[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most you have studied in a month(30 days)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1475796588281.jpg (70KB, 548x548px) Image search: [Google]
1475796588281.jpg
70KB, 548x548px
What's the most you have studied in a month(30 days)?
>>
At one point I was studying a good 12 hours a day every day with no days off in preparation for the Biology GRE subject test.

I ended up scoring in the 97th percentile. Feels good man.
>>
>>8718548
Wow, that's pathetic given the amount you studied and the fact that it was a secondary education level text.
I'd feel horrible.
>>
>>8718551
Rude.
>>
>>8718551
I got into a top Ph.D. program, so why would I feel horrible? Anyways, what are your accomplishments?
>>
>>8718555
How's that relevant?
>>
>>8718557
How is what relevant? Are you asking me how my acceptance into an elite program is relevant or how your own lack of accomplishments is relevant.

Obviously my acceptance into a top school is relevant because it was a direct result of my hard efforts. That's why I feel good instead of horrible.

Your lack of accomplishments isn't really relevant to my life, but I'm curious about what kind of person makes these sorts of comments. Probably not someone who is successful. But maybe I'm wrong. Are you going to answer my question?
>>
>>8718557
>>8718563
Thx for derailing my thread guys xD
I wish I could give you some Reddit gold.
>>
>>8718544
9 days in a row day and night,basically I havent left my apartment during that time.
Organic chem was the subject,it was 5 years ago.
>>
>>8718563
Second.
Successful enough for my age.
>>
>>8718548
I believe you would have got into 97th percentile even with studying 11 hours a day.
Or 10. Maybe 9. Possibly 8. Likely not 7.

>>8718551
It might be pathetic to a person with responsibilities outside the field of biology. Humans do have responsibility of using their resources productively. If he is going to study biology and make a living with biology, then it is unlikely to be a pathetic work.

>>8718557
Getting to PhD program (assuming civilized country) is very top level. Don't ever underestimate how difficult that is.
>>
>>8718569
Give me details. Do you go to a top undergrad? I went to Cornell. Where did you do your undergrad, smart guy?
>>
>>8718574
I'm not american, nor do I live there. You wouldn't have heard of it.
It's a good uni for my country.
>>
>>8718578
I'm sure it's good for your country. Not as good as Cornell, but good for a brainlet like you.
>>
>>8718544
I was studying for 6-10 hours every day for 2 months in preparation for the mcat. Ended up scoring a 520. Was it worth it? Probably not. It was a dumb exam and anyone could do med school with enough grit.
>>
>>8718582
I'm not the guy who studied 12 hours per day everyday for a month or more yet still only got in the 97th percentile.
>>
>>8718584
I still don't understand how that's supposed to make me feel bad. I'm mostly just confused. You do realize that to achieve things at an elite level, you have to actually try, right? How is doing your best bad? Out of every 100 people who took the test, only two outperformed me. And it paid off. Wouldn't you feel proud if you were in that position? I'm genuinely curious as to what the psychology behind your attitude is, because you certainly don't have the mindset of a good scientist.
>>
>>8718589
I'd probably feel bad if I were in that position. Not very bad, but slightly bad.
Seeing as it was a biology you should have done better studying so much.
Probably you didn't get enough sleep and rest.
>>
>>8718595
I suppose that if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. But I can't imagine you're going to be happy or successful if you can't even take pride in your accomplishments. Being a scientist is about being pragmatic, objective, and resilient. If you let yourself get bogged down with negativity, you will eventually fail. Perfectionism rarely begets perfection.
>>
>>8718601
Not a scientist though.
I'm studying sociology and gender studies.
>>
>>8718604
Obvious troll is obvious.
>>
>>8718604
No, I'm pretty sure you're a science student, but a mediocre one.
>>
>>8718601
>Perfectionism rarely begets perfection.
But not striving towards perfection NEVER begets perfection. Perfectionist or loser. Your choice.
>>
File: no-sleep.gif (26KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
no-sleep.gif
26KB, 300x200px
>>8718566
>9 days in a row day and night,basically I havent left my apartment during that time.
This is good.
I studied for ten days with the last days at three or less hours per night.
It was distributions and PDEs.
I was having hallucinations.
>>
>>8718544
Studied like 30 hours straight on a modafinil fueled rampage for my ochem final. Aced that shit
>>
>>8718548
is the biology GRE needed for PhD programs?
>>
>>8718544
15+ hours per day for 4.5 weeks. no weekends.

Intensive study period for USMLE STEP 1.
Start with Pharm, move on to section of the day, take a practice test, study it, study the section again and take another test, study it. Made it through with one study partner. We bounce questions off of each other and keep each other motivated. Kept lunch down to 20 min.

Hard work paid off.
>>
>>8719380
I'm not a perfectionist and I am still doing really well in my field. I strive towards very high goals, not perfection, and I think this strategy works great for accomplishing things. I think you're buying into a false dichotomy.
>>
>>8720136
Not all, but some highly recommend you take it, particularly a lot of competitive microbiology programs.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.