[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Faggy question, /sci/: Any other STEM majors out there who feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1149.jpg (73KB, 736x627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1149.jpg
73KB, 736x627px
Faggy question, /sci/:

Any other STEM majors out there who feel like they're losing their sense of humor the more they study science?

Making people laugh used to come really easily to me, but after three years of school, my comic wit has pretty much dried up completely. And I generally feel a lot more... Spock-like.

I notice there are a lot of aspie kids on /sci/ who don't pick up on sarcasm and can't tell when they're being trolled- more than on any other board. Wondering if there's a correlation.
>>
Well yeah obviously learning science makes you more autistic/social Caterpillar i mean how does that not make perfect sense.

I totally get it. You dont want your pleb friends to find you uninteresting but you realize you have to make sacrifices if you want to learn science, like becoming autismo overnight.
>>
>>8699892
You see that happen with programmers alot.
Especially gloom. He is completely silent unless you try and talk to him....

The trouble with understanding is that the more the science is engineered the less funny it gets...just like the way the more maths is scienced the less funny it gets.
However. Philosophers, comedians and artists will always chuckle cause their imperfections...
make their own problems to laugh at.
>>
I don't think it's you anon. I think it's society as a whole has changed.

Just look at /pol/ and Trump. Nobody can tell if the things they are saying are serious, or just a joke/hyperbole. This was a big problem when Trump was campaigning because he said some crazy stuff and nobody knew if he Trump meant it literally. Then there are those on /pol/ who are ironically racist who are cheered on by actual racists. Society have changed so irony and double entendres are our way of saying anything we want with out actually meaning it.

There was also a study done on sarcasm over the internet. They concluded it is impossible for anybody to tell sarcasm from written text unless there's some clue like a smiley face next to it. People will just assume it's sarcasm if they disagree with it and assume it's serious if they do agree.
>>
>>8699900
I do miss my pleb friends.

;_;
>>
>>8699892
No, I'm practicing field biology, It's pretty social
>>
>>8699911
That's why you laugh at everything, not nothing you absolute plebbitor.
>>
>>8699892
>losing their sense of humor
So help me understand.
You're complaining because you're no longer a joke, a joker, a jester and a fool?
Merely because most people laugh at stupid, illogical, blatant lies and insults, this doesn't mean the masses do anything but babble nonsense. They're the worthless people who have nothing of consequence to say.

> don't pick up on sarcasm
I am brilliant and I can't tell when someone sows confusion by not explicitly writing "(Sarcastically,) ...," or they're merely retards who can't communicate clearly, plainly, sensibly and understandably.
>>
>>8699998

How long have you been on science, anon?
>>
>>8699998
the honest to god truth i've learned over the years is that people like you aren't even the worst. you just keep them away from most of the team and give them a few peoples work and off they go like a wind up toy.

you do need to complement them and greet them occasionally or they'll get grumpy.

but fuck those fuckers that wont leave you alone and try to weasel their way into whatever they can. I hate those fuckers
>>
>>8699892
Nah.

If anything I've found that I'm really happy doing what I'm doing, which usually puts me in a mood receptive to all kinds of humor. I used to not really be so keen on joking or silly behavior back during the Dark Times when I was doing Humanities and hated everything. Back then, any sort of joke sent my way was registered as a sign of retardation because I had such a bleak outlook.

For STEM majors in general, I guess there is the stereotype of these kinds of people being somewhat oblivious in social situations...but I haven't really observed that to be the norm.
>>
>>8699902

I've taken a few programming courses, and found them pretty depressing. Not because of the material itself, but because it got me thinking about the algorithms that determine my behavior.

if (needtopoop()==1){
find(phone);
goto(bathroom);
pants= 0;
if (spidersUnderToiletSeat<0){
KILLITKILLITKILLIT();
}
sitDown();
browse(/sci/);
}
>>
>>8699892
Nope that's the autism kicking in
>>
>>8700087
>if (spidersUnderToiletSeat<0){

Oh god my debugger is bugged.
>>
>>8699892
Probably because youre spending much more time studying and learning than having competitive social interaction. If you dont use it, you lose it.
Its not like you can never be funny again, you probably have a naturally quick wit and it will come back the more you socialize.
>>
>>8700100
Maybe if you had let some of the spiders live, you wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>8700315
This. The more I wrap myself up in math the more aspie I am in social interactions. If I take long breaks I start becoming more social but I also feel like I dropped IQ points. I wish I can balance both.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.