[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what mental gymnastics do you have to go through in order to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1482477476465.gif (8KB, 341x320px) Image search: [Google]
1482477476465.gif
8KB, 341x320px
what mental gymnastics do you have to go through in order to get a paper published?
>>
>>8715270
invent/discover/prove/contribute something meaningful and articulate what you have done

thats literally it.
academia is one of the last true meritocracies
>>
File: 1470310153220.png (155KB, 455x396px) Image search: [Google]
1470310153220.png
155KB, 455x396px
>>8715275
>academia is one of the last true meritocracies
Holy shit you don't actually believe that do you? Academia is a fucking vipers pit, how robust your theory is means nothing
>>
>>8715277
sounds like your theories are shit then
i'm literally autistic and i don't play the "office politics" game and i'm published many times
>>
>>8715285
Sociology doesn't count
>>
>>8715275
I hope that's true
>>
>>8715286
what makes you think i'm a sociologist?
>>
>>8715301
You said you were autistic
>>
>>8715277
>vipers pit
They publish anyone as long as they're statistically sound and peer reviewed. It's more of a problem that people can get their crackpot theory published somewhere by citing papers that have yet to be released, doing a circle citing with other crackpots, fudging statistical reports and having shoddy samples, etc.
>>
>>8715303
why wouldn't you jump immediately to computer science or mathematics?
>>
>>8715275
>academia is one of the last true meritocracies
you're fucking retarded or delusional if you believe that.

academia is nothing but politics and brand.
>>
>>8715318
I think he's using both "autistic" and "sociologist" as insults - not speaking literally.
>>
>>8715337
see above
t. autist
>>
>>8715346
can we just not be so b4utal with the auitism jokes, i'm not a pc guy, i hate that sjw bulshit, but when a guy is like "hey i'm aspergers" can we just have a little decency and not cut people down for it, we're not all the same, but we're all human, that's something, and i actually feel bad when people aren't given a fair chance, you know equality of opportunity, with no guarantee of the outcome, i'm not saying every autist is the wizard, but you gotta give people a chance at least, without throwing out useless namecalling at people with shit on the table. that just ain't right.
>>
>>8715359
Eh, if it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure it's only really in vogue on 4chan and Youtube - places where people are either especially mean or especially retarded. I don't think it's meant to put actual autistic people down (over 50% of 4chan has literal autism, I'm sure); it's just something that caught on once "retarded" became a stale insult.
>>
How difficult would it be, or is it even possible, for a autodidact to self study and get to be able to publish? Or is the only way to get to be able to publish is to go through university?
>>
>>8715419
That's not possible.
>>
>>8715419
its possible
its generally easier if you have an affiliation though
some unis will give you a "soft money" apppointment - they hire you as a research professor contingent on your ability to bring in grants. you must write and receive grants, and if they don't cover your salary+expenses you're cut loose.
>>
File: c0J49Xr.gif (914KB, 499x269px) Image search: [Google]
c0J49Xr.gif
914KB, 499x269px
>>8715435
Sure it is. Unlikely, but you can definitely publish a sufficiently strong paper without being associated with a university. That said:

>>8715419
Why would you waste your time trying to publish if you don't want a career in research? And if you want a career in research, why don't you go and get a PhD like a normal person?

Sounds like you just wanna publish so you can say you've published. Waste of everybody's time, including yours.
>>
>>8715445
I like to self study things. I would be interested in studying enough to get to the depth where I could do research. But unfortunately I fucked up my academic history by flunking out and so my cumulative GPA is so low that no respectable university's would admit me. I looked at the transfer admissions webpages for the top thirty or so universities and they all have cumulative GPA requirements that I wouldn't be able to achieve no matter how many As I got if I tried to raise my cumulative GPA by taking classes at a open enrollment community college.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.