[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleep/Dream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_mdrebon0Zk1rofwkio1_1280.jpg (73KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdrebon0Zk1rofwkio1_1280.jpg
73KB, 600x338px
Will biologists ever discover the true reason why humans, and animals in general, must sleep? What are the current most plausible theories?
>>
>>8716145

Because before lights and entertainment night time was boring
>>
>>8716145
>biology
>hard science
>>
File: 12222334.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
12222334.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>tfw having some hair loss anxiety in my early 20's and it seems like I'm having at least 2 balding nightmares a week now
>>
>>8716155
t. anti-vax
>>
I'm not a biology fan, but doesn't the animals just sleep to not waste energy and do the hormone stuff? Like, you liberate more of them when sleeping? Also, since our eyes aren't well adapted to see in the dark, and therefore wasn't lights besides the moon and the stars, there wasn't much to do, so I guess sleep was the best way to not waste energy.
>>
>>8716182
There are animals on this planet that do not sleep. Sleep is unique to a particular set of species for which we don't know the reason yet. I believe sleep/dreams are the result of the emergence of consciousness.
>>
Perhaps a random mutation that proved to be beneficial and stayed?
>>
>>8717152
This is the answer to literally every biology "why" question
>>
>>8717150
Well, dreaming is a great way to your brain to understand a future event that may happen and how would you react with some conditions, like when you're fighting someone and your moves get slower. That's what I heard. Even if it's very irracional, it tries to simulate it.
>>
Pretty sure sleep is a necessity, not judt something we do to save energy. At least there's that genetic disease where you become unable to sleep and die a horrifying fucking death from lack of sleep
>>
because lights were only invented recently, and you can't do much in the dark, so it is better to save the energy until light comes than to keep burning it all day

>>8716182
wrote my answer, then read his answer which says basically the same thing. fuck it im keeping it
>>
>>8717305
There are people who have been documented to live well into old age who were unable to sleep because of some brain trauma or other physical condition.

There are also people who swear to some super-sleep cycle. Basically you just nap for 15 minutes like 8 times a day. I donĀ“t know healthy this is, but some swear it works.
>>
>>8717957
Lack of sleep can literally kill you. It's really important, your brain turns into mush if you stay awake for a week or longer.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.