[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is biotechnology a dead end or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1487328096866.png (92KB, 1914x751px) Image search: [Google]
1487328096866.png
92KB, 1914x751px
I'm 1.5/3 years into the course and what I've studied is linear algebra, calculus, biochemistry, General and organic chemistry, kinetics and process modelling and energy and resources. In addition to this I've worked in the lab the past 2 semesters to produce ethanol and organic acids from fungi.

Now there's more stuff I'm going to do but still I'm unsure if I should drop our or not. People are telling me that its all a joke. What do you think?
>>
>>8681741
lmao, it's all a ruse, go innawoods for a few months and understand how bamboozled you've been.
>>
I'm into my first master year of biochemistry and i'm learning about x-ray cristallography, drug design, plant interactions, the plant cell, etc etc.
It gets way more focussed down the line.
You just need these basics before you can understand the specific concepts like making synthetic DNA or how system biology works.
>>
>>8681747
I was just thinking about the job opportunities. I'm not getting cornered into a newfag field am I?
>>
>>8681751
Biotech is booming dude what.
Green/white/red biotech industries are alive and well.
You've got computational methods that are going to be intertwined heavily with classic bio technologies and then the new methods being discovered all the time. Look up CRISPR/CAS9, it might be the holy grail of gene editing, but one should remain skeptical.
We're going to be more relevant then ever. Like, how are you doubtful when we're in the fields that are: studying consciousness, studying ageing (implications to immortality), studying transgenetics (implications to transhumanism), studying plants and their interactions with environment (implications in ending world hunger) and literally every disease (human and animal health)
It can be a very worthwhile thing to persue if you find the right angle in research. It's not always up to you though and you have to work/fight hard for it. But that's the case with everything in life. You don't become a prominent figure in your field (unless you're born into it)
>>
>>8681741
>drop out
don't. However shit you think your job will be if you finish, it's better than working at Starbucks with all the other dropouts

-t. dropout
>>
>>8681790
So far I've only studied micro organisms, and while I know that you literally produce whatever you want with those organisms using pathways that are waiting to be discovered, is it really about all those fields you are talking about?

>>8681819
If I drop out, I'll probably be switching to something else like medicine or biomedicine.
>>
Everything to do with biology is pseudoscience
>>
i don't get the joke senpai

>see a thot
>differentiate into a plasma cell
>>
File: Cider.jpg (714KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cider.jpg
714KB, 2048x1536px
>>8681741
>I've worked in the lab the past 2 semesters to produce ethanol and organic acids from fungi

Big deal, I did that on my uncle's apple farm and it only took me 5 weeks (one of the batches spoiled).
>>
>>8682162
Did you produce it from newspapers pretreated by ammonia? Did you write a 40 page report?
>>
>>8681847
Where are you studying?
Biotech is really promising but desu your courses to far seem to be lacking.
>>
>>8682344
Denmark
>>
>>8682335
no, clearly he'd rather do something that actually has applications.
>>
>>8681741
Anon YOU are biotechnology, literally all living things are biological forms of technology.

Your eye is a camera
Your nose is a chemical detector
Your brain is a computer
Your DNA is a memory storage device and holds all of your preplanned software
Your stomach is an engine
>>
>>8682357
Yeah like getting drunk. Bravo.
>>
>>8682369
Thank you black science man.
>>
>>8682371
It's not just about getting drunk. It's about drunk dialling your brother and having a long argument about the merits of turbo vs supercharging, it's about blacking out, naked on the back porch and it's about dealing with a 2 day hangover because that dessert wine yeast you used was never intended to produce a beverage that's consumed by the half-gallon.
>>
>>8681741
Drop and go study medicine or pharmacy or some other shit
they are alot more stable income wise and if you still have a interest in contributing to science you will find a way to do it
>>
>>8681790
it's not 1955 where your knowledge of a field gets
you bitches and money you gotta get an income
and then go do what ever you want to do
and biotech is booming i can confirm that
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.