[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graduate School in a nutshell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

>sees people around me graduate with a degree in computer science
>going to attend another 6+ years of school
>high paying job not guaranteed
>friends with comp sci and engineering degrees land jobs with high five figure salaries
>still broke as hell and working twice as hard
>only that that keeps you going is the fact that you'll have twice the job satisfaction once you get the research position at the college of your dreams
>would much rather do that than grind away your days at some software company that will probably replace you with some h1b1 kid from India
>>
>>8696261

>Put away my pride and got a good blue-collar job right out of highschool.

>Never have money problems. Can actually live my life instead of slaving away like you.

You sound miserable. You were lied to anon.
>>
>>8696283
I live for the work that I do. There's more to life than money. I've never had much money so it's not like I'll be missing it.
>>
>>8696297
yup, as a paleontologist in the making I may be broke as hell for much of my life but nothing short of working for NASA is better than studying dinosaur bones and shit
>>
>>8696261
i couldn't get a job in the industry with my engineering bachelors, but got into a phd program fairly easily.

big regret. the pay is a third of what i would be making at this point, and i'm expected to work harder than i would in the industry. i have also developed an intense dislike for academia due to the people that are in it.
>>
>>8696261
Yeah, you don't go to grad school for money.

You go to grad school because you're obsessed about a topic and/or -really- want your name attached to results.
>>
>>8696361
you go to grad school for a masters for money if you are an engineer or business man because you'll need it after like 7-10 years to advance in your job
>>
The point of graduate school is not to secure a higher salary. People do things for reasons other than making money.
>>
I was a well paid software engineer, and decided to go back to school for a PhD.

Software became a mind numbing job. The initial sprint of building out a system can be quite interesting and fun, but the bullshit begins to pile up very quick. The "real life" factors, like managing a team, dealing with managers, managing expectations becomes your job, and you end up doing barely any programming.
>>
>>8696283
>work a good paying blue collar job right out of high school.
>im unskilled labor, so getting paid $1780 a week is pretty fucking nice.
>quit eventually
>could of stayed and worked my way up the ladder
>would of had a job in my 30s that pays 6 figures for 6 months of work
>tired of slaving away for 12-16 hours a day. want a career that advances humanity and age my body at 4x the normal rate
>eventually work my way into grad school just so i can work 12-16 days for poverty wages on the hope that i'll work in a good lab one day.
>chances are ill be doing fucking grunt work like streaking agar plates for poverty wage when im 30.

fucking hate life.
>>
>>8698435
Jesus fucking Christ what job were you working that pays like that for only 6 months out of the year

I'm boutta drop out of grad for that shit lol
>>
>get that research position of your dreams

This is how I know you aren't a grad student. Faculty positions are incredibly competitive and extremely rare. You are better off just chasing after your plan B unless and opportunity at a uni arises.

>friends all in engineering already getting paid well
True it hurts, but they do boring shit while I do the most baller research ever.
>>
>>8698493
it was a fishing job in the bering sea. Good pay, but you work 7 days a week, 12-16 hour days with back breaking work in one of the roughest seas our little blue ball has. On top of that, during offloading periods, you work 12-16 hour shifts every 5 hours so instead of being say 12am- 12pm, your shift repeats, start at a new time for about 2-3 days.

So yeah good money but you have to be ok with living at sea and doing nothing but work for a good portion out of the year.

The captain of the ship I most frequently worked on was a jeffery dean Morgan lookalike. He would work 6 months for $200,000, then spend the next 6 months on a beach somewhere tropical in a drunken sex crazed stupor until he was broke or his off season was up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.