop the truck since it can't flat you with that velocity. However, work is force times distance, so with small velocity you either have to wait very long or push very hard.

This is also the reason momentum is more intuitive in this case. If you want to stop the truck, you have to give it an impulse equal to the initial momentum, which is equal to the time integral of force, so you can straight away infer that you need a lot of force or a lot of time.
>>
>>8719589
>massive momentum
>"could I stop it with my bare hands?"
>>
No becouse it has massive momentum.
>>
>>8719589
If you have a couple thousand millennium with nothing else to do, then yes. Oh, and a place to stand and resist that huge mass. The place also must move backwards on command, so you don't get crushed.
>>
You really could stop it with your bare hands. Just push against it for a long time.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.