[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix math education in America?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.png (9KB, 357x174px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9KB, 357x174px
i think i figured it out.
>in school they make you memorize formulas and recite them on questions on tests
>maybe we let all kids use formulas on tests so they can actually understand the material
>not just focus on passing the test and memorizing formulas
>in the real world formulas and double checking work is common practice
>if you have access to the formulas, instead of memorizing them, you can understand how they apply and how the math is useful/important
don't give me le edgy cramschool meme like the Asians go to.
they do have extreme rates of suicide and plagiarism
>what do you think of this idea /sci/?
>>
>>8717039
t. brainlet who can't memorize formulas
>>
>>8717039
They call it Common Core..

Not perfect, but certainly a significant leap in the directions you're suggesting.
>>
>>8717059
t. retard who thinks knowing math is all about memorizing
>>
>>8717067
knowledge IS memory
you can't teach someone how to be intelligent and how to understand concepts intuitively, they either can or they can't.
>>
soh cah toa
There I literally did highschool maths for ya
>>
>>8717067
if you cant even memorize a basic formula then you have bigger problems.

good luck even getting past algebra lmao.
>>
I do not memorize formulas, instead I understand how and why they are derived.
If you do not understand why and how a formula is derived you do not understand math at all.

>>8717270
It isn't about being able to memorize a formula or not, think about all the formulas even a high school student will have learned..they will remember not even half of them. We are only teaching rote memorization instead of understanding
>>
>>8717314
>We are only teaching rote memorization instead of understanding
And you can thank common core where everyone gets held down so that random niggers keep up and that doesnt even happen at all.
>>
>>8717314
even Euler in Elements of Algebra acknowledges that memorization is an important part of mathematics, especially with formulas, you brainlet
>>
>>8717314
You teach both you fucking brainlet. You teach understanding and the formulas. Of course each kid needs to know how its derived jesus christ how can you be so dense. Only the idiots will manage to scrape by on spending hours memorizing every fucking formula.
>>
>the average student can barely memorize bhaskara's formula
>expecting teachers to make them learn how to derive it
>>
>>8717338
>hi, I am anon and I have not a single clue what common core is!
Go back to /pol/
>>8717349
You are an idiot and have not a single understanding of what Euler's intent was if you think it is acceptable to just drill formulas
>>8717356
>Of course each kid needs to know how its derived jesus christ how can you be so dense
Than why is it that they do not understand? Why is it they do not teach how?
I teach an introductory algebra class where we go over quadratics and no where in the text is a mention of completing the square.
You quite clearly no nothing about education, your opinion is the same worth as a rock. Fuck off
>>
File: sci math.png (119KB, 1216x970px) Image search: [Google]
sci math.png
119KB, 1216x970px
>>8717039

Actually teach math in elementary school so they can use it (and see it used) in their science classes in high school. HS math then can be made electives for those who want to go farther.
>>
>>8717039
Tch, took you guys long enough.Here in UK we get formula books with our exams, because we're tested on applying knowledge, not memorising what can be Googled at any time IRL
>>
File: INCHES PER SECOND.png (39KB, 743x211px) Image search: [Google]
INCHES PER SECOND.png
39KB, 743x211px
I just found this gem.
FOR GOD'S SAKE LEARN TO USE SI
>>
>>8717368
>You are an idiot and have not a single understanding of what Euler's intent was if you think it is acceptable to just drill formulas

Stop putting words in my mouth, you mongoloid. That's not what I said at all, and you haven't read Elements of Algebra.
>>
>>8717376
Sounds like someone isn't smart enough to use grade school math :^)
>>
>>8717039
Have parents that promote healthy learning not

> Here is my ipad I'm tired. Play games and watch shit tv.
>>
>>8717376
We go to the moon, we make our own damn system to do it. Maybe if you third world yuroniggers made any significant advancements we'd have more of an inclination to change.
>>
To be honest, anyone who doesn't have the brain capacity of a rock with Alzheimer's and gives half a shit about school can easily memorize formulas.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.