[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Natural Gas Meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3820-Optimized.jpg (183KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3820-Optimized.jpg
183KB, 1350x900px
So let me get this straight.
>natural gas gives off less than half the amount of CO2 that coal does per kWh
>literally burns several potent greenhouse gases as fuel
>it's cleaner than coal by orders of magnitude
>we have huge excess of this stuff from oil drilling
>it's the cheapest energy source (by FAR)
>we can reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 30-35% JUST by replacing every coal plant with a NG plant (with the addition of electric cars, that means 60-65% reduction)
>isn't stuck in bureaucratic hell like nuclear
Why aren't we building these things en-mass RIGHT NOW, /sci/?
>>
Should be investing in nuclear desu
>>
>>8707671
Because russia and iran have by far the largest natural gas reserves, plain and simple.
>>
File: cng-tank.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
cng-tank.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
most taxis I know run on natural gas
>>
File: 1487788606909.jpg (446KB, 843x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1487788606909.jpg
446KB, 843x1034px
>>8707671
USA is actually. In an effort to become more energy independent. They've literally turned my area into a fucking cesspool of wells and refineries in only the past 5 years. It also stinks now due to the open pits everywhere.
>>
>>8707671
>Why aren't we building these things en-mass RIGHT NOW, /sci/?

we are. one of the main drawbacks of coal fired plants is lag time. CCHP gas turbines are not only efficient, but they can be turned on and off very quickly. this is important in areas that utilize a lot of solar, because of what is known as the "duck curve". this is why california has been installing natural gas plants all over.

the real nigga shit is going to happen once fuel cells become economical enough for a decentralized grid.
>>
>>8707762
Most coal power plants use natural gas to maintain power output.
>>
Nuclear is cheaper
The ONLY reason people don't build nuclear plants in the USA is because the regulators don't let them
>>
>>8707671
Society should have left that shit in the ground, where it belonged. But we had to be stupid, slothful and greedy. Opening a door is--and always has been--above most people. Most people gotta smash that "handcapped" button: without a care in world about pollution from the generation of the electricity that ran the motors. And when the door doesn't work because so many lazy people banged the button, the people in wheelchairs have to open it on their own. Lazy people "never" think about this, far less consider they have blame. Everyone, personally, has to pay in payn for their own waste. It's "cause and effect," the foundation of all stem.
>>
>>8707852
>Nuclear is cheaper
No.

>>8708085
>stop needing energy!
>>
>>8708950
Nuclear power is expensive because of regulations. It used to be much cheaper than it is now, and it is still cheaper in other countries.

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter9.html

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/02/cost-to-built-nuclear-power-plants-around-the-world/470226/
>>
>>8708963
>requiring technicians and managers to have high level degrees in nuclear engineering/technology is "excessive regulation"
>>
>>8708989
>Have negligible fuel costs

That matters
Modern designs would need a lot less 24/7 crew too
>>
>>8708989
if our boy billy bob wants to open his own nukuler plant that's none of the gubmints business!
>>
>>8707677
Even with Nuclear, Gas Turbines are good if you need a quick boost of power at peak load. A Natural Gas plan can go from cold to full power within a half hour of getting the call from the Grid Operators. Nuclear is good for the base load, but it can't react very quickly if you have a sudden load increase.
>>
>>8709102
You can just have some excess capacity in your nuclear plants
>>
>>8707732
>become energy independent
^rape earth for every last thing it has and make Americans pay for it and deal with the consequences
FTFY
>>
>>8709111
It takes more time to increase the output of a nuclear plant than it takes to start up a gas turbine. And what if that excess capacity is already being used? I'm not saying we should rely on gas turbines, but they're a cheap way to provide a decent amount of extra power on short notice.
>>
>>8707671
Trump won and wants coal miners to have jobs.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.