[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jordan content and measure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Can any math fag help me out with this? I don't actually want an answer for this problem but merely want to know how long your proof for it is, or if the solution is obvious to you / elegant. I believe I might have found a way to solve this but it basically takes a page or more and I have to restrict myself, in parts, to disjoint open intervals and generalize afterward, which I'm not even sure works since my strategy also implicitly relies on the idea that all [math]\mathcal{I_j}[\math] are subsets of [math][a,b][\math], which does not appear to correct.

The fact that I'm not relying more on (a) an (c) also seems to me to be highly suspicious.

So, are you guys able to prove this in a few lines or in an elegant manner or is your proof also tedious as hell?
>>
>>8672778
Incidentally, this is not homework but recreational.
>>
>>8672778
>>8672785
And, not so incidentally, I'm talking about PROBLEM (e), which is about showing that some family of sets for which the inner Jordan content and the Jordan content proper are equal forms a sigma algebra.
>>
Self indulgent bump.
>>
Last bump.
>>
>>8672790

The basic problem is showing that that Jordan measure preserves orderings like we expect(and honestly that's a big thing with lebesgue measure which is kind of ignored).

By this I mean if a set contains another set then its measure is greater than or equal to.
>>
>>8673296
I don't think showing [math]J(A) \leq J(B)[/math] whenever [math] A \subseteq B [/math] would do anything for (e).

Right now, I'm proving (e) by showing something about the Jordan content of unions of close and open disjoint intervals, which then allows me to state something about their inverse, which in turn allows me to state something about the Jordan content (and the inner Jordan content) of [math]S'[/math], but it's extremely tedious an relies on a proposition such as

>for every family [math]\{I_j\}[/math] of open interval in [math][a,b][/math], there exist a family [math]\{J_i\}[/math] of disjoint open intervals of [math][a,b][/math] such that [math]\bigcup I_j = \bigcup J_i[/math]

I'm just not sure this is the smart way to prove this. It's tedious. I just want to know if someone sees a non tedious way of doing this.
>>
>>8672778
What book is that from?
>>
File: mathematical_analysis.jpg (24KB, 300x478px) Image search: [Google]
mathematical_analysis.jpg
24KB, 300x478px
>>8674117
(Pic related)

Which I find excellent in that it really starts from the very beginning. It's an introduction to analysis that starts with taking you by the end and then ends up manifolds and so on.

Still, I gather that nobody has any idea how to solve question (e) elegantly?
>>
>>8674162
Thanks.
>>
What are some rigorous books about measure theory?
>>
>>8676559
>>8674162
This one certainly isn't bad, but it's not about measure theory per se.

I'm just bumping me thread.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.