[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Elon Musk so retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 17

File: Hyperloop-One-Event-12[1].jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperloop-One-Event-12[1].jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk
>>
>>8674469
Megalomaniac.
>>
>>8674469
> be me
> muslim mudlsime
> just arrive to americuck and looking for something to bomb
> see giant pressurized american gas tube full of innocnets
> allahwillsit.cp
> throw a lethal 1 metric kg brick at it
> boom.govaid
> entire thing blows up hundreds killed
> falcon 9 v2
> NASA keks
>>
>>8674505
You could do the same thing to a bus or a train

Retarded argument, back to >>>/reddit/ you go
>>
If it isn't doable, then the project will die before it ever gets built.
>>
>>8674510
> implying a bus or train is anywhere near as fragile as the memeloop which is literally a pressurized bomb only held together by thin metal walls

Ok
>>
>>8674524
Yes, yes it is.

Literally anyone can strap a bomb under their shirt and hop on a train or a bus full of 60 people
>>
>>8674529
It's far harder getting through security with that compared to driving out near the 400 miles of unprotected loop with a hand gun and shooting it.
HSR would be far cheaper and safer than the memeloop
>>
its pretty obvious musk wants this for his mars city, not really for earth, same as his "boring company". too bad mars city will never happen.
>>
also that guy has the most annyoing way to talk i heard in a long time.
>>
>>8674543
Literally no different to going to an exposed train track and planting something or shooting at a train

Just admit there is no difference, bud
>>
>>8674580

except for 300thousand tons of air rushing into a vaccuum from anyone shooting a rifle at it.
>>
>>8674469
>linking a thundercuck video

Yeah, no, you're a faggot.
>>
>>8674469
He seems like a very high functioning autist; maybe even an idiot savant.
>>
>>8674505
You're severely sick and need help: serious medication.
Shouldn't you be babbling with all the retards on fakebook or with the twits on twitter?
>>
>>8674529
Yes but the train or bus is far cheaper than the hyperloop.
>>
>>8674469
I'm sure there is more to this than what is presented.
>>
>>8674469
Musk isn't a scientist. He's an ideas guy with enough money and influence to fund and gain funding for his ideas.
>>
The whole video is about why a 600km hyperloop wouldnt work. A shorter one doesnt have most of these problems. There are a lot of urban areas on this globe where travelling 30km takes hours. there this technology could very well be a good alternative.
>>
>>8674657
So would not driving everywhere. If people saved the money they normally spent on a car and gasoline and invested it in a private train company or something, then there wouldn't be any insanely long commutes.
>>
>>8674614
Are you sane? I will admit my argument was a tad informal but by my means i got my point across. Theres no need for such a mindless and retarded reprimand.
>>
>>8674611
>>8674613

any arguments?
>>
>>8674684
well he doesn't worship god emperor trump therefore he is our enemy.
>>
>>8674611
>>8674613
I suppose you're also a respected scientist that published in nature?
>>
>>8674684
T00t just sells the feeling of winning arguments to unpleasant idiots. Mostly, he just attacks stuff that's so obviously absurd that it doesn't really need any serious refutation so he's not in danger of embarassing himself, but when he tries to tackle anything harder, he mostly just does handwaving and napkin math (with relevance supported only by more handwaving).

Nobody reasonable is going to watch him beat around the bush and repeat himself for over half an hour, pedantically making points that would fit on one page of text that could be read in a minute or two, just to respond to the kind of garbage who thinks posting one of his videos then being smug is a substitute for expressing and supporting a position.

So when you, an incredibly unbearable person to interact with, post a video like this and normal people refuse to engage with this time-wasting garbage, you get to go away telling yourself that you "won an argument" and are even more sure that you are right. Behaving like this doesn't make any sense to anyone else, but there's something deeply wrong with you that makes it seem like perfectly reasonable, even laudable behavior in your own mind.
>>
>>8674694
He got his criticisms of hyperloop published in Nature? Link please.
>>
>>8674469
>Why is Elon Musk so retarded?

