[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

a tricky question in calculus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: CodeCogsEqn.gif (3KB, 715x93px) Image search: [Google]
CodeCogsEqn.gif
3KB, 715x93px
this question appeared in a freshman calculus course in my university

can you figure out why this question is tricky?
nobody in my university gets this question correct
>>
>>8714570
You have written out that shitter of a question, it was not asked in your uni course.

Come clean anon, just by looking at that I would be highly surprised if it had solutions.
>>
>>8714570
nice try dude. take your homework somewhere else
>>
>>8714570
bait
or you go to a very shitty uni
>>
>>8714570
The only part of R where it works is {1} and it gives 0. You found your maximum AND minimum.
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>8714570
f(x)=0 everywhere it is defined (i.e. on {-1, 1})
>>
>>8714570 (OP) it was asked few years ago, I'm now in a phD

>>8714570 (OP)
lmao i know how to use the chain rule and those shits

>>8714570 (OP)
try to enter the function in wolframalpha and youll realize the function is not what you expected
>>
>>8714593
it is defined on -1 too
Are you literally retarded ?
>>
>>8714570 (OP) >>8714570 (OP)

youre right, all students made the derivative with the rule chain whitout thinking, and almost all found a non existent local maximum at 0

you cannot define a derivative in the discrete space {-1,1} since you need at least a limit point to define a limit kek
>>
>>8714570
One part of the function is only defined in [-1,1]
The other part of the function is defined only in [-inf,-1] union [1,inf]

So this function is only defined at {1,-1}

Now, a point x is a global maximum if and only if for every x element of the domain, f(x) is less than or equal than f(c)

So now lets check it for 1

f(1) = 0
and f(-1) = 0
and 0 is less than or equal to 0

so 1 is a maximum. The same reasoning shows that -1 is a maximum. And the same reasoning shows that 1 and -1 are also minima.

>>8714583
>>8714587
>>8714589

If you think about it, this is a good question to get the little calc I babby retards to try to think for the first time in their life about what a definition fucking says, instead of plugging and chugging with formulas and dick jerking.
>>
>>8714605
You literally go to a community college if nobody in your class realized they were differentiating a function that's not even defined
>>
>>8714610
the definition of the function is wrong, though.
it says the domain is R when, for example,
0 is in R but f(0) is not real.
>>
>>8714612
its defined in a discrete space of two points {-1,1}, but the derivative not, and the question never say nothing about derivatives
>>
>>8714613
>it says the domain is R when, for example,
>0 is in R but f(0) is not real.

I remember back in high school we sayd functions were defined in the real numbers, when really they were defined in a subset of the real numbers.

Just some dumb notation, probably to give the kids the hint that if they start taking complex derivatives, they have gone way off.
>>
>>8714583
>>8714613
This is what I was getting at. It is not a function with real solutions, even though it is presented as such.

>>8714614
>f -> R
>only in 2 discrete points

Seems like a real function alright.
>>
>>8714618
>Seems like a real function alright.

You can always think of a "real" function which is not defined somewhere to be a function such that it maps those points to the empty set.
>>
>>8714617
You trying to tell me your notation is justified because it's okay to have an unreal solution midway through your function?
Of the 3 domain integers your function includes, 30% of them give an non-real range.
>>
>>8714617
>>8714618

the issue is, when you consider the formal definition of a function as a set of ordered pairs satisfying, among other properties, (a,f(a)) is in f for all a in Domain, the function is clearly ill-defined.

this question made me consider the case of cardano formula where there is a complex "intermediate" for a certain evaluation of a function, but both the input and the output are real. would that function be well defined?
>>
>>8714631
I would imagine that as the complex intermediate does not interfere with the actual mapping of each domain to a real range, it is still a well defined function.
It is only when a input ceases to give a real output (OP's case) when it gets fucky.
>>
>>8714610
>If you think about it, this is a good question to get the little calc I babby retards to try to think for the first time in their life about what a definition fucking says, instead of plugging and chugging with formulas and dick jerking.
yup, it's a perfect homework question

might net you a few math majors too
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.