[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone act like engineering school is really hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1460363472448.jpg (35KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
1460363472448.jpg
35KB, 780x438px
Why does everyone act like engineering school is really hard and demanding?

Employers always act amazed that I could maintain a high GPA is "such a demanding program."

Am I just that good, or is everyone around me retarded/lazy/etc.?
>>
retarded/lazy
>>
>>8709580
Depends on the uni

Also, you could have naturally perfectly optimize effort put in vs professor's grade

What's an alright GPA to graduate with? I've slowly declined over the semester but am still at 3.5
>>
>>8709597
I dunno, man.

I think outsiders have a warped view of just how difficult this particular engineering school is. They have the perception that you have to be extremely intelligent to succeed here. But the truth is that the classes, while you do have to put in some work, teach concepts very superficially. It doesn't take much smarts to memorize a bunch of processes, as opposed to really understanding what's going on. On the other hand, I am still in the first half of my schooling. Maybe upper-division courses are better. But, based on conversations with people who are about to graduate, probably not.
>>
>>8709618
>On the other hand, I am still in the first half of my schooling. Maybe upper-division courses are better. But, based on conversations with people who are about to graduate, probably not.

Undergraduate really isn't that hard, but nobody outside of academia knows this. If your employer was a business major, then of course he is gonna think you're smart. But if your employer has a PhD in STEM he's going to call you out for the stupid shit you are.
>>
>>8709641
>>8709618
you guys don't realize how many people attrition out of engineering programs.
>>
>>8709657
>attrition out of engineering programs.
I've legitimately never heard anyone use this phrase before. Do you mean fail out?
>>
Electrical engineering and mechanical engineering are hard. I kek when someone tries to compare their environmental engineering major to either of those.
>>
>>8709667
not him but
Run out of money.
>>
>>8709667
>>8709675
If that's true- people drop out of college due to financial concerns all the time. How is engineering more expensive than any other degree? Surely the classload isn't doubled/tripled for some reason..
>>
>>8709683
That's what I'm confused about to. Why would a degree being too expensive have any relation to an employers willingness to hire someone with that degree?
>>
Idk. You have to choose between putting more effort into school or socializing. You obviously chose school.
>>
>>8709667
its failing, running out of money, realizing the major was too hard and switching to something else.

engineering crushes people.
>>
It is a bit of both honestly. Engineering isn't as hard as people make it out to be, but you do have to actually put work into it.
>>
I'm a lazy idiot who spends most of his time fucking around with his girlfriend and playing bass

I have a 4.0 in math and physics as well as research, publications, REUs, etc

I feel like an imposter
>>
>>8709580
retarded/lazy. courses are quite literally designed to be passed by anyone giving a fuck

employers like you because you showed you can put in effort to jump through any hoops set before you. whereas the faggots saying "C's get DEGREES brah" outed themselves as eternal slackers and are less likely to work hard
>>
It may be harder or easier depending on the person specifically.
>>
Engineering is just a lot of work. More work than any other major. You have to touch on basically every major science field at least once a year for the first two years.
Just imagine all of the 16,17,18 year old kids in your old highschool classes. How many of them actually paid attention? How many actually had any math or linguistics skills?
>>
>>8709580
It isn't that the subject matter is exceptionally challenging intellectually, it's due to the insane workload associated with a typical engineering course sequence
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.