He is extraordinarily clever at getting governments to hand hi free money, in exchange for attempting to do something the government wishes could be done. My beef with him is that he does not seem to care to much if he actually DOES what he is taking money to do.

But the retards there are the governments, not Musk.
>>
>>8674657
>There are a lot of urban areas on this globe where travelling 30km takes hours.

But that is not due to limitations in the technology that hold speed down to 15 km per hour.
>>
>>8674743
well, obviously hyperloops are in concurrence with high speed trains. i wouldnt necessarily say they are definetely going to lose that battle.
>>
>>8674580
you are a troll
>>
>>8674516

just like the super hadron collider but they still managed to waste billions before giving up
>>
>>8674469
I always wince when i hear "centrifugal force"
>>
>>8674717
>So when you, an incredibly unbearable person to interact with

stop projecting
>>
>>8675070

why? (i dont sciene)
>>
>>8675096
centrifugal force isn't real.

it's a meme that troll scientists tell normies to make them look stupid in front of other scientists.

true story.
>>
>>8675070
>>8675098
Fuck off retard. It's perfectly acceptable to refer to fictitious forces when you work with a non.inertial frame of reference.
You must literally be a ledditor if you think you're hot shit just because you know centrifugal force is fictitious.
>>
>>8674469
Why does Thunderfoot have such a hate boner for elon musk anyway?
I swear this guy has made more than a dozen videos bitching about musks companies for one reason or another in just the last year.
>>
>>8675102
>It's perfectly acceptable to refer to fictitious forces

oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

How can you you even rely on your calculations if you are using fictitious forces to describe the system?
>>
>>8674613
He is still whining about solar roadways years after anybody still cared about that idea.
>>
>>8674510
>shoot .308 at train
>maybe 1 person gets hit with shrapenel
>he is treated for minor wound
>shoot .308 at bus
>hit maybe one person directly, moving bus is hard shot
>get arrested for shooting at people near urbanized bus route

Or

>shoot .308 at any part of the hyperloop
>every person in the loop is violently killed at the speed of sound
>entire loop is compromised and is out of commission
>all done from 1.5km away in a forest
>>
>>8675108
a bullet hole is not big enough to let air in the quantities in that are needed to cause a catastrophe that you are describing.
>>
>>8675105
He's a Marxist.
>>
>>8675098

sorry im stupid, what do you mean it isnt real?
>>
>>8675190
it doesn't exist
>>
>>8675197

oh, well i was asking maybe for an elaboration and not just saying the same thing. but if that all you want to do thats ok.
>>
>>8675117
Then he's an idiot one. How are we going to build space communism without people like musk?
>>
>>8675112
>what is a massive pressure gradient
>>
File: 1476235123165.png (18KB, 626x551px) Image search: [Google]
1476235123165.png
18KB, 626x551px
>this guy is the posterchild of the MRA movement
What went wrong?
>>
>>8674469
thunderf00t's analysis was debunked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx52A-v65Q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJa9tQyMXDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh0uwJoNnhc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuXH2CJC10
>>
>>8675223
can i get a basic gestalt?
>>
File: IMG_0278.jpg (359KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0278.jpg
359KB, 1920x1080px
>>8674469
I put those pipes up there. I've worked for hyperloop one for over a year. AMA
>>
>>8675227
>AMA

no thanks, bye.
>>
>>8675229
What do you do for work anon?
>>
>>8675230
absorb your tax money. brb, going to go have you buy me groceries.
>>
>>8675233
Trips don't lie

>Jelly NEET leech confirmed
>>
>>8675227
do you think it will work or turn out to be a giant bomb that kills hundreds.
>>
>>8675227
you guys hiring civils?
>>
>>8675238

im jelly? i fail to see how anon. or are you just pulling redit comebacks out of your ass?
>>
>>8675244
your life is a meme
kys my man
>>
>>8675239
Decompression is a concern, but it's not going to be what makes or breaks the success of the project. There are other engineering problems like keeping the spline straight enough and turning at high speeds that pose more problem than avoiding decompression. Political resistance is probably the biggest hurdle.
>>
>>8675247

yup , hes from redit.
>>
>>8675227

you seem like a cool person man. thanks for sharing. im being serious.
>>
>>8675252
what about the heat of the sun causing the top of the tube to heat up and bend out of shape?

what about the extension of the tube form heat?

asking because that's what the guy in the video said could go wrong.

how are you going to keep some random guy form shooting the tube and making it implode?
>>
>>8675224
>can i get a basic gestalt?
Thunderf00t can't into the square-cube law.

