[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Consider this /sci/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (100KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
100KB, 1280x640px
I don't know if this is a correct board for this kind of a discussion so apologies in advance if I goofed up.
Anyway, consider the possibility that there is no such thing as the smallest or the largest particle in the universe. That could mean universe is infinite in space and time not only horizontally but also vertically (e.g. galaxies forming from photons or sth similar), of course if we consider that the big bang could pertain only to a "small" fraction of otherwise infinite universe and that space and time by itself are absolute and infinite. I think we could try to explain some of fundamental parts of mainstream physical theories with gravitational effects inside the absolute space-time frame (e.g. slowing of preceived passage of time could be explained the other way, f.e. motion and speed of motion (or changes in speed) could influence the speed of physical processes in said reference system), gravitational effects could create illusion of curving the space (e.g. bending of light under the influence of gravity). Anyway, I just thought current descriptions of the universe are somewhat occult and non-intuitive, and there must be some other paths to explain current data in a more logical and elegant fashion.
Thoughts?
>>
Don't you think we would know if there were larger particles in existance? And not a physicist here, but iirc physicists were saying with the last big discovery that they felt they were close to uncovering the smallest.
>>
>>8715735
duh existence.
>>
>>8715735
IDK, IIRC correctly they discovered large quasar clusters just recently and they're now considered the largest known structures in the universe (and historically we kept on discovering larger and larger structures, opposite is also true)
>>
I don't think motion would be at all possible if there was the smallest particle in the universe
>>
>>8715727
You want a real massive "particle"? A neutron star is basically a humongous solid atom. The hypothetical quark star is even better, being effectively a single particle.
>>
>>8715768
Yeah, thats kinda what I thought about. And the galaxies could just be the endgame phase of a dying compact particle (its basically a rotating disc, it could've been a compact round particle in the past)
>>
>>8715775
Which is dissolving that way because of rotation
>>
>>8715775
Not really, galaxies were always made of gasses aggregating into clumping matter. That kind of concentration of matter just becomes black holes. The quark star would be the absolute limit of how big you can go before that point.

Now if you want to go all the way back to the big bang, you could make a case for a real megaparticle. But the definition probably fails entirely at that point.

You might also group things as a whole based on quantum interaction, but although it can happen in the lab (boise-einstein condensates) real systems are far too noisy to manage it.
>>
>>8715782
I could never really understand the concept of black holes (I'm not a physicist). How is that kind of matter density possible without enormous pressure from outside? Wouldn't any aggregating of mass just reverse into dissolving at some point (without adequate pressure)? Wouldn't all those particles start repulsing one another at some point?
>>
>>8715804
It isn't, a giant star needs to explode and create a suitably concentrated mass. It isn't required afterwards because of the gravity alone. Black holes do slowly evaporate, but the universe will be long dead before any of them manage to poof out of existence.
>>
>>8715962
Thanks for the answer, now it makes more sense. But still, why would larger particles be impossible if mass alone isn't enough to form a black hole? How did scientists calculate the upper limit?
>>
>>8716014
And also giant quasar clusters, largest known structures in the universe. Maybe there are superparticles that appear less dense from our relative microcosmal point of view but are actually quite dense on larger scale (and also in the opposite way, on an infinite scale)
>>
>>8715727
>galaxies forming from photons
How the fuck would that work if photons have to always move at c
>>
>>8716204
Well, I didn't mean literal galaxies, rather "galaxies" on lower microscopic level, e.g. subgalaxies. And yes, everything (motion, speed of natural processes) would be at much higher speeds at lower levels. The smaller something is the faster it moves etc. That would mean there is no largest nor smallest speed in the universe (subphotons would be much faster than photons etc). Maybe galaxies on our level formed from "superphotons" (or some other particle, point is every type of particle would repeat itself over and over again when looked on an infinite vertical micro-macro scale - sorry for clumsy expressions, english is not my mother tongue).
>>
>>8716509
So the lifespan of those "subgalaxies" would probably be a fraction of a second or something similar on our level.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.