[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Telescopes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: reflector_telescopes.jpg (15KB, 250x360px) Image search: [Google]
reflector_telescopes.jpg
15KB, 250x360px
What's the best telescope for noobs that isn't expensive. Guide for price would a months rent in the States, about $1000 on average
>>
>>8675369
Did you read replies to your last thread?
>>
>>8675372
didn't have a last thread.
>>
>>8675369
I take your word as a Gentleman -it's odd, a thread with essentially the exact same question was just up.

A 2 1/2 - 3 inch refractor is what I started with, and I was very happy with it.

But you don't NEED a telescope to get started. If you have not done so, spend some naked-eye time learning your way around the sky, then with some good light gathering binoculars(magnification is not key here, big objective lenses to gather lots of light is what you want.) and see what you can see.

There is some value in learning your way around -- though especially with the drives and software you get nowadays, you can skip right t "punch a button, scope points at object." and just sightsee.

Note -- some folks will say get a reflector instead of a refractor - you can get a bigger aperture and thus more light gathering for the same money, and avoid chromatic aberration to boot. And that is hard to argue. I just have a soft-spot for a nice refractor.

What's your experience level and budget?
>>
>>8675426
experience level is I grew up and still kind of in the suburbs of NYC so there is almost nothing in the sky. I live about 2 hours away now so I see more, but I plan on moving some where more rural in the next couple of years.

As for budget, no more than $500 I guess. I don't want crap, but I don't have the means to go and spend much more than that right now.
>>
Craigslist.

https://albany.craigslist.org/for/5993530825.html

Get this one. Since you said that you live in new york, it shouldn't be too far away. I have the Orion XT10, but mine isn't computerized.
>>
>>8675492
It's about 3 hours away I think, maybe a bit more. Thanks for the find.
>>
>>8675492
>>8675497
when buying on craigslist make sure to offer half their asking price as your initial offer.
>>
>>8675369
I would recommend starting off with a pair of binoculars
>>
>>8675515
ya I know. My buddy and I done tons of ebay/craiglist stuff for years now so we know about that stuff.
>>
>>8675369
>A 2 1/2 - 3 inch refractor is what I started with, and I was very happy with it.

Lol no

Dobsonian, More Aperture for less $

Start off with a 6" or below, that way if you want to get more serious and get into Astrophotography just buy a ring clamp and Equatorial Mount
>>
>>8675369
>>8675641
A 6" Inch dob will go for around 400USD, no fuss setup, and can be transported easily
>>
>>8675528
have a couple pairs of those. but I want more
>>
File: Saturn.jpg (715KB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Saturn.jpg
715KB, 6000x4000px
>>8675677
This is what you will see through an 8'' Dobsonian, not that impressive at first but better then the glowing orb you would otherwise see through an entry level reflector
>>
Thinking about getting a pair of binoculars, would 10x50 be good?
>>
>>8675919
Also any good guides? I was thinking I should get a planisphere as well.
>>
>>8675696
Still is nice, though
>>
>>8675919
I have one such and yes, it is good. You can see lots of details on the Moon with that.

Also remember that Galileo had a far smaller telescope when he discovered the Galileian moons around Jupiter

>>8675924
I have a planishpere, fun stuff.

Follow some astronomy sites, they put up notices what is worth seeing for the present time of year. Just now Orion is quite viewable.
>>
>>8675369
Look up a local Astronomy Club, guaranteed one will exist nearby.
Show up to a club function, usually they set up in
parks school parking lots.
Look at the different scopes, talk to the people, find out what works best for you.
Sometimes club members sell unused stuff, might get a good deal.
Look up local classes on telescope construction, leard to build a basic scope yourself.
Grew up in San Francisco, had/have a group called the Sidewalk Astronomers, they offered a class at the California Academy of Sciences, on telescope construction.
Class was taught by John Dobson, inventor of the Dobsonian Telescope, guy is a crazy Buddhist Monk, built a 16" scope, hard to grind the lens myself, was pretty fun.
Later I pulled the mirror from the Sonotube it was in an made a Truss Tube Telescope to make it more portable.

Mr Dobsons mantra was, while grinding the mirror:

"Eat Well, Sleep Well and Work Like Hell"
>>
>>8678464
Good points.

Also, these clubs are more visible in media when there is a special event like an eclipse.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.