His argument is basically like claiming that a human-sized ant could lift Mount Everest. (when it, in fact, would be unable to stand on its own legs)
>>
>>8675240
possibly. not as many hires happening now because we are finishing one project and plan on doing small research and development type stuff from here until we build a full scale usable prototype. probably in Dubai. but hey, put in a application.

>>8675262
we are characterizing the deformation of the tube from the heat. our biggest problem is the tight tolerances needed for magnetic levitation to work at such high speed and compensating for the shrinking and growing of the tube. as far as extension of the tube from the heat we pretty much have that licked, just a matter of having the tube float along the X axis down the spline.

i dont know what we will implement to keep decompression from happening. perhaps an outer wall thats also decompressed? i figured we would just have sensors along the route that detect sudden increase of atmosphere long before it actually reached a vehicle. the sensors would either emergency stop the vehicle or partition that part of the tube so the entire thing doesnt fill with air.
>>
>>8675275
that still doesn't answer how you are going to keep terrorists form targeting the hundreds of miles of unguarded tube.

thing about planes is once they are in the air they are hard to bring down form the ground.

this thing you could incapacitate with a homemade bomb or gun you bought at a show.
>>
>>8675289
i mean, yeah, you could do that to a pipeline anywhere, oil piplines. or subways. those seem to be viable ways to transport things. why wouldnt this be?
>>
>>8675264
why wouldn't it be able to stand on it's own legs
>>
>>8675289
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>>
>>8674469
who should I believe?

>youtube faggot

or

>elon musk and an army of world class engineers

good try faggots.
>>
>>8675315
the lure to attack this and not a subway or pipeline is because subways are underground and hard to get to without attracting attention. Pipelines don't have people and are usually underground.

hyper loop is above ground, has people, has unguarded areas in the middle of nowhere, and is explosive.

maybe the hyper loop should be built under ground.
>>
>>8675326
>Pipelines don't have people and are usually underground.

nvm pipelines are above ground.

but they don't have people.
and for a terrorist it's all about the show.

You know this makes me wonder why people who protests pipelines don't just go up to one and shoot it...
>>
>>8674614
>You're severely sick and need help: serious medication.
He was posing a hypothetical scenario, dummy.
>>
>>8675326
what makes you think its above ground? it hasnt been built. its a concept. there would be some spots above ground and some below, like any other pipeline.
>>
>>8675333
well dude its made out of almost an inch of steel, you cant just shoot it with a gun. i mean you can i guess. it would be a nuisance for sure.
>>
>>8675289
>that still doesn't answer how you are going to keep terrorists form targeting the hundreds of miles of unguarded tube.
Same deal with keeping terrorists from targetting hundres of miles of unguarded road, train track, power line, or fiber connection.

Imagine the carnage a guy with a rifle shooting at people on the busy Interstate could cause, like if he waits for a tanker truck.

>this thing you could incapacitate with a homemade bomb or gun you bought at a show.
Basically, you'd just require traffic to stop until it could be repaired. You might kill one or two carloads of people if you use a bomb at the right time.

They have accounted for the catastrophic pressurization problem, you know. Don't get your information from jackasses like T00t. In order to depressurize it rapidly after maintenance and make it tolerant of small leaks, they'd have pumps connected to the outside distributed along its length, which means they'd also be able to pressurize it rapidly and evenly. Even if you sheared the thing in half, the system would emergency-stop the cars and start letting air into the rest of it, so the gust would meet more and more air pressure and lose momentum before it got terribly far.

