[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electrodynamics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 2.46.png (141KB, 842x623px) Image search: [Google]
2.46.png
141KB, 842x623px
This is the solution to a problem asking for the charge density ρ given the electric field E, using the equation ∇⋅E = ρ/ɛ.

Why is it a legal move to multiple before and after the operator? It changes the answer (of course) to something that can be simplified and actually makes sense, but I don't see why this is the correct way to do it.
>>
Do you guys understand what I'm asking?
>>
>>8718173

Yeah.. I stared at it for a good 4~6 minutes and at first I wanted to argue linearity but that's such a bullshit reason. I can't tell why. If you don't multiply by it, then it clearly changes the answer, you can see it on the first term easily.
>>
>>8718159
It's a linear operator?
>>
>>8718181
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the del operator is not linear.
>>
>>8718184
Del should be linear, prove it by plugging in a homogenous term and looking at uniqueness.

It's for sure linear in cartesian.
>>
If you where not using this shit DEL / NABLA notation you would see that your formula in red is the gradient while they apply the divergence in the calculus
>>
>>8718206
The terms of the del operator don't change if I'm doing a scalar multiplication of del versus a dot product involving del, so I don't see what you mean when you say that the formula in red only applies to gradience and not divergence.
>>
divergence involves a matrix produxt and you can clearly see here that the result is different from the gradient

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates
>>
File: diver.png (5KB, 375x59px) Image search: [Google]
diver.png
5KB, 375x59px
>>8718159
I don't think I understand what you mean, but the math looks good to me
>>
>>8718220
oh....

wrong equation

thought they were same for gradience and divergence

thanks, this makes sense now
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.