[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interview weekends for grad schools are wrapping up. How did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1486947037223.jpg (148KB, 1231x1168px) Image search: [Google]
1486947037223.jpg
148KB, 1231x1168px
Interview weekends for grad schools are wrapping up. How did you guys do? Any interesting stories?

I was getting rejected from every interview due to being a total sperg, and was ready to give up hope, but then on the last weekend one of the current students got really drunk at the lunch event and that took all the attention off my incompetence, leading to an acceptance. Any other funny stories? Did you guys manage to do OK?
>>
Pff, he needs to be interviewed.
>>
>>8691956
That's standard practice, at least in biology. I know you keyboard """""scientists""""" don't spend a lot of time socializing but teamwork is an important part of working in a lab, so they need to make sure people can communicate effectively and not act like egotistical, narcissistic douchebags.
>>
Failed them all without a doubt. I may be in the top 10% of my class, but grad schools worth a damn only take in the best 1%.

At least I have a cushy desk job at an engineering firm lined up.
>>
>>8691971
Maybe you can try again in two to three years. I don't know about engineering but in bio they are moving toward favoring people who worked in industry for a few years after undergrad.
>>
>>8691992

Oh no, I got a BS in physics. This engineering firm is plan D. No way in hell will waiting get me in.

Either way, I think I'm okay with it. I am burnt the fuck out and I don't think I could stomach it anyway.
>>
>>8691947
Reading this thread I'm quite happy I was accepted by the very first school I applied to (top 5 school, too).
I'm not an exceptional student either.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 135x121px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 135x121px
>he wants a PhD where you need to interview to get a spot in the program
>>
>>8692318
Do they not interview people in math and physics?

In any case, it was a lot of fun. They gave us free food and booze, though I didn't drink on the advice of a friend.
>>
>>8692276
Then what made you special enough to get accepted?
>>
>>8692331
Most elite places they accept you and fly you out to booze you up and woo you to join their program, not interview and then get a spot.
>>
>>8692340
That's not true in biology. They said we were basically in, and said like 90% of the invited persons would get in, but they still interviewed to weed out the seriously antisocial people. These were top twenty or top ten programs, too.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.