>>8675316
>why wouldn't it be able to stand on it's own legs
Because they're too skinny and at screwy angles, with not enough muscle attached (setting aside that it would promptly die due to the scaling factors of its internal organs).
>>
>>8675345
>unguarded road, train track, power line, or fiber connection

those don't blow up and potentially kill hundreds when you shoot them.
>>
>>8674657
At 30km it doesn't make any sense to use a hyperloop. Their advantage is the speeds they can reach. To get to the speeds where you get this advantage and then stop again in 30km would be incredibly uncomfortable for passengers.
>>
>>8674614

No more jokes on this oriental dragon drawing imageboard anon!
>>
>>8675353
oh this is the oriental dragon drawing board? I'm looking for the Taiwanese lizard painting board. reddit told me to come here
>>
>>8675353
>oriental dragon drawing imageboard

heard that one before, try another one
>>
>>8675323
>Elon Musk and an army of engineers who require continued grants and gibs for their livelihood won't bullshit for funding
>>
>>8675367
were privately funded. you dont know what youre talking about at all, haha
>>
so why are we funding this?
>>
>>8674505
>hurrdurr trains aren't safe because anyone can make a giant cement wall to derail them

you're retarded fampai
>>
>>8675377
Who's "we" here? You realize Musk is a multibillionaire and he's funding it.
>>
>>8675219
The pressure gradient isn't massive. It's only about 1 atm. Bike tires are inflated to higher pressures than 1 atm.

Not to mention the mass transfer rate will be limited because of choked flow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow
>>
>>8675376
what would you say are the biggest challenges you face to complete the project?

are you at work right now?
>>
>>8675350
A Hyperloop tube wouldn't blow up just by being shot either.

As for "potentially killing hundreds", this is certainly possible in an attack on a train, maybe possible in an attack on a busy highway, likely possible in a coordinated attack on heating/energy infrastructure in winter, and probably not possible in Hyperloop with a single-point attack.

Hyperloop's top speed is around 330 m/s. Suggested passengers per car is 28, with car spacing in time no closer than 30 seconds (at least 6 or 7 km apart at all times). To kill "hundreds", you have to get eight cars.

Only cars moving toward the break are in real danger (those moving away from it are moving with the in-rushing air). At 3g braking, it would take under a dozen seconds to stop, travelling no more than 2 km.

To get eight cars, the pressurization gust would have to rush in over 40 km, against the rapidly-growing resistance of the repressurization system, with enough force to destroy a stopped car.

I think it would be very unlikely to even get three cars, with a big, powerful bomb that cuts the tube right in half. A passenger train attack would be much more deadly.
>>
>>8675386
i left early today usually do 5 12's a week. biggest challenges are keeping everything aligned within tolerance over the long distances required. everything else we can handle more or less. if it works it will be the biggest thing built this precisely by far.
>>
>>8675418
5 12 hour days?
>>
>>8675227
how do you propel the capsule in the tube?
>>
File: f7FdEdG.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
f7FdEdG.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>8675412
Muh terrorism gets my blood boiling when any major construction is discussed.
Not a proponent of hyperloop but not an opponent either.

How is the issue of energy usage & time to pull the world's largest vacuum addressed?
What happens in the event of regular breakdown/ unexpected damage and the system needs to be revacuumed?

Will it still be usable under these conditions or will such a length require a double walled vacuum for redundancy?
>>
>>8675774
They'd have a bunch of pumps along the length of it, at regular intervals.

The plan is that it wouldn't be perfectly airtight, so they'd need to run them pretty much all the time. It's also not (and can't be) a perfect vacuum.

>the issue of energy usage
The whole thing would have a solar roof over it, and batteries built in. It's supposed to be more than energy-self-sufficient.

>Will it still be usable under these conditions or will such a length require a double walled vacuum for redundancy?
False dichotomy. It won't be usable under repressurized condition, but there won't be a double wall. It'll tolerate small breaches, and large ones will mean a shutdown until repair is complete. A double wall wouldn't provide any guarantee against the kinds of things likely to breach it.
>>
I didn't realize chemists were also susceptible to know-it-all physicist syndrome.
>>
>>8675224
thunderf00t claims the acceleration would be like being shot out of a gun, the first video does the math on what the acceleration is based on the mass and frontal area and finds it to be 1.6 g.

however, this does not take into account the fact that the capsule would be moving relative to the air. IE to the capsule, the air appears to be moving at mach 2. Thunderf00t didn't take this into account either though.

