[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What note taking strategies do you have? My main question for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Notes[1].jpg (238KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Notes[1].jpg
238KB, 1600x1200px
What note taking strategies do you have?

My main question for math is, should you have homework and notes in the same notebook?
>>
>>8698399
I keep notes and personal exercises in the notebook. Everything homework or generally assignment related I do on a whiteboard then LaTeX it up when done.
>>
I sorely need tips on keeping up with the lecturer and making notes that are 1) useful; 2) legible; and 3) malleable.

I'm terrible at making lists, determining whether the lecturer is switching topics, and generally organizing my notes. I've tried Cornell. It just comes out as a dense mess without any sort of system, either in using shorthand symbols or in using available space.

It doesn't help that my handwriting is garbage and that I often need to rewrite what I've written because I'll write some garbage sentences in-the-moment to summarize the information because I can't quite think of a better way to phrase it. It's gotten to the point where I don't take notes anymore because I don't even bother.
>>
One notebook per course for lecture notes. I write with a colour other than blue and later go through the material and add notes in blue ballpen if anything is unclear.

I use seperate notebooks for exercises and loose thoughts.

>>8698538
Try to structure your notes into definitions, lemmas, theorems and remarks. If you look out for these things during lectures you should be able to avoid trying to write everything the lecturer says down.
>>
Learn how to outline you fucking philistines. Say Prof. starts babbling on about some shit:

I. Sound emanating from prof's mouth.
A. Words They Gesture When Saying
1. Some thoughts
B. Whoa that changed gears quickly.
2. Some thoughts
a. Might be on test
II. Holy shit! Something is now written on the board.
>>
>>8698579

I. Professor seems to indicate that "blargh" will be the to;ic today.
A. Something about blargh 1
B. Something about blargh 2
C. Something about blargh 3
1. This blargh is particular important
2. In fact this blargh is critically important
3. Let's talk about this blargh forever.
4. <you quickly realize that the bulk of your notes is indented onto this blargh>
II. But what about grrgrrl?
1. This tangent seems to be going on forever.
A/C. BACK TO BLARGH 3
>>
>>8698399
Try remembering things by associating mental pictures with them. If you can, make up a story for the pictures.

It totally works, and extremely well. You'll remember stuff for sometimes years.
>>
>>8698399
In my frosh/sophomore years i just copied down 100% of what the professor wrote on the board

by my junior/senior year i had finally figured out that you can actually open the textbook, and there's a ton of information inside (who knew?). so most notes i took were just key equations, or nuances of definitions. the only things i still copied verbatim were example problems worked by the professor.

now grad classes i only take notes to keep myself awake in class. so my notes are really useless now, there will just be random bursts of intricate transcripts that started 50 minutes into the lecture
>>
just hide a gopro on your fedora and snooze through the class
>>
File: 1482607454221.jpg (53KB, 792x558px) Image search: [Google]
1482607454221.jpg
53KB, 792x558px
>>8698399
>taking notes
>>
>>8698399
Got my surface pro for writing shit down should be much more organized now
>>
>>8698399
this is why not everyone is suitable for university
>>
>>8698894
I have a an old surface pro. Haven't used it at all. How useful can it be?
>>
>>8698399
I write down almost exclusively what the professor writes down. I'll work shit out if I feel like it during the lecture. If he/she has slides or something, I listen and consult the inevitably posted slides if need be or textbook.
>>
>>8698857

Man I'm the same. I'll take notes on semi-important things but I'll never look back at my notes. I just commit to memory the important stuff. If you're reliant on notes then you're probably not grasping the concept and logic behind whatever it is you're studying, because you should be able to take that logic and apply it to a multitude of situations rather than the professor's specific examples.
>>
>>8698399
I dont take notes i just listen to the lecture and do any practice problems prof puts on the board
>>
>>8698894
>>8699080
BUMP
>>
>>8702510
Pretty useful for taking notes I guess, you may not like the glass surface for resting

Try it in best buy
>>
I only write down proofs, diagrams, definitions, and formulas
Maybe some explanations or observations that I don't find self-evident but not often.

I use a separate notebook for doing homework and maybe problems posed in class
>>
>>8698399
you should just do a lot of problems, something like 3000 problems is what it takes to master a topic permanently and store it into long term memory, so you don't become one of those exam brainlets who forgets everything over summer break.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.