[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amateur Chemistry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: wot in conjugation.jpg (281KB, 2550x1016px) Image search: [Google]
wot in conjugation.jpg
281KB, 2550x1016px
Hey /sci/,

Chemfag here. I'm currently finishing up my sophomore year and preparing to enter into my upper division courses. I'm really liking organic chemistry but I am not liking how it's taught. However, I am aware that this is an introductory class and that everything else I'll learn with time, so it's not too bad. However, I've recently encountered a problem in my pursuit of chemistry, and that is that if I ever want to do chemistry, I specifically have to do it either in an academic setting where I may have little choice in what I may want to study, or work for a company and only focus on what they want me to do for them. I cannot pursue chemistry as an amateur because either
1. Reagents are banned
2. Glassware is banned
3. Analysis tools are literally in the millions of dollars range.

So my question is, what do? Are there chemists here who were bothered by any of this at all? If so how did you deal with it? am I doomed to be someone else's puppet?
>>
Become a professor and study/synthesize whatever the fuck you want. Thats my goal
>>
>Chemfag here. I'm currently finishing up my sophomore year and preparing to enter into my upper division courses.
lol if you thought organic was serious shit, wait till you get a good beating from biochem where labs are nothing but titrations and other annoying shit
>>
>>8706418
I didn't though, I honestly don't understand why people believe organic is the most hellish class there is. I had no problem understanding the subject matter, but it was a shit ton of work to do. I'm more worried about Pchem than anything, since I've heard that is the class that makes or breaks you.
>>
>>8706418
Actually sounds like this dunce actually likes the titrations.

PubMed and the ACA are both very available. Bet you haven't read a chem textbook, OP
>>
>>8706352
>...in an academic setting where I may have little choice in what I want to study

wat
>>
>>8706591
Foo, if you join a research group, you often have to do the research your adviser wants. The only way to really research what to do is to do what >>8706404 said, and even then, good luck convincing the NSF or the government that your research project is worth it if it doesn't somehow make them money.
>>
>>8706597
Dude srsly?

1. Why the fuck would you work for somebody who ran a research program that you didn't give a shit about?
2. You're got to be fucking joking about making the government money: cf. 85% of total syntheses in the literature.
>>
>>8706603
>researching random obscure molecules because it's cool.
>government just gives grant money away without proposals nor approvals.
>>
>>8706352
You should start doing research NOW, Im either getting my PhD in organic at Temple or Purdue, and research is probably what got me in, also do good on the GRE. But I want to teach, and go into synthesis of small molecules, natural products/drugs. If you enjoy organic synthesis, what allot of us do is create reagents, i.e. hypervalent iodine reagents that can make functional groups/pharmokenetic motifs, or reaction methods to make said transformations. The idea is that the reaction or reagent can be used to make biologically active molecules, and what not. I also know organometalic chemists synthesize ligands for catalysts and produce catalysts for all types of reactions. Physical chemistry is a huge field, and analytical chemistry kinda blends into gen chem and inorganic.
>>
>>8706352
Sorry, im pretty drunk, but to get funding, it needs application typiccaly
>>
>>8706352
if you are really bored, i suggest doing undergraduate research. it will help you realize how much cool shit you can do with chemistry and then you can decide if you want to go to grad school for it.

>pursuing chemistry as an amateur
I dont know of or have heard of anyone doing this where it didnt result in injury. playing with chemicals outside of a lab environment which, as you knows costs a lot of money, is dangerous.
>>
>>8706608
People doing total synthesis write proposals and still earn funding... go find your favorite total synthesis from last year, go to the acknowledgements section of the paper, and it will tell you how exactly the work was funded. If you don't know how science funding works, please don't post as if you're an authority on the subject.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.