I'm not so sure I like the second video and their analysis of compressible flow. Although thunderf00t doesn't seem to know much about compressible flow either.

REDDIT WARNING! Some dude on reddit points out one could stop the pod, before the pressure wave reaches it, meaning the top analysis is valid. They also point out it is nearly impossible to determine peak pressure for short distances without detailed information on the pod, but make the case that is probably survivable.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/5kyygd/what_exactly_happens_if_a_hyperloop_tube_suffers/

Someone who actually knows compressible flow needs to make a nice model and publish about it.

Now, even if this situation is fatal, with proper engineering and operation it can be made unlikely. Planes can crash into the ground, but in most cases they don't. Scenarios such as terrorism where planes get blown up, do occur, but are rare.
>>
File: compressor-hammershock.png (36KB, 619x466px) Image search: [Google]
compressor-hammershock.png
36KB, 619x466px
>>8675108
so thunderf00t supposes that this will lead to a local increase in pressure in the tube which causes the compressor to explode, which makes a big hole in the tube causing explosive repressurization.

Thunderf00t supposes that there will be a 0.1 atm air pocket in the tunnel and this will cause the compressor to explode. Such a scenarios is flat out ridiculous. However, it turns out that real jet engine compressors have withstood pressure transients of 0.2-0.3 atm without exploding. pic and link related

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/87846main_H-804.pdf
>>
faggotf00t and any queer that watches it are the absolute worst kind of cancer.
>>
If another retard makes the terrorist argument again they should be beaten up.

Terrorist attacks are incredibly rate and it's literally no different to a train or a bus.

A bus is even worse because it has fuel as is a train as it can collide with another one.
>>
Jesus Christ
Doesn't anyone ever research anything.
Hyper-Loop does not maintain a vacuum, or exist in a pressurized state, just waiting for you and your bullet.
The only portion that will have a vacuum is directly in front of and behind the travel pod
The vacuum bubble is created by the pod
Air is pulled in and passed through and behind the pod as it travels
Jesus Fucking Christ
>>
>>8674469
I could have wasted my time on this dribble but I'd rather use my time to study and work on improving myself to improve the world. The world of tomorrow isn't created by pessimists. Dreamers that dare to think beyond what exists are the ones that push our world forward. Keep your dwarf mentality to yourself. The giants are busy pushing boundaries.
>>
>>8678585
The tube is at 99 Pascals. The pod does not create a bubble of vacuum
>>
>>8676060
You have (10,000 kg x area of circular cross section of the hyperloop) of molecules rushing into a narrow tube at the speed of sound. That is the scenario in discussion. Regardless of whether or not the compressor fails, hundreds of people will die inevitably from something as trivial as a pissed off farmer with a giant eyesore running through his land.
>>
>>8678599
Yea! Lets build paper houses on the sea floor! Lets make a skyscraper out of firecrackers! Fuck the pessimists with their unemotonally charged """""dribble""""'"
>>
File: STS120LaunchHiRes-edit1.jpg (2MB, 1888x2956px) Image search: [Google]
STS120LaunchHiRes-edit1.jpg
2MB, 1888x2956px
>>8678938
Pic related, skyscraper made out of firecrackers
>>
>>8675227
>>8675239
>>8675252
>>8675262
>>8675275
>>8675289
>>8675345
>>8675350
>>8675412
>>8675774
>>8675823
intredasting, it is refreshing to see someone who accepts criticism instead of elon musk fanboys who sound like they have been brainwashed by some scientologist voodoo multi-marketing scheme whacko nonsense

>we are characterizing the deformation of the tube from the heat
What do you mean by this? Maybe you could find solutions to all these problems, but how can you do so cheaply enough that hyperloop can be made economically viable?

