[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci/, i'm currently studying to become a chemical engineer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 150px-Lithium_element.jpg (7KB, 150x222px) Image search: [Google]
150px-Lithium_element.jpg
7KB, 150x222px
hey /sci/, i'm currently studying to become a chemical engineer at college and my professor allows his students to use the lab anytime, however there's a catch. we need to bring in our own materials for experiments. currently i've had a lot of interest with the alkali metals and would like to do some experiments with them, however i have no clue where i could possibly get any of them, let alone how easy it'll be. should i simply put the curiosity aside or is it possible for me to get a sample large enough to work with?
>>
Lithium is easy to work with

no problems at all there

Li->Na->K in water goes from Fizzy->Burny->Explody
>>
>>8711794
i know it's easy to work with of course, we've done some stuff with them in my lab classes. the problem is that i want to do some work with possibly higher alkali metals yet i have no clue where i could get them. i know you can buy elements and chemical compounds but i never knew where to get alkali metals.
>>
You can get them from any chemical company. Look at sigma Aldrich or something like that

Just out of curositity, could you be more specific about your interest in these metals? Are you actually researching something or do you just want to make boom boom in the lab?
>>
>>8711835
well i'm also studying psychology and lithium has a lot of applications to controlling bipolar disorder and a deficiency in it causes erratic behavior
>>
>>8711858
(just adding to that)
i feel understanding how it works with other elements and compounds found in the human body would be very useful research and evidence into its impact in the human brain
>>
>>8711794
>Lithium is easy to work with
I'd take organomagnesium halides any day over anything organolithium
>>
>>8711900
by easiest to work with i'm guessing they mean that based on the fact lithium is the least volatile
>>
>>8711792
bring some dimethylmercury
>>
buy cheap batteries and cut them open
>>
>>8711792
get it from the place the school gets its stuff.
>>
amazon, sigma-aldrich, promega... it can be expensive though.... you can always go to home depot, maybe go to a car shop to see if they have old batteries laying around. check to see if you have a chemical stockroom, get to know some professors and see if you can use some of their scrap materials
>>
File: t3_5v5x1g_0.jpg (801KB, 1091x1505px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5v5x1g_0.jpg
801KB, 1091x1505px
>>8711907
>not following the path of bakuretsu
>>
>>8712680
those hips though
>>
>>8712148
I remember seeing a spicy prank here, where some lad brought a jar of liquid gallium labeled dimethylmercury and "accidentally" spilled it on someone to make them freak out.
>>
File: megumin vietnam war.jpg (184KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
megumin vietnam war.jpg
184KB, 774x1032px
>>8713016
The true EXPLOSION was in my pants all along
>>
>>8711792
>chemical eng
>alkali

No kiddo, chemical eng is not about that
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.