[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the P vs. NP problem solvable? It seems like philosophical,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1484213234740.jpg (63KB, 539x530px) Image search: [Google]
1484213234740.jpg
63KB, 539x530px
Is the P vs. NP problem solvable? It seems like philosophical, abstract bullshit to me.
>>
>>8691249
maybe

but it would make a pretty big splash if somebody somehow proved that it was undecidable
>>
We don't know.
>>
I solved it years ago and am currently occupied trying to solve the P vs. BQP problem.
>>
>>8691249
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is P = NP Difficult Hahahaha Nigga Just Set N = 1 Hahahahaha Like Nigga Where's My Fields Medal Haha
>>
If you think it's philosophical bullshit, then you don't even know the definition of N and NP. Because if you knew, it would just be another mathematical claim and not philosophical bullshit to you.
This raises the question why you express your opinion withiut knowing the constituents of it.
>>
>>8691249
Im tired of this fucking shit god fucking damnit.
A Turing machine is a theoretical device composed of an infinite tape with symbols, and a read/write arm. The machine starts in a state and tape cell, reads the symbol, and then acts acording to its state table, which means it can move its tape and change states. Given a certain input and state, the machine can halt. This usually means the problem is solved, and as you probably know, many problems do not halt on certain inputs. This is a simple model of computation which serves as an aide when studying complexity

Problems, when solved, have a certain complexity. There are several measures of complexity. P is a complexity class that comprises those problems that take a polinomial of time of the size of the input to be solved (this doesnt mean that the polynomial has to be small. If it takes n^300000 (n:size of input) steps for a Turing machine to solve it, its still on P)

Now we can generalize this Turing machine. What if we had a device that, given an input and state, act in more than one way, at the same time, for example, if there is a 1, and you are at state a, the machine could then write 0, state b, and 1, state c, and continue processing those two options at the same time? Such a device is called a non-deterministic Turing machine. We can also stabilish the complexity class NP: those problems that take polynomial time to solve in that device (when using non deterministic Turing machines, we can say that the machine always finds the shortest combination of states and symbols that solves the problem, of all the possibilities). An example is the SAT problem (the combination of boolean variables that make a boolean formula true). If we simply try every combination of symbols at once, then the problem is solved in polynomial time. NP is a superset of P.

Intuitively, we can see that P and NP are different, but so far it hasnt been disproven that NP doesnt just contain P, it IS P. That's the P-NP problem.
>>
>>8691316
What's this problem? >>8691280
>>
>>8691323
I dont know enough about quantum computing to give you an answer, sorry
>>
My prof, when talking about P-NP, said it is widely believed to be undecidable in any conventional axiomatics. That got the autistic dude of the class really fired up and he proceeded to draw some Venn diagrams in his notes for the rest of the lecture.
>>
>>8691294
You realize that in a single 4chan post, you've revolutionized our understanding of complexity?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.