[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any point in becoming a methematician?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: hmmm.jpg (51KB, 600x511px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
51KB, 600x511px
When you can't possibly ever be a small fraction as effective as a basic smart phone?
Is it really worth spending years in university and countless dollars, to be able to solve problems someone else already did 200 years ago?
Sounds like a waste of life to me. Why not do something useful instead?
>>
It is a waste of time.

Better you realise this now.
>>
OP being a mathematician is about learning how to solve problems people and computers don't know how to do yet.

We develop the mathematical tools for the other scientists to use. I'm working right now on better ways of modeling historical tsunamis to give bounds on tsunami risk for costal areas.

After your first year or so, your classes will focus on how you know a thing is true or how to use something you know to solve a problem you don't know the answer to yet.

Until AI comes along, you're only competing with people.
>>
>>8716152
Keep telling yourself that.

P.S. AI is already here.
>>
>>8716156

Prove it.
>>
>>8716152
neural nets are already is industrial use, catch up anon, i can do those calculations you're talking about on my m2090 workstation, the fact is you've been duped into taking a massive debt you didn't need to because con men lied to you about the real world, no one needs university anymore, and all that paper proves is that you're a rube, a stooge, a mark, a gullible sucker. worse than bad credit is a university degree and a heap of debt
>>
>>8716162
Sorry my skunkworks access card isn't working at the moment.

Listen Anon, you're obviously very bright, like many others in your field. If your intelligence and focus along with theirs was directed elsewhere. Cancer would be as dangerous as a common cold.
>>
>>8716171
are you trying to beat cancer? if no fuck off
>>
>>8716254
All of us should be trying to beat cancer, one way or another. What's your point?
>>
>>8716322
Cancer is natural. Eliminate cancer and we'll just be even more overpopulated than we are now.
>>
>>8716164

neural nets can't do my algebraic topology assignment so fuck you
>>
>>8716763
I bet they can, you just don't know it yet.
>>
>>8716073
Having trouble with calc 1, my friend?
>>
>>8716164
The Riemann has yet to be proofed/explained by anyone or any computer.

Fermat's last theorm was solved by a person
Not a computer
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.