[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worst programming you've seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Stupid.png (16KB, 421x511px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid.png
16KB, 421x511px
I also inherited a database design that broke the first of Codd's rules.

What's your worst experience?
>>
>>8679885
They didn't declare the variables at the start of the program
>>
This one time I went on 4chan and some idiot made a thread about programming on a board without code tags.

In school and uni I was always the designated programmer so I didn't have to deal with other people's code, but when I started working I got to try and make sense of a couple ten thousand lines of uncommented code with no discernable code style. Mix of tabs and spaces for alignment (fun in Python!), spaces sometimes missing where they should be (after commas etc) and sometimes too many spaces where they aren't necessary.
>>
>>8679885
There was an actual brain damaged guy in a MATLAB class I took a few terms ago. Huge surgical scar from the nape of his neck to the top of his head.
One day, he asks me to help him debug his assignment, so I take a look at it... and it wasn't even code. I mean, there were elements of code- like a couple of function names thrown in here and there. But it was something completely nonsensical like:

7X =answer
linspace
fprintf('answer')
[a:3:h]
X=2;

Honestly, that was the most completely speechless I've ever been. I think I finally ended up just saying that I didn't know what was wrong with it and that he should ask the instructor.

This was like 3/4 of the way through the term, by the way. And he stuck it out to the end. I don't know why nobody told him to drop out.
>>
>>8679885
i had a lab partner in a project based C class a while back. would write "helper functions" for a single line of code.

he also didn't understand formal logic very well
>>
>>8679960
if he had brain damage, then chances are he had a disability accommodation. ayy my university, of someone has autism or ADHD (along with other disabilities) then they can get due dates pushed back and they can turn things in after the term ends. also there is a system where students with an A average can get paid to share their notes as a PDF with retarded kids
>>
>>8679885
Pretty much everything in JavaScript is terrible. I'm sure there are a few programmers out there who are able to deal with JavaScript's design flaws in a reasonable manner but most of it is pure excrement.
>>
>>8679885
Dealing with people who didn't know that multiplication and division were a thing.
>>
>>8679960
>I don't know why nobody told him to drop out
You can ask that question to yourself though

Also can that be a temporary brainfart situation that happens from time to time?
>>
>>8679974
I'm all for helping people succeed where they can, but this guy was trying to become an engineer. Engineering jokes aside, there are potentially actual human lives depending on his ability to write a MATLAB script, and he went through almost that entire term without even learning to declare variables before using them.
>>
>>8679885
Looking at fellow mathnerds code that complain coding is for code monkeys.

They are the retards
>>
>>8680008
Everyone studying engineering is retarded anyway so you literally have no room to talk
>>
>>8680008
i agree with you. he will probably not be able to work for most places anyway. probably will be one of the many "STEM degree not working in STEM" people humanities majors love to talk about

>>8680023
they arrogance will take you a long way in your career. ;^)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.