[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard does /sci/ study for exams ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1488402414942.png (168KB, 727x682px) Image search: [Google]
1488402414942.png
168KB, 727x682px
How many hours of studying do you put into preparing for an exam ?

I just got a 46% at a Plant physiology exam for which I studied 24 hours total over the course of 5 days prior to the exam.
I'm just trying to analyze and find out how I got that shitty grade when my peers got 70s and 80s.
Am I actually a brainlet or I just didn't study enough for that particular course? Or maybe my studying method is not effective
I need to find out what it is and correct it for the remaining half of the semester
>>
>>8717119
>struggling with plant physiology

Draw out all of the diagrams until you can draw and label all of them in your textbook from memory.
This is how I have studied for bio subjects since highschool.
t.Bio major anon

I have whole notebooks full of identical diagrams from when I was practicing.
>>
>>8717119
Nothing lol
I just pay attention in classes, do the exercises and do the exam. Only biology is something that makes me have a look in books because I can't fully memorize and understand.
Just repiting something over and over don't work well for most of the people, you should try other methods.
>>
>>8717123
The thing is I've never took a biochem class and I had to learn how the the amino acids, carbohydrates, enzymes and proteins work which took me like 10 hours to understand by myself with the help of crashcourse videos. Then it was about photosynthesis, the krebs cycle and respiration

So you basically draw the diagrams from your notebook to memorize them?
>>
>>8717119
There might also be trouble with your style of answering the questions.

Does your professor prefer short and exact answers, or verbose? Did you write slightly off-topic, or made up facts? Answers should have a solid structure (phenomenon/system in general -> a subsystem in detail -> short conclusion).
>>
>>8717163
Yep, I draw every diagram in the textbook so as I can draw it out and label it in the exam if needed.
I drew out the whole Krebs cycle in my A level exams, got full marks for that question.

So I find in bio it's a mix of understanding underlying concepts, which if you are not a brainlet you should be able to do, and being able to regurgitate diagrams with pinpoint accuracy to help you remember/explain certain processes.
>>
File: 56e3319f1e00008700703e39.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
56e3319f1e00008700703e39.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
>>8717119
I knew a guy who studied twice as much as most people in class, and consistently scored the lowest on exams (like 10%). He didn't understand why he was doing poorly, so I asked him about how he spent his time studying. He said he would write out every question word for word in a notebook before answering them. A lot of the textbook questions were 2+ paragraphs long.

I told him it was a waste of time, and he said he did it because his genchem professor taught him to do that. He also did questions with the solution manual open. I told him that wasn't a good idea, and he looked at me like I was an alien. Most recently I think he got the lowest score on our first pchem exam, and he just dropped it. Haven't seen him since.

pic unrelated
>>
>>8717163
>crashcourse videos
there's your problem, anon
>>
>>8717170
Actually yes, now I remember being confused during the exam cause the teacher assistant would walk by us and give us advice, he'd take a look at my sheet and tell me to be more concise, that that thing was unecessary, remove that, etc.
That's not how I usually do in my other biology classes, I just let my mind go and write down all the things I remember for a particular question with a rough structure. That could've been detrimental, I'll see next week when we'll be able to take a look at our exams
>>
>>8717225
They're not that bad, are they ?

It helped me grasp the concepts better I believe
>>
>>8717261
In my opinion they are bad because you don't actually learn the material since you lack application, but I don't know about Biology
>>
>>8717119
>never study
>skip classes half the time
>still get a's and b's

I like watching this shit on youtube for fun. At 3-4x speed.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.