[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SpaceX fudging payload numbers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: spacex-price.gif (148KB, 1456x801px) Image search: [Google]
spacex-price.gif
148KB, 1456x801px
So let me get this straight:
>falcon 9 1.1
>mass: 506,000 kg
>payload: 13,150 kg
>payload/mass fraction: 2.59%

>falcon 9 "FT"
>mass: 549,000 kg
>payload: 22,800 kg
>payload/mass fraction: 4.15%

How the fuck do they get a 60% payload mass fraction improvement just by increasing the thrust of the engines by 29%?
Are they fudging their numbers?
That is the only way this seems even remotely possible.

Falcon 9 "block 5" is supposed to increase the thrust by an additional 11%. Does this mean that it will have a payload capability of 28,000kg (the same as D-IV Heavy)?

Also, how does the payload for Falcon 9 increase by 73% but the payload for Falcon Heavy only increases by 9%? I'm starting to think that there's no reason to believe any of these numbers until they prove them via payload launch.

Can anyone with more knowledge than me on this chime in?
>>
This 13,000kg payload was including reuse
The 22,800kg payload is expendable payload

Though certainly there has been increases in performance
>>
>>8713969
>This 13,000kg payload was including reuse
>The 22,800kg payload is expendable payload
Source?
>>
>>8713973
my ass
I think its untrue actually.
>>
File: Capture.png (68KB, 1114x383px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
68KB, 1114x383px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9#Comparison
>>
>>8713969
wrong

>>8713957
Staging.

The Falcon 9 Heavy is a 2.5 stages.
Falcon 9 is 2 stages.
>>
>>8713957
Go ask your question on forum.nasaspaceflight.com actual rocket scientists will answer you.
>>
>>8714005
Yes, that's where I got the numbers from.

Care to comment on those payload increases?
>>
>>8713957
They where attempting reuse on 1.0 and 1.1. On the 1.0 they did a boost back burn followed by parachuting launch specks induced the extra flue used for this decreasing its performance on paper.

In 1.1 they added things like grid fins and later landing legs mid production.

Yes the numbers are all fucked up because of stuff like this. No its not some grand conspiracy.

Hopefully they start launching at a reasonable cadence soon. They have a rather large backlog and could use the extra revenue to fund ITS.
>>
>>8713969
Yeah, at first they were just advertising capacities they were confident they could deliver and which they believed would give them enough margin for landing attempts.

If you have a look at the prices, it says F9 is limited to 5.5 tonnes to GTO, while FH is limited to only 8. They don't advertise a full menu of services with prices, if you want more than that, you have to negotiate. Expendable launches are a special service.

>>8713957
>I'm starting to think that there's no reason to believe any of these numbers until they prove them via payload launch.
These are vehicles in the real world, so of course it's more complicated than a simple single number. Maximum capacity figures are estimates based on assumptions that would take a fairly lengthy explanation.

>how does the payload for Falcon 9 increase by 73% but the payload for Falcon Heavy only increases by 9%?
Falcon Heavy payload figures were probably expendable from the start. But also: the Falcon 9 figures are based on real experience, while they have to be conservative with the Falcon Heavy numbers because they've never flown one. I wouldn't be surprised if after Falcon Heavy starts flying, the max LEO payload goes over 70 tonnes.
>>
>>8714049
>On the 1.0 they did a boost back burn followed by parachuting launch specks induced the extra flue used for this decreasing
There was no boost-back burn on 1.0, it was parachute only, and they never got as far as deploying the parachutes because it kept breaking up on entry. I think when they realized they needed an entry burn, and it was going to be tricky, they decided they might as well just use the restartable engines to land.

Also: are you having a stroke?
>>
>>8714122
My brain dablige or lack there of is no consernt yo you.

And they did at least have parachutes.
>>
>>8713957

Performance increases due to reduced gravity losses can be very significant.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.