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/050815/elon-musks-hyperloop-economically-feasible.asp
https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/15/could-the-hyperloop-really-cost-6-billion-critics-say-no/?_r=1

Realistic estimates put it in the same ballpark as high speed rail, if not greater, this doesn't include operating costs and the cost of inevitable unforeseen problems. We can't know until we try it, but then there are many other potential investments that could make better use of what is rapidly becoming a significant proportion of surplus GDP.

hyperloop should be renamed pipedream tbqh, if Elon wants to surround himself with yes-men and pour his paypal billions into a white elephant that is his God given right as an American, but aesthete patricians such as ourselves can't really take it seriously, I will be selling TSLA once the Trump bull run is over and I won't look back
>>
>>8679028
Musk is not involved with Hyperloop One, he just had the idea.
>>
>Video has "BUSTED", "EXPOSED", "OWNED", "ROASTED" or "DESTROYED" in it's title
Might as well watch Dr. Phil and shitty reality tv shows all day you fucking inbred
>>
The thing that always gets me.
Germany developed the Transrapid maglev train.
They deemed it useless because building the tracks for it to run on was way too expensive when all this train offered was 100km/h higher topspeed over regular trains.
Now someone proposes maglev tracks that are also an enclosed tube that are also a vaccuum that also have solar panels on top.
The up-front investement for these things seems to me absolutely gigantic just to establish any sort of basic infrastructure. I don't see anyone putting this much money down for a technology that's ultimately just a faster train.
>>
>>8674469
desu i don't think a chemist has any say in whether or not a physicists and engineers effort will work out

but i don't think it's even useful anyway and won't happen.
>>
>>8680453
Hyperloop doesn't use maglev tracks
>>
>>8681307
I thought they scrapped the whole idea of "floating on air"
>>
>>8674684

I don't need one, Thundercuck refutes himself by being a known liar.
>>
>>8674694
>HURR

He has NO relevant degrees to this topic.
>>
>>8674737

He sees inspiring others and developing the technologies to be as important as achieving the things he wants to see achieved.
>>
>>8674469
I don't think he's retarded but i do think he's surrounded by Yes Men who can't offer an ounce of constructive criticism.
>>
>>8681548
I don't think that. This guy has achieved a lot. I don't think you can get where he is without a good amount of self-reflection. It's not his fault the media is treating every word he says like the words of a prophet.
>>
>>8680453
We in Germany wanted to build one, and I think it can be useful for short distance through urban areas. The planned track was supposed to connect the Munich airport with the inner city, and I think those kind of things is where also a hyperloop can make sense.
>>
File: ok2.jpg (21KB, 628x676px) Image search: [Google]
ok2.jpg
21KB, 628x676px
>>8674505
>> falcon 9 v2
>>
>>8675108
Yeah assuming the metal tube bursts like a balloon when its structural integrity is even slightly violated.
>>
File: lol.jpg (56KB, 400x290px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
56KB, 400x290px
>implying billy bob fuckwit won't shoot a hole in it the first chance he gets
>>
>>8681526
Tested at hyperloop competition
>>
how does the turbine even work when it's in a vacuum?
>>
>>8674469
why does the retard in that video talk about same shit for 30 minutes
>>
Everyone knows the sole purpose of Hyperloop is to help fund Mars. It's all that really matters
>>
>>8681668
yeah because californians are known for their gun ownership, you fucking dick inhaling faggot.
>>
>>8675219
It's expected to take on much more air through general leakage than a bullet hole could provide. That's one of the reasons they're not going for a complete vacuum.
>>
>>8680453
It all depends on the scenario. A cost-benefit analysis for Germany won't necessarily hold true for the US or the UAE. The former is a much larger land mass that benefits the economy of distance gains of a hyperloop, and the latter is fond of prestige projects.
>>
>>8682175
It's not a hard vacuum. Those are expensive to maintain. They plan on staying around 100 Pa, equivalent to roughly twice the altitude the SR-71 Blackbird flew at.
>>
>>8681554
But that's a recent thing. He's only developed the cult in the last few years.
>>
>>8675380
Wait....
Say that again....
Thats the answer!
We will cover it in a stone insulator.
Now we can all pretend to be electrons.
>>
>>8674529
Dude, it's so much easier just to shoot a bullet ANYWHERE in the 600km span of the faggotloop than to sneak on a train and blow you and everyone else up.>>8674529
>>8674529
>>
>>8674469
Just build the fucking thing underground
>>
>>8685707
That would be boring.
>>
>>8685711
But it would solve a lot of the problems all of these gay ass nerds bring up
>>
>>8674469
>When I was a little kid, I was really scared of the dark. But then I came to understand, dark just means the absence of photons in the visible weavelength -- 400 to 700 nanometers. Then I thought, well it's really silly to be afraid of a lack of photons. Then I wasn't afraid of the dark anymore after that.
He unironically repeated this story trying to show his childhood genius, not realizing that it only revealed his autism / retardation
>>
>>8685798
kek
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7FuAswPW0
>>
>>8685711
And super expensive. Digging is hard.
>>
>>8674469
Everyone called him retarded on everything he did until he succeeded.
>>
>>8674469
He's not. Where's your multi-million dollar world changing businesses you've been founding since you were in your 20s?
>>
>>8674469
>watched the first 10 minutes of vid
>every flaw he points out assumes the pipe must be "completely vacuumed"
there's technical term for this kind of people
>retarded
>>
>>8686380
He founded co founded Zip2 from his fathers money in his 30s and made 22 million after selling it. He was just one of many entrepreneurs who made money off the .com bubble, and now he uses his wealth to fund shitbrain crazy ideas like short-range cars that crash themselves, billion dollar fireworks, and a pedestrian death tunnel.
>>
>>8686445
Well that's cool, so where's yours again? Did you get in on the .com bubble and make millions too? Did you do anything after that comparable to Elon Musk? Did you for example, make the idea of a rocket that can land a reality?
>>
>>8685707
>>8685720
Earthquakes
>>
>>8686445
>short-range cars that crash themselves
I'm impressed, I've rarely seen so much misinformation condensed into one post. What's your definition of "short ranged?" Are you actually going to take one incident of an experimental self-driving system being misused not working perfectly to invalidate the whole concept of self-driving cars?
>>
>>8681544
on what topics, exactly?
>>
>>8675106
you need to if you want to actually have a functioning satellite that can orbit
>>
It's hard for me to take thunderf00t seriously because of how smug he is while making elementary mistakes. Ever since he got his work on Coulombic explosions published he's seemingly gotten more and more certain of his own peerless intellectual perfection. And then he makes this video and makes stupid errors constantly about the nature of the system and proposed solutions to its engineering issues and doesn't even respond to the fact that the white paper on this concept does lay out solutions to many of the things he cites as insurmountable problems that no one on the teams has considered.

Don;t get me wrong, this concept has a shitload of things stacked against it-it's a massive up-front cost, and concerns about terrorism or accidents or cost-effectiveness in terms of keeping such a novel and complex system running are 100% valid. But at least try to have a tiny bit of imagination when you're analyzing something like this,don't instantly assume it CAN'T work because you feel in your gut it's too hard and then search for evidence to support your idea of its inevitable failure.

On the plus side-it's perfectly possible that in 10 years, several hyperloop systems will be up and running and thunderf00t will avoid the topic at all costs. If this happens, it will be fucking hilarious.
>>
File: Train-Travel-1024x660.gif (424KB, 1024x660px) Image search: [Google]
Train-Travel-1024x660.gif
424KB, 1024x660px
>>8674469
>Replacing comfy trains with tubes

NO
>>
>>8686493
300 mile range. I want to drive between my houses in florida and maine. Thats about 5 stops for charge, at AN HOUR of charge time. Thats 5 hours of dead stop downtime compared to maybe an hour of refuling my accord over the trip. Much shorter range than ICE car. The autopilot fatality rate is 71% that of manual driving per miles traveled. Still an improvement, but they crash themselves too.
>>
File: 1352606101011.png (125KB, 388x248px) Image search: [Google]
1352606101011.png
125KB, 388x248px
>my university has a team for this
>mfw they're doing air propulsion as a substitute for maglev
>>
>>8686469
Nice adknowledgement of the topic of discussion buddy, really Im flattered you made me the topic out of nowhere. I wasnt replying to "compare yourself to musk. Why arent you musk?". To answer your absurd question, I was between 0 and 5 years of age during the dot com bubble (the entrepreneurship of kindergarteners was limited at the time), I didnt have a wealthy father who could toss me 30 grand on a whim, and Im not out of college yet. Ill get back to you on the rest.
>>
>>8675106
>How can you you even rely on your calculations if you are using fictitious forces to describe the system?
You know, gravity is considered a fictitious force thanks to general relativity.

Fictitious forces are common features of models at an appropriate level of abstraction. To think there's something wrong with using them shows that you're ignorant and poorly educated.
>>
>>8674469

It isn't even his project

the person doing this is someone else nobody cares about

All Elon Musk did was approve of it
>>
File: 1487467568411.jpg (44KB, 574x382px) Image search: [Google]
1487467568411.jpg
44KB, 574x382px
>>8687540
Hyperloop is a registered trademark of SpaceX
>>
>>8687509
Well, that answer is fine. You're pretty young then, so there is plenty of room for your mind to grow. I wish you all the best and hope you really do make a great difference. God Bless.
>>
File: yard_large-1400x522.jpg (259KB, 1400x522px) Image search: [Google]
yard_large-1400x522.jpg
259KB, 1400x522px
>>8687263
Trains are an eyesore 99% of the time.
>>
File: 6437375765464.png (284KB, 500x556px) Image search: [Google]
6437375765464.png
284KB, 500x556px
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 03687157.png (149KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
03687157.png
149KB, 396x385px
>>8688568
Not where I live
>>
>>8687263
>>8688568
>not realizing you can trade windows for 4kHD screens displaying outside views
Get on Elon's level fools
>>
File: 31b94020377183.562ea4ba06571.jpg (95KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
31b94020377183.562ea4ba06571.jpg
95KB, 600x407px
Who even cares about hyperloop nowadays.

The tunneling meme is where it's at.
>>
File: oroville.jpg (585KB, 1038x1480px) Image search: [Google]
oroville.jpg
585KB, 1038x1480px
>>8688584

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8688645
what about fucking earthquakes?
>>
>>8688690
What about them?
>>
>>8688613
>trade windows for 4kHD screens displaying outside views
That's a long trade downward. An you honestly imagine looking at a flat TV as substitute for looking out a real window? Anyway, you're not going to have cameras moving along the outside keeping up with the car.
>>
>>8674614
hi mohammad
>>
>>8674505
the tubes will be underground
>>
>>8688584
I think he has to pander like this because the SpaceX work force/viewer base are a buncha faggy liberals
>>
>>8675049
We have a semi-working LHC, upscaling it is clearly possible, but what they really should have tried to do was just get the LHC working at 100%
>>
>>8688613
But muh trainspotting autism!
>>
>>8674469
Here is the problems with this whole system:

1. High speed trains, a relatively old and familiar technology, is controversial enough in terms of cost and maintenance.

2. Now you want to build a high speed train in a vacuum and go the speed of sound, a combination of things that have never been done before. Hell the world land speed record without a fancy vacuum is 763mph and that was done over a few miles one time in the middle of an empty desert.
>>
>>8675112
It depends on how thick the hyperloop tube is. Potentially a bullet could cause a massive failure of the tube one atmosphere of pressure is quite a lot to subject a structure to. But standard engineering practices should keep failure due to a small failure, like a bullet hole, to a minimum. A much bigger problem is the loading stress of 1atm of pressure 24/7. Space craft can handle that but space craft are small and not a hundred miles long with supersonic buses zipping through them.
>>
>>8689634
>one atmosphere of pressure is quite a lot to subject a structure to.

No it isn't
People build tanks that hold hundreds of atmospheres of pressure
>>
Anyone else feel Elon musk is the PT Barnum of our time, how does he keep getting away with proposing projects that don't make sense(economically)
>>
>>8689640
>>8689634
Bicycle tires are inflated to pressures more than 1 atm.
>>
>>8690570
None of his businesses have been shown to be profitable yet. Even paypal is going under as we speak.
>>
>>8675098
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.