[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

big data thesis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: prenos.jpg (12KB, 284x178px) Image search: [Google]
prenos.jpg
12KB, 284x178px
Hello
I don’t really know where to put this so I will start here, hopefuly I will get some help.
I am currently in the process of deciding a topic for my master thesis. I come from a marketing/public relations background, but I want to focus on big data for this (big data in forecasting consumer behaviour, or similar topics). I don’t have any programming/advanced statistics skills, so I’m worried I won’t be able to do this.
What do you guys think, can you recommend some topics/titles? Do you think I can manage a thesis (approx. 100 pages long) with no advanced knowledge in a year or so? It will probably have to include some sort of empirical part and I don’t know what this could be.
I am willing to put in a lot of work since this is something that really interests me and I hope I can make a career out of it.

tl;dr
>master thesis titles combining big data and marketing
>>
I guess maybe this should go under /adv/ but I kind of want to talk about how to make an empirical study of big data (is it possible to do something, like an analysis) if I don't really have the knowledge of programming/algorithms. Or where should I start studying these topics....
>>
>>8709720
Take a senior-level stats class at your university. If you fail, you cannot do Big Data.
>>
>>8709720
>>8709761
No fuck you god damn mind readers, I hate that I made a dummy Facebook profile years back with no identifying information and a fake name, and yet I still get emails asking me to add people I talked to in highschool and never even got the email of let alone any contact online.

It's creepy.
>>
>>8709786
*if you don't get an A.
>>
>>8709786
I aced a basic level stat class, but I don't think that really is a benchmark, it is considered to be among the "harder" classes, but once I got a bit into it I saw that it was actually nothing. But it got me interested in this stuff and I was kind of optimistic about my skill.

BUT... I am now that far in my studies that I won't be able to take the kind of class you are talking about, so I will have to find another way...
>>
>>8709787
I know, it gets criticised alot, and ofc it can get creepy, but I really don't want to debate the "ethics" part of it right now, I just want to focus this debate purely on the studies
>>
>>8709720
Fuck off
>>
>>8709816
>>8709720

You are literally wasting your time and money, and will end up dropping out without completion, if you do not have good grasp of the following:
- Bayesian Statistics
- Frequentist Statistics (the type you've probably done a bit of; you want a really good grasp of the intricacies and ins/outs of hypothesis testing)
- Programming- C++, R, Python to begin with, keeping in mind you will be doing the data mining entirely by yourself
- Calculus
- Graph theory if you're looking at social media type stuff

I know /sci/ tend to jump on outsiders and call them retards, but I'm being 100% serious here, you do not have the background. I'm a postgraduate student in this field, part of a larger big data group. I've seen so many stupid kids in your exact position who think they're top shit because they got good marks in a wishy washy degree like commerce and/or marketing (not tryna bag you, but I'm willing to bet that monkeys could pass your degree) and just want to do the get-rich-quick thing and jump into a trendy field. They always, always either get kicked out or fail out almost immediately. People doing this have 4 years of background and rigour over you. If you're really that serious, then do a coursework Masters or another undergraduate degree first. Unless if you're literally Terry Tao (which you aren't), you won't be able to go through all the prerequisite knowledge AND write a thesis in 1-2 years. It's not difficult stuff, just a lot to learn.
>>
>>8710591
You're right that he has way too much to learn to be able to do this, but I disagree on the topics.

There is no need to learn 3 programming languages for one master thesis, strip that down to R cause it's the easiest one. (If you don't care about model evaluation / improving, you could literally get a machine learning algorithm going with 4 lines of code).

No need for bayes stuff for one master thesis as well.

There is not that much need for calculus either in my opinion, if anything linear algebra would probably be better here.

I'd argue that the only things he really needs to make a good master thesis is R data analysis and programming knowledge, one introductory book to machine learning with R, an huge statistics book that goes beyond the basics (at least a little) and yeah maybe a small book in graph theory if he's dealing with social network analysis (but then again he'd need another book on network analysis as well).

If you spend 2 month doing nothing else you can do it, but I'd say it's pretty unrealistic OP. Don't do it.
>>
File: P=NP.png (34KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
P=NP.png
34KB, 1000x625px
ok for BIG DATA here is the key:
Assume independence and identically distributed data and test your hypothesis with a critical value of .25 your shit will get published in Nature.
>>
>>8711150
I mention C++ because many people find their R code is too clunky and takes way too long to run certain things so they write C++ code and wrap R code around that.
>>
>>8710591
>>8711150

Yeah, I was kind of expecting this to be the case. Although I wouldn't mind learning R and some other things, but all in all it sounds like too much work.

But even so, I will still try and do a bit more research, meet with some professors and think things through. Otherwise I will have to find a new topic I guess...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.