[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just finished my BSc in physics and started my MSc, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1451742608175.jpg (23KB, 385x386px) Image search: [Google]
1451742608175.jpg
23KB, 385x386px
So I just finished my BSc in physics and started my MSc, but I'm honestly finding graduate physics to simply be too hard. I failed two exams last semester and got a D on the other 2. I've always found math to be easier than physics so I'm considering switching to applied maths and eventually get into mathematical finance.

Is this retarded?
>>
>>8691584
yes it is retarded, you aren't studying hard enough
you most likely spend too much time on this site absorbing memes

nice blog, nice meme picture
>>
>>8691648
I think my biggest time sink is partying and being hungover actually
>>
>>8691685
is it easy to meet chicks in grad school
>>
>>8691694
I never hang out with people from my course. All my friends are from (the regional equivalent of) a frat. I think there's like 4 butt-ugly girls in graduate physics at my uni. It's so sad.

So my answer is, in general, no.
>>
bamp
>>
>>8691701
how do you meet girls then
>>
>>8692054
I am not him but he said he is friends with people from the equivilent of a frat, so logically he must tag along with them to meet girls.
>>
>>8692054
frat parties and friends of friends
also if there are bigger student parties (i.e. not exclusive to my frat) we'll secure some tables with us guys from the fra and if I see a hot girl I'll go talk to her, which is made so much easier by the social proofing of being there with a group

but anyways can we get back to the topic at hand, am I mistaken for thinking that applied math is easier than physics? I always did better in my math classes but yeah idk
>>
>>8692212
I'm a math major, so I could help you
But I won't.
>>
>>8691584

Grad school is hard, there's little grade inflation. Most students are struggling right along side with you. You'll also start getting imposter syndrome.

If you truly enjoy the field and you're being paid for your grad program, stick with it. Switch over if they tell you that it's time to leave.
>>
>>8692285
why not?
>>
>>8692295
because you're normie chad scum and a brainlet
>>
>>8691685
There's your problem. Binge drinking kills your brainpower. I'd know, I used to binge drink more frequently. Now I only binge very infrequently and my performance has improved. You should be studying most of your time.
>>
>>8692319
wew lad

>>8692324
I did this one semester where I studied like 70+ hours a week with and went out to party maybe like 3 times that semester and not only was I massively unhappy, I also got worse grades than I do now that I have a more balanced life.
>>
>>8692353
>I did this one semester where I studied like 70+ hours a week with and went out to party maybe like 3 times that semester and not only was I massively unhappy, I also got worse grades than I do now that I have a more balanced life.
OK, that's some useful information, but have you considered that maybe you're at a sub-optimal equilibrium right now? Basically, your maximum efficiency when partying more frequently is higher than your efficiency when partying less frequently, but you could improve your maximal efficiency when partying less frequently to a point where it surpasses your maximal efficiency when partying more frequently by making adjustments? Because I can pretty much guarantee that your maximum efficiency when partying is not your true maximum efficiency.
>>
>>8692401
>have you considered that maybe you're at a sub-optimal equilibrium right now?
yeah I know I am, but my schedule is still pretty good right now (50-60 hours of quality work a week and 1-2 nights out a week) so I doubt the difference between my current schedule and the "ideal" schedule is big enough to warrant massive changes in my performance. In other words, I'm sure I would still feel that physics is too hard even if I reached an optimal equilibrium of work and play.
>>
>>8692353
You studied 70 hours a week and got worse grades than two fails and a d?

Yeah, I agree then - you're not cut out for physics. Keep in mind anyone can do a bs in any field, but starting with graduate courses, some may reach an abstraction ceiling that can't be broken. I would say maths is more prone to abstraction ceilings than physics, imo. Applied math is also literally the same thing as physics.

If it's the case that you're mistaken, my advice is to stop hanging out with frat boys and start mingling with kids in your program. Drinking every weekend is not a luxury someone who is attempting a serious course of study has. Your friends are not your intellectual counterparts and your conversations with them are most likely meaningless.They aren't even really your friends probably. Drinking with someone doesn't make them your friend.
>>
>>8692417
Don't you think that the extra effort of trying your hardest anyways might be less painful than the nagging feeling of 'what if' that will haunt you if you give up?
>>
>>8691584
>Grad school is hard

>>8691685
>I spend a lot of time partying and being hungover.

I hate you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.