[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to like Math but hate Statistics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1184.png (11KB, 283x212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1184.png
11KB, 283x212px
Has anyone ever had similar ideas or feelings to the subjects?
>>
Yes.
>>
>Is it possible to like science but hate geology
Yes. Not all math is stat
>>
>>8678420
Geology isn't science
>>
is it possible to like probability but hate stats?
>>
>>8678396
It's only okay if you hate the meme version of stat (plugging and chugging). Learning the derivation of all the distributions and everything is actually some pretty intense mathematics and anyone that's really interested in math would enjoy this aspect of it.
>>
>>8678446
>Geology (from the Ancient Greek γῆ, gē, i.e. "earth" and -λoγία, -logia, i.e. "study of, discourse"[1][2]) is an earth science
k
>>
>>8678466
>dirt niggers larping
>>
>>8678396
Yes. Stats is boring.
>>
>>8678466
not disagreeing with you but
>argument from authority
>>
>>8678452

you are confusing probability and stats

also, the only worthwhile use of statistics is in statistical physics, which arguably is again a very different field than statistics which is concerned about establishing statistical tests and data analysis
>>
>>8678396
Yes if you are a babby who doesn't know the higher echelons of math.
Probability theory has its roots in measure theory and distributions which are central to many applications in variational PDE formulations (which are the way they are solved today, specially by using FEM) and probably many more I don't even know about because I'm not a mathfag just an engineer who knows his shit.
>>
>>8679037
Arguing from authority is perfectly acceptable when the question is about a definition.
>>
>>8679171

Don't confuse probability theory and statistics. Yes, probability theory leads to god tier stuff like SDEs, but proper statistics is just for brainlets.
>>
Not if you want to get a job on Wall Street as an options trader!
You'll have to do super advanced things like using excel to find partial derivatives of the normal probability density function. Sometimes you might even have to find a second order derivative!
>>
>>8678396
>Is it possible to like Math but hate Statistics?
Of course.

It probably is very normal to care more about certain aspects of one field and dislike others.
>>
>>8679334
sry english is not my first language so I tend to confuse some terms.
Here statistics and probability theory while not the same are informally used interchangeably.
>>
more like geololgy